MS Office 2013 can't save files anywhere except in OneDrive (which I don't want to use).
- Win10 upgrade on Alienware 17 R2 (2015 model) from 8.1 went well - no errors.
- After using for a few days (normal shutdown / startups), used MS Word to create a document.
- Created my document
- Went to file save dialogue, typed in filename e.g. "status update.docx".
- Almost immediately, the MS Word file save dialogue popped back up with the same filename, but now appended with a "1" e.g. "statusupdate1.docx" and received an error message (1st clue things aren't right)
- Hit 'Save' and everything looks okay except the document name shown at the top of MS Word is "Document1" (2nd clue things aren't right)
- Choose 'File, Close' and dialogue "Want to save your changes to Document1?" pops up (3rd clue)
- Choose 'Save' and "statusupdate1.docx" appears as the filename -- no matter how many times I hit 'Save' the 'Save as' dialogue keeps coming back with the "statusupdate1.docx" filename
- I'm forced to choose 'Don't Save' in the dialogue to exit MS Word
- I CAN'T save in docx, docm, or doc in any location EXCEPT OneDrive
- I CAN save rtf versions everywhere
- Checked the web for fixes but didn't find any that worked
- Ran sfc /scannow
- Ran dism /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- Chose to completely remove MS Office 2013 and reinstall (used Microsoft's MSO total removal tool which removes all registry entries in addition to removing the files)
- After re-installation, experienced the same problem with MS Excel files (new problem after remove/install cycle)
- Checked out Microsoft's Known Issues with Office and Windows 10, but no joy - "https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Known-issues-with-Office-and-Windows-10-28d56d84-c16c-4763-8eac-e51e05a37a16
- Now every time I use Word, it also tries to save normal.docx which it can't save, and which takes multiple steps to finally abandon saving. Since word is used by Outlook, it also means that I have the normal.docx style sheet issue when composing mail or opening attachments.
- UPDATE: Installed Office 2016 in trial mode. No change. Exactly the same problem with Office 2016 as Office 2013.
Any help appreciated.
Trusteer product from IBM was the problem. Once removed, all applications work and save normally.