1.    24 Jan 2016 #1
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Pinellas County, FL
    Posts : 13
    Windows 10

    Silverlight Question


    New computer with Windows 10 wants to update Silverlight. I am not familiar with this program so I ran a search but the explanation is still "Greek" to me. What is Silverlight and do I need it or need to update it? Thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    24 Jan 2016 #2
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Posts : 1
    Dual Boot 10 Pro v1607 10 Pro rs2 build 14971

    Silverlight is a Microsoft program. It is like adobe flash. It is fine to update it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    24 Jan 2016 #3
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Pinellas County, FL
    Posts : 13
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Thanks John.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Silverlight is a Microsoft program. It is like adobe flash. It is fine to update it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    24 Jan 2016 #4
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,780
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    Quote Originally Posted by bagiocop View Post
    New computer with Windows 10 wants to update Silverlight. I am not familiar with this program so I ran a search but the explanation is still "Greek" to me. What is Silverlight and do I need it or need to update it? Thanks.
    If your plan is to use Edge as your default browser, I'd recommend that you do NOT install Silverlight. Edge is not going to support Silverlight. They are not going to play well with each other.

    If you are using IE11 as default, then by all means install Silverlight.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    24 Jan 2016 #5
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Pinellas County, FL
    Posts : 13
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Thanks for the info. I use Chrome. This Windows 10 stuff is too complicated.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidhk View Post
    If your plan is to use Edge as your default browser, I'd recommend that you do NOT install Silverlight. Edge is not going to support Silverlight. They are not going to play well with each other.

    If you are using IE11 as default, then by all means install Silverlight.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Kaspersky Lab discovers Silverlight zero-day vulnerability
Read more: Kaspersky Lab discovers Silverlight zero-day vulnerability | ZDNet
Windows 10 News
Initial preview of Silverlight bridge to UWP
Source: Initial preview of Silverlight bridge to UWP | Building Apps for Windows
Windows 10 News
Silverlight already installed?!
I'm trying to run a webpage that uses Silverlight http://www.freestockcharts.com/platform/v1 . When I do it informs me that this page requires Silverlight - and suggests that I download it. When I download it & attempt to install it - I'm informed...
Software and Apps
SKY GO won't play in Edge -Silverlight needed
Hi there. EDGE won't play SKY GO -- needs Silverlight and currently Silverlight doesn't support these types of "Addins". IE11 still works for this though. Seems edge needs a lot more work to make it a genuine replacement for other browsers...
Browsers and Email
EDGE - Silverlight - Chrome
Hi, I am trying to use "www.yomvi.es" (an on demand video player). I cannot use this on Chrome as it says Silverlight is not supported, this is fine as IE11 supports Silverlight. HOWEVER When i try to use Edge i get the chrome error message...
Browsers and Email
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:08.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums