Windows 10: Notepad open on startup

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 133
    win 7 pro updated to win 10 pro 64bit
       14 Feb 2016 #1

    Notepad open on startup


    When I boot up, reboot, Windows Notepad opens automatically with an error box "! Access Denied" - when I ok that it leaves a Notepad blank screen open. I close that and boot up is complete and I can work normally.

    Driving me nuts! any ideas? Cannot see anything in startup.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    14 Feb 2016 #2

    Can you please post the screen shots for startup and services.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 133
    win 7 pro updated to win 10 pro 64bit
    Thread Starter
       15 Feb 2016 #3

    There you. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	startup.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	64319Click image for larger version. 

Name:	services1.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	64314Click image for larger version. 

Name:	services2.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	64315Click image for larger version. 

Name:	services3.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	64316Click image for larger version. 

Name:	services4.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	142.6 KB 
ID:	64317Click image for larger version. 

Name:	services5.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	64318Click image for larger version. 

Name:	services5.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	64318Click image for larger version. 

Name:	services6.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	64320Click image for larger version. 

Name:	services7.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	64321Click image for larger version. 

Name:	services7.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	64321
    tanujchadha said: View Post
    Can you please post the screen shots for startup and services.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 3,365
    64bit Win 10 Pro ver 1803 Build 17134.48 and W10 Insider Build 17672
       15 Feb 2016 #4

    You might find some clues to what is causing your problem here:

    Notepad opens on boot
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 133
    win 7 pro updated to win 10 pro 64bit
    Thread Starter
       18 Feb 2016 #5

    Deleted all startuop items. Problem still occurs. Only change is that options do not appear when I right click taskbar. Restoring windows host process (rundll32) makes it work again. But notepad still launches.
    philc43 said: View Post
    You might find some clues to what is causing your problem here:

    Notepad opens on boot
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 5,076
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       18 Feb 2016 #6

    carrotmuseum said: View Post
    When I boot up, reboot, Windows Notepad opens automatically with an error box "! Access Denied" - when I ok that it leaves a Notepad blank screen open. I close that and boot up is complete and I can work normally.

    Driving me nuts! any ideas? Cannot see anything in startup.
    Questions if you don't mind:

    1. Are you using a Windows 10 or a Windows 7 ? Your profile does not mention Windows 10.
    2. Is this problem started since day one or just a recent issue ?
    3. If just recently, how long ago ?
    Is it possible for you to do a system restore and pick a date when you did Not have this problem as your restore point ?
    System Restore Windows 10
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 133
    win 7 pro updated to win 10 pro 64bit
    Thread Starter
       18 Feb 2016 #7

    Win 10 upgraded from Win 7 last year.
    It all happened after a large update last week. There are no system restore points showing.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  • Posts : 3,365
    64bit Win 10 Pro ver 1803 Build 17134.48 and W10 Insider Build 17672
       18 Feb 2016 #8

    carrotmuseum said: View Post
    Deleted all startuop items. Problem still occurs. Only change is that options do not appear when I right click taskbar. Restoring windows host process (rundll32) makes it work again. But notepad still launches.
    Did you get as far as exploring the desktop.ini files which were the issue in the previous thread? Read through to post #16.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  • Posts : 5,076
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       18 Feb 2016 #9

    carrotmuseum said: View Post
    Win 10 upgraded from Win 7 last year.
    It all happened after a large update last week. There are no system restore points showing.
    For future references only :
    I recommend to create restore point regularly when the system is running fine, or before and after Windows updates installed.
    I would also recommend that you create system image backup so that you can restore your system to the time computer is running fine.

    Meanwhile, wish you luck finding a solution.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  • Posts : 133
    win 7 pro updated to win 10 pro 64bit
    Thread Starter
       18 Feb 2016 #10

    Ok thanks - the ownership details did not work for me. Will try again tomorrow. Brain hurts today with this. Spent more time prattling round with Win 10 than any other Win o/s since 3.1!
    Do you know if it is possible to take the desktop.ini file from my laptop and use it on the problem pc?
    davidhk said: View Post
    For future references only :
    I recommend to create restore point regularly when the system is running fine, or before and after Windows updates installed.
    I would also recommend that you create system image backup so that you can restore your system to the time computer is running fine.

    Meanwhile, wish you luck finding a solution.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Related Threads
    Notepad Background in Customization
    Hi, I noticed a friend on Mac had a background where they could just type stuff in, like reminders to do things etc. Does anybody know if there is an equivalent for windows 10? Thanks
    till yesterday everything was ok but today suddenly when I start windows File explorer open automatically without any command, I did restart system thrice but same was happening. How do I remove this auto open of file explorer when I start...
    Windows 10 is a very nice OS... But it sure has some annoying stuff... Well at least on my machine... Maybe I have a Registry setting that is set wrong... Here is what is happening... I use a lot of txt files... But this is really ticking me...
    Solved Notepad puts Y instead of \ in General Support
    When I'm making a .bat file, the computer automatically puts some weird letter 'Y' as '\' but when I copy and paste the weird looking 'Y' lets say in this thread post it pastes as '\'. As some pictures are posted. 54240 This is my Font...
    ;notepad @="\"notepad.exe %1\"" @="Open &With Notepad" @="notepad.exe %1" the above dont seem to give me open with notepad in context menu unlike in win7. any ideas?
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:15.
    Find Us