Windows 10: Windows 10: Cortana setup will not allow me to select Location

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    25 Jan 2016 #1

    Windows 10: Cortana setup will not allow me to select Location


    Loaded a free copy of Windows 10 a few days ago onto my old Dell insprion 1720 running Win7. All ok apart from setting up Cortana. Will not allow her to select my location. I am UK running English(UK) and UK Keyboard. When clicking on Cortana button only shows Search, Home, Settings and Feedback on Start side bar...

    No Notebook icon...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    25 Jan 2016 #2

    Hi, is the Location tile on the Action Centre (Windows key + A) flyout active- sort of 'lit up'- if not, what happens if you click it?

    Is the geolocation service running?
    (Windows key + R, type services.msc in the box)

    If you still have problems with Location, please see Fix 3 here:
    Fix: Cortana Is Not Working In Windows 10

    Did you do an upgrade, or a clean install?

    Try this:
    Cortana - notebook icon missing - Microsoft Community

    Note that in changing the language from US to UK English, several things need to line up for Cortana to be happy. See Fix 4:
    Fix: Cortana Is Not Working In Windows 10
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    25 Jan 2016 #3

    Thanks for your reply. In the end I loaded Windows 10 in again, this time without any of my data and every thing is now fine and I have a fast clean system. My internal camera and recording mic are missing drivers but I loaded an old USB mic which works ok with Cortana. Thanks for your help
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    25 Jan 2016 #4

    I am having the same problem. I tried everything you said and went to both links. My geolocation service is disabled and when I go to enable it I get "The system cannot find the file specified", and it doesn't switch. Occasionally it works, but usually it doesn't. A clean boot doesn't work either. What else could be causing my problem?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    26 Jan 2016 #5

    davegriff said: View Post
    Thanks for your reply. In the end I loaded Windows 10 in again, this time without any of my data and every thing is now fine and I have a fast clean system. My internal camera and recording mic are missing drivers but I loaded an old USB mic which works ok with Cortana. Thanks for your help
    Great- sometimes it's easier to do a clean install than diagnose problems you've inherited from your previous Windows (although reinstalling everything else and configuring it can cost a huge amount of time). You should have a more robust system. Just be careful not to fiddle too much with Privacy settings...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    26 Jan 2016 #6

    JD9999 said: View Post
    I am having the same problem. I tried everything you said and went to both links. My geolocation service is disabled and when I go to enable it I get "The system cannot find the file specified", and it doesn't switch. Occasionally it works, but usually it doesn't. A clean boot doesn't work either. What else could be causing my problem?
    Hi, try this (kudos member Teflon who researched it)
    The issue was linked to location services, which need to be set to "on" in the Action Centre. When I attempted to do this, I found the option was greyed out, which lead to looking at which services were currently running (via "Services.msc"). It transpired that "Geolocation service" was disabled, and I was unable to restart it. A bit of Googling took me to an MS support site, which said this was a known issue with Win 10:


    "Geolocation

    After disabling the Geolocation Service by changing startup type to Disabled, attempts to re-enable it will fail with an error message. As the Geolocation Service can no longer be started, Geolocation will remain disabled on the device and prevent location based functionality from working. To work around this issue, manually delete the following regkey using regedit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lfsvc\TriggerInfo\3."

    I edited the registry as described, and sure enough, after a re-boot, the Geolocation service could then be started. I opened MS Config, and made sure it was set to run at startup, re-booted again, and once Win 10 had started up, my "Location" button was live, along with an all singing and dancing Cortana.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    26 Jan 2016 #7

    dalchina said: View Post
    Hi, try this (kudos member Teflon who researched it)
    The issue was linked to location services, which need to be set to "on" in the Action Centre. When I attempted to do this, I found the option was greyed out, which lead to looking at which services were currently running (via "Services.msc"). It transpired that "Geolocation service" was disabled, and I was unable to restart it. A bit of Googling took me to an MS support site, which said this was a known issue with Win 10:


    "Geolocation

    After disabling the Geolocation Service by changing startup type to Disabled, attempts to re-enable it will fail with an error message. As the Geolocation Service can no longer be started, Geolocation will remain disabled on the device and prevent location based functionality from working. To work around this issue, manually delete the following regkey using regedit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lfsvc\TriggerInfo\3."

    I edited the registry as described, and sure enough, after a re-boot, the Geolocation service could then be started. I opened MS Config, and made sure it was set to run at startup, re-booted again, and once Win 10 had started up, my "Location" button was live, along with an all singing and dancing Cortana.
    I went to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services but could not find folder "Ifsvc". I will do a search and see if I have any luck.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    26 Jan 2016 #8

    What puzzles me is this: "The system cannot find the file specified".
    Exactly how are you trying to start the geolocation service?
    However, see
    Windows 10 Startup - Microsoft Community

    where the solution I suggested matches what you are reporting.
    Do check that as you said, and post a screenshot of the relevant part of your registry if not fixed.

    Otherwise:

    Can you post a screenshot of Settings, Privacy, Location please?
    Also one similar to this..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snap 2016-01-26 at 09.14.17.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	131.3 KB 
ID:	60747
    Is the RPC service running?
    Last edited by dalchina; 26 Jan 2016 at 04:48.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    27 Jan 2016 #9

    OK, thank you for your replies and time.

    A search for "Ifsvc" returned nothing, but "TriggerInfo" produced a mass of results.

    Cortana is temperamentally working at the moment, so I can't give you any screenshots.But a restart will probably brake it again.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    27 Jan 2016 #10

    JD9999 said: View Post
    OK, thank you for your replies and time.

    A search for "Ifsvc" returned nothing, but "TriggerInfo" produced a mass of results.

    Cortana is temperamentally working at the moment, so I can't give you any screenshots.But a restart will probably brake it again.
    Yep, restart broke it. Here are your screenshots:

    Location settings page:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	loc1.PNG 
Views:	1 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	60981
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10c2.PNG 
Views:	1 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	60982

    RPC service:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RPC.PNG 
Views:	2 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	60983

    Geolocation service:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	geo.PNG 
Views:	2 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	60984

    Error that comes up when changing startup type to "manual" instead of "Disabled" and clicking "Apply":
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	geo_fail.PNG 
Views:	2 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	60985

    Interesting thing though, is that, when I logged in, it started to work, then the notebook icon disappeared and it asked for location access. I think the problem must be an application starting on startup, but after a few days it must disappear because I don't have to restart my computer for Cortana to work randomly again. Hope that's useful information.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
In attempting to set up Cortana, I get the requirement that location services must be turned on. That is greyed out (which makes sense on a desktop with no location capability). But it is then impossible to proceed with Cortana. Duncan
Hello, Could someone help me please. I'm trying to setup Cortana and have been doing for some time now. I've fixed the issues regarding "Not Available in your Country / Region" by setting all my settings to UK and made sure they're all the same....
Hi I got a problem now. My laptop cant install Windows. This is the story : Im playing games with my laptop for few hours and then my laptop got a crash and then im doing force shutdown. And then im realize that im accidently cause some...
Cortana location enable slows wifi in Network and Sharing
I have a brand new HP laptop with 8gig of ram, and noticed that with cortana location enabled my wifi speeds slow way down especially since the last windows update. Has anyone else noticed this since the latest windows 10 update which was suppose to...
Hi, discovered I can't turn on 'Location'. 1. I can click the 'Change' button in Privacy, Location, but nothing happens. ('Location is off' is displayed) 2. 'Location' is greyed out in the Action Centre 3. The Network Location Service is running...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32.
Find Us