Windows 10: Reinstall Calendar w/o a Microsoft account

  1.    31 Jan 2016 #1

    Reinstall Calendar w/o a Microsoft account


    First off, thanks in advance for any help offered.

    My new ASUS laptop came with Windows 10, so this is not an upgrade install, but an OEM purchase, and therefore not a pre-release build. My problem is this: I accidentally uninstalled the Mail/Calendar app that comes with Win10, thinking that they were two separate apps. In uninstalling Mail (which I have no use for), the uninstall also took away Calendar (done through a Powershell command).

    I understand I can get these back through the App Store, but only if I have a Microsoft Account. I do not want, and do not have, a Microsoft Account. Is there ANY way I can get the Calendar app back on my machine? I do not want to convert my local account to a Microsoft Account. Any suggestions?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 7,914
    Windows 10 Professional
       31 Jan 2016 #2

    Bookbear1948 said: View Post
    First off, thanks in advance for any help offered.

    My new ASUS laptop came with Windows 10, so this is not an upgrade install, but an OEM purchase, and therefore not a pre-release build. My problem is this: I accidentally uninstalled the Mail/Calendar app that comes with Win10, thinking that they were two separate apps. In uninstalling Mail (which I have no use for), the uninstall also took away Calendar (done through a Powershell command).

    I understand I can get these back through the App Store, but only if I have a Microsoft Account. I do not want, and do not have, a Microsoft Account. Is there ANY way I can get the Calendar app back on my machine? I do not want to convert my local account to a Microsoft Account. Any suggestions?
    @Bookbear1948

    You could sign in to the Store only with an MS Account, but you'll have to create an account nevertheless.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    31 Jan 2016 #3

    OK, I get that, but I've been warned that in creating a Microsoft Account, MS will look for and automatically upgrade any existing local accounts it finds on the machine to Microsoft ones. How do I avoid that happening?

    Secondly, can I delete the MS account once it's made?

    Third, will the reinstalled Calendar app work with my local account or only with the MS account it was obtained through?

    And thanks for your prompt reply!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    31 Jan 2016 #4

    I haven't heard of anyone saying that MS changed their local account to a MS account. What's wrong with a MS account? I've had a MS account since the beginning of Windows 10(Insider Program). The only problem I ever had with a MS account was when installing a preview build the MS account used the first few letters of my email address as my user name.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 7,914
    Windows 10 Professional
       31 Jan 2016 #5

    Bookbear1948 said: View Post
    OK, I get that, but I've been warned that in creating a Microsoft Account, MS will look for and automatically upgrade any existing local accounts it finds on the machine to Microsoft ones. How do I avoid that happening?

    Secondly, can I delete the MS account once it's made?

    Third, will the reinstalled Calendar app work with my local account or only with the MS account it was obtained through?

    And thanks for your prompt reply!
    Yeah, you can remove the MS account after, but then the Calendar App will only work as a generic calendar, then you may as well just use the one that pops out of the system tray clock.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    31 Jan 2016 #6

    Winuser said: View Post
    I haven't heard of anyone saying that MS changed their local account to a MS account.
    Several web sites and forums mention the forced behavior, such as http://www.howtogeek.com/230543/how-...re-hijacks-it/
    Specifically, this: "Recently, however, we discovered a super annoying way that your local user account is automatically and without your permission converted into a Microsoft account: when you first log into the Windows Store on your new Windows 10 PC your local user account (say “Bill”) gets switched over seamlessly to whatever email address you use for the Windows Store (say “bill@whythehellwouldyoudothismicrosoft.com”).
    Not only is this an annoyance but if you end up in some comedy-of-errors situation where someone who isn’t you logs into the Windows Store then it converts your local user account to a Microsoft account with their login credentials. Further compounding the problem you need their password to undo the mess (and, should you lock your computer or log out before you fix the problem you’ll need their password just to access your computer). It’s all rather bizarre and a very poor and underhanded bid to get people using the Microsoft-style login instead of the local-user login."


    Since I would be having to use the Windows Store, this is highly worrisome to me.

    Winuser said: View Post
    What's wrong with a MS account? I've had a MS account since the beginning of Windows 10(Insider Program). The only problem I ever had with a MS account was when installing a preview build the MS account used the first few letters of my email address as my user name.
    For me, it's a privacy issue.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    31 Jan 2016 #7

    Edwin said: View Post
    Yeah, you can remove the MS account after, but then the Calendar App will only work as a generic calendar, then you may as well just use the one that pops out of the system tray clock.
    Thanks for your reply. My use of the Calendar app was to be able to record upcoming appointments and such. The system tray clock doesn't allow that.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
23155 I tried to remove and reinstall mail but the Store now says Reinstall and exits when I click on it 23154
I have uninstalled the mail and calendar app per Windows PowerShell, now I can't get it to install per the command, get-appxpackage*microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps*|remove-appxpackage. It removed it, but now it is saying that command does not...
Okay, when I set up my computer (W10 Pro preinstall / Surface Pro 4) Windows put in my private address which is also my Microsoft user account - "myname@lastname.org" - as an Outlook account. It happens to be hosed in a Google Apps for Organizations...
Anyone know how to reinstall "Mail & Calendar" on 10162?
Hi, I have a GMX e-mail address which I added as an "other" account in the Mail app. However, I also have a Google Calendar connected to this account. As an "other" account, I cannot see my Google calendar in the calendar app. If I add the...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:55.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums