Portable apps file association/open with//"Types.exe" app

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 173
    Windows 10 x64
       #1

    Portable apps file association/open with//"Types.exe" app


    Looks like another annoyance (don't get me wrong, i'm not a 10 hater ) : when i do "open with" and select a portable app, nothing happens :/ Also if in the portable app i tick options such as "show context menu", this won't take effect. All that worked fine on 7.

    I dunno for 8.1 but i guess it's same as 10? Anyways, is there a workaround? Can't live without that! Another thing : the great"types.exe" app that we all use(d) on 7 doesn't work here, is there an alternative or not yet? Perhaps it's just not possible at all to have such
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 5,286
    Win 10 Pro x64
       #2

    unko said:
    Looks like another annoyance (don't get me wrong, i'm not a 10 hater ) : when i do "open with" and select a portable app, nothing happens :/ Also if in the portable app i tick options such as "show context menu", this won't take effect. All that worked fine on 7.

    I dunno for 8.1 but i guess it's same as 10? Anyways, is there a workaround? Can't live without that! Another thing : the great"types.exe" app that we all use(d) on 7 doesn't work here, is there an alternative or not yet? Perhaps it's just not possible at all to have such
    The workaround is probably opening the portable app first and then open the file from there.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 173
    Windows 10 x64
    Thread Starter
       #3

    But that's not handy.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 14,216
    Win10 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro and Home, Win7, Linux Mint
       #4

    unko said:
    But that's not handy.
    My take on Portable Apps is they don't actually install in Windows therefore they don't write to the Registry. That's the advantage as Portable Apps can be use on any Windows computer without messing them up. They are intended to run from USB Thumb drives which gives them the portability and as such will result in having to do things a bit different from simply clicking an icon.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 173
    Windows 10 x64
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Hmm so that's why it doesn't work too well, that's cause they can't write to registry.. Well I'd better stay on 7 then..!
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 5,286
    Win 10 Pro x64
       #6

    unko said:
    But that's not handy.
    How difficult is it to do? Shouldn't be that hard. When you are looking for "workaround" it is not necessarily "easy".
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 173
    Windows 10 x64
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Double clic file vs open the app then open menu to open file (cause drap & drop does not work on 10 for this situation)..!!
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 5,286
    Win 10 Pro x64
       #8

    unko said:
    Double clic file vs open the app then open menu to open file (cause drap & drop does not work on 10 for this situation)..!!
    But does the portable app work if you open the file from it instead of double clicking the file?
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 173
    Windows 10 x64
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Yes, but do you realise the time loss it represent? Perhaps you're slow in your computer usage.. I'm not!
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 5,286
    Win 10 Pro x64
       #10

    unko said:
    Yes, but do you realise the time loss it represent? Perhaps you're slow in your computer usage.. I'm not!
    Relax. You are asking for help. I am just trying to help. My suggested workaround worked. A "Thank You" would be nice for my effort to help you instead of mocking my computer usage.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:47.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums