Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    19 Nov 2015 #1
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10

    Windows 10 Store won't open


    I can't open the Windows 10 Store on my relatively recent upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. It did originally work, but the start menu currently looks like this (tooltip when hovering):

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	store problem.png 
Views:	74 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	49334

    I've followed the PowerShell advice at https://www.jitbit.com/alexblog/246-...in-windows-10/ but this didn't work with errors like:

    Code:
    Add-AppxPackage : Cannot find path 'C:\ProgramFiles\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.1013.14.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppxMetadata\AppxBundleManifest.xml'
    because it does not exist.
    At H:\Downloads\reinstall-preinstalledApps\reinstall-preinstalledApps.ps1:35 char:2
    +     Add-AppxPackage -register $PackagePath -DisableDevelopmentMode
    +     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (C:\Program File...dleManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], ItemNotFou
       ndException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand
    and

    Code:
    Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CF6, Package could not be registered.Merge Failure : error 0x80070003 : Cannot register the Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.10.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe package
    because there was a merge failure with the following file: C:\Program
    Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.10.13.0_neutral_split.scale-100_8wekyb3d8bbwe\resources.pri
    NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 27fc5c35-2302-0000-3870-fc270223d101 in the Event Log or use
    the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 27fc5c35-2302-0000-3870-fc270223d101
    At line:1 char:38
    + ...  | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.I ...
    +                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : WriteError: (C:\Program File...ppXManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], IOException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand
    Grateful for any suggestions!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    19 Nov 2015 #2
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Posts : 3
    Dual Boot 10 Pro v1607 10 Pro rs2 build 14971

    Hi mctedo, welcome to Ten Forums. This is from the tutorial forum. Store - Re-register in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums . Make sure that the time zone, time and date are set correctly also, as that can cause syncing issues.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    29 Nov 2015 #3
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Hi mctedo, welcome to Ten Forums. This is from the tutorial forum. Store - Re-register in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums . Make sure that the time zone, time and date are set correctly also, as that can cause syncing issues.
    Hi John, when I try that I get:

    Code:
    Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CF6, Package couldnot be registered.
    Merge Failure : error 0x80070003 : Cannot register the
    Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.10.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe package because there
    was a merge failure with the following file: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Micro
    soft.WindowsStore_2015.10.13.0_neutral_split.scale-100_8wekyb3d8bbwe\resources.
    pri
    NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId]
    8efe6d5a-29bc-0003-b4ae-fe8ebc29d101 in the Event Log or use the command line
    Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 8efe6d5a-29bc-0003-b4ae-fe8ebc29d101
    At line:1 char:97
    + ... fest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manife ...
    +                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : WriteError: (C:\Program File...ppxManifest.xml:S
       tring) [Add-AppxPackage], IOException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageMa
       nager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    29 Nov 2015 #4
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Posts : 3
    Dual Boot 10 Pro v1607 10 Pro rs2 build 14971

    Try running the SFC command. It will try and clean up file integrity errors. This is from the tutorial forum. SFC Command - Run in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums .
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    01 Dec 2015 #5
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    White Plains, NY USA
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by mctedo View Post
    I can't open the Windows 10 Store on my relatively recent upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. It did originally work, but the start menu currently looks like this (tooltip when hovering):

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	store problem.png 
Views:	74 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	49334

    I've followed the PowerShell advice at https://www.jitbit.com/alexblog/246-...in-windows-10/ but this didn't work with errors like:

    Code:
    Add-AppxPackage : Cannot find path 'C:\ProgramFiles\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.1013.14.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppxMetadata\AppxBundleManifest.xml'
    because it does not exist.
    At H:\Downloads\reinstall-preinstalledApps\reinstall-preinstalledApps.ps1:35 char:2
    +     Add-AppxPackage -register $PackagePath -DisableDevelopmentMode
    +     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (C:\Program File...dleManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], ItemNotFou
       ndException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand
    and

    Code:
    Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CF6, Package could not be registered.Merge Failure : error 0x80070003 : Cannot register the Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.10.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe package
    because there was a merge failure with the following file: C:\Program
    Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.10.13.0_neutral_split.scale-100_8wekyb3d8bbwe\resources.pri
    NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 27fc5c35-2302-0000-3870-fc270223d101 in the Event Log or use
    the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 27fc5c35-2302-0000-3870-fc270223d101
    At line:1 char:38
    + ...  | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.I ...
    +                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : WriteError: (C:\Program File...ppXManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], IOException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand
    Grateful for any suggestions!
    I feel your pain...same thing happened to me. My upgrade from Win7 Pro was easy, and Win 10 worked like a champ until the Threshold 2 Update. After the update, my screen looked just like your examples. I spent 5+ hours with Windows Answers Tech Support on this issue. I have completed all of the suggestions detailed here, and run three different versions of the Powershell script to re-register the App Store and re-install the Win 10 apps. I have re-installed Windows 10 Pro three times. Nothing worked. According to a leading Windows Repair utility (it was installed by MS Techs, message me for details), "Due to a bug in the Windows 10 build 10586 the powershell command used to reinstall the apps and app store instead breaks them and deletes their install folders. Till Microsoft fixes this bug the repair app store is skipped for this version of Windows."

    So I guess we live with a "broken" version of Win 10, until this issue gets more traction. Most of the online solutions predate the Threshold 2 update, and don't seem to fix the App Store problem.

    I have some editorial commentary on this situation, but that does not belong in a technical forum.

    Many thanks to all who are looking into this
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    17 Jan 2016 #6
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10 64

    I had tried everything suggested to no avail and then happened on the answer in another thread.

    First, check to see how bad the problem is. Click on Start/All Apps and scroll down to the bottom. Do you see a bunch of weird names for what used to be the built-in Windows 10 apps? Yep, that's because Powershell removed them all. No command in Powershell will bring them back. Your only option to fix this without having to reinstall your apps is a "repair install with in place upgrade". It basically refreshes your installation of Windows 10 without affecting your programs or data. I completed this and everything works now. As an added bonus a printer driver that kept failing in Windows Update is no longer causing me trouble. Follow the instructions here:

    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

    There's a video if you like, but you really don't need it. The steps are pretty much:

    1. Download the ISO
    2. Run setup.exe
    3. Follow the prompts. Make sure it says "keep personal files and apps" when prompted. That's the default so don't change it!
    Note that the instructions can be a bit confusing. If you chose to "keep personal files and apps" then steps 15 through 19 on that webpage are skipped and you won't see quite so many screens in step 21.

    Note: if your update freezes at 32% (6%) then it's having an issue with USB connections. Just unplug USB devices until the numbers start going up again. No need to restart. For me my Android phone was causing it to stick. Of course Microsoft hates my Android phone.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    17 Jan 2016 #7
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 11,115
    Win 10 Pro (1703)

    Yes, the powershell commands previously used to fix universal apps now break them as from build 10586 or shortly afterwards. Last I saw comment on this, MS was puzzled and looking into it.

    The in-place repair install is the way to fix it, albeit it takes time.
    Afterwards you probably
    - need to re-enable system restore
    - reconnect your Wi-Fi
    - may have lost program-specific added fonts
    - may have 1 or 2 associations changed
    - will lose any system icon customisation

    but mostly it's a really useful repair option and a relative strength of '10.

    Alternatives? Use disk imaging periodically and before and after any major change.
    Aomei Backupper or Macrium Reflect (free) - full backup, security if your HDD fails, allows you to upgrade your HDD, and most importantly restore your PC to a working state in- say- under 40 mins.

    Disk imaging is a vital tool to preserve your PC and your sanity.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    17 Jan 2016 #8
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 25
    Windows 10 Home

    After my PC fell over, the start menu stopped working, so when I tried the "GetAppPackage" Fix, in which it should have worked, but now, it does not, I should have just stuck with my standard fix (restart but don't log in and shut down)
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    20 Jan 2016 #9
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10 x64 1511 (Threshold 2 10586.36)

    Quote Originally Posted by kevlar42 View Post
    ...."Due to a bug in the Windows 10 build 10586 the powershell command used to reinstall the apps and app store instead breaks them and deletes their install folders. Till Microsoft fixes this bug the repair app store is skipped for this version of Windows."

    So I guess we live with a "broken" version of Win 10, until this issue gets more traction. Most of the online solutions predate the Threshold 2 update, and don't seem to fix the App Store problem.

    Many thanks to all who are looking into this

    I thank you kevlar42 for this vital knowledge you've shared! I've had similar marathon experiences with software vendors until escalated to their sufficiently knowledgeable staff.

    I too regret I just broke my Windows Store with the PowerShell command and was already 2 hours into investigating it.

    Because of your sharing I know I'm just waiting with baited breath for Microsoft to provide a solution to this pernicious problem. Around forums it looks like the problem as existed since the 1511 upgrade (threshold 2) which is scary because 60 days have passed since!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    20 Jan 2016 #10
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 11,115
    Win 10 Pro (1703)

    Please try this, as I suggested above:
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

    It worked for me.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Windows Store won't open
Windows store won't open on my computer and most of my apps won't work. I first tried using this fix but it didn't work: "Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage ...
Software and Apps
Windows Store Wont Open
Hi, I cant seem to get my Windows store to open. My install is about a day old, and was a clean install. When I click the store icon I get a brief view of it loading and then it disappears. I've tried going to my app data and deleting the...
Software and Apps
Windows store will not open
I am having issues with the windows store in windows 10. It will not open and when it did a few days ago it would not download anything. I have a Compaq computer and downloaded windows 10 on a computer running windows 7 home edition. Thanks
Software and Apps
App store closing its self on open... Windows 10 RTM
Edit: fixed by deleting the folder: C:\Users\therock247uk\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.WindowsStore_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\perUserCache_00034001825B21B0 Hi, This started happening yesterday right around when the new AMD drivers were on...
Software and Apps
Solved Windows Store Won't Open
When I click on the Windows Store tile, it wont open. When I hover over the task bar it appears to be open but when I click on it nothing happens. Has anyone else experienced this issue within W10?
Software and Apps
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:49.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums