1. Joined : Nov 2015
    Posts : 1
    Windows 10
       14 Nov 2015 #1

    Removing Cortana, Microsoft Edge, Settings from all apps list


    First off Hello everybody and sorry this is my first post I am normally just a lurker. This forum, even though I have never posted ,has been a huge help with quite a few things and a great resource in general.

    Trying to clear out the All Apps list on the start menu. Most apps I have uninstalled and utility folders deleted. The 3 things left on there that I would still like to remove are Cortana, Microsoft Edge, and Settings. I do not want to uninstall Cortana or Microsoft Edge. I simply do not want those three things to appear in the list. i.e. I deleted the Administrative Tools folder from programdata/microsoft/windows/startmenu which stops the shortcuts from appearing in the list but I still have access to all the things within.

    I know its small but its important. On a side note I could have sworn i read somewhere that microsoft was going to be updating their upgrade system so you no longer had to do an in place upgrade before you could do a clean install. Does anybody know anything about that or is that not a thing. I do not seem to be able to find the original article I was reading and may have misread.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Aug 2016
    Posts : 40
    windows 10
       07 Sep 2016 #2

    Kabby said: View Post
    First off Hello everybody and sorry this is my first post I am normally just a lurker. This forum, even though I have never posted ,has been a huge help with quite a few things and a great resource in general.

    Trying to clear out the All Apps list on the start menu. Most apps I have uninstalled and utility folders deleted. The 3 things left on there that I would still like to remove are Cortana, Microsoft Edge, and Settings. I do not want to uninstall Cortana or Microsoft Edge. I simply do not want those three things to appear in the list. i.e. I deleted the Administrative Tools folder from programdata/microsoft/windows/startmenu which stops the shortcuts from appearing in the list but I still have access to all the things within.

    I know its small but its important. On a side note I could have sworn i read somewhere that microsoft was going to be updating their upgrade system so you no longer had to do an in place upgrade before you could do a clean install. Does anybody know anything about that or is that not a thing. I do not seem to be able to find the original article I was reading and may have misread.
    Bit of a late reply here, but the issue is still relevant so I thought I would reply.

    As yet there still seems to be no solution to this problem. Microsoft have bypassed the normal folders that list apps in the start menu so that some apps can't be removed from the list. This includes Edge, Cortana and the more recent Connect. As far as I am aware there is no folder, so there must be a registry thing going on here. I will continue to look in to the problem and will get back if I ever find a solution.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 6,611
    Win 10 Pro (1607)
       07 Sep 2016 #3

    Hi, if you want start menu flexibility, you'll need to choose an appropriate 3rd party start menu.

    Removing things like that is all very well, but as soon as you get a new build upgrade, they'll be back, as they will be if you do an in-place upgrade repair install.

    On a side note I could have sworn i read somewhere that microsoft was going to be updating their upgrade system so you no longer had to do an in place upgrade before you could do a clean install.
    There's not a great deal of logic to that in my mind.

    Are you perhaps thinking of an in-place upgrade repair to fix problems in upgrading to the next build so the upgrade might then succeed?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Aug 2016
    Posts : 40
    windows 10
       07 Sep 2016 #4

    dalchina said: View Post
    Hi, if you want start menu flexibility, you'll need to choose an appropriate 3rd party start menu.

    Removing things like that is all very well, but as soon as you get a new build upgrade, they'll be back, as they will be if you do an in-place upgrade repair install.
    But I am one of those people who is seriously annoyed by the way Microsoft is forcing things on us. I don't think it will be too much longer before I disable updates completely. Sure, some time in the future I may well face the issue again, but I will deal with that when it happens.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 6,611
    Win 10 Pro (1607)
       08 Sep 2016 #5

    Agreed about the way MS is treating its customers.. and making the PC less P - just can't personalise it as freely as used to be. Making sudden changes without informing people, and introducing problems and significant bugs.

    As regards the Start Menu- that's easy. Don't use it. Get Classic Shell (for example). Hugely better and familiar, flexible and configurable. And did I mention it's free? And you can launch universal apps from it if you wish? (No tiles though).
    classic shell start menu - Google Search
    Good search, and you can still use the rubbishy Win 10 start menu if you really want some frustration. Look:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	336.3 KB 
ID:	100403

    Shortcuts extracted from subfolders and listed in alpha order. Hmm.

    And just hide the Cortana search bar.

    Use disk imaging defensively, especially around upgrades as well as routinely (everyone should- it's invaluable in several ways).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Aug 2016
    Posts : 40
    windows 10
       08 Sep 2016 #6

    dalchina said: View Post
    Agreed about the way MS is treating its customers.. and making the PC less P - just can't personalise it as freely as used to be. Making sudden changes without informing people, and introducing problems and significant bugs.

    As regards the Start Menu- that's easy. Don't use it. Get Classic Shell (for example). Hugely better and familiar, flexible and configurable. And did I mention it's free? And you can launch universal apps from it if you wish? (No tiles though).
    classic shell start menu - Google Search
    Good search, and you can still use the rubbishy Win 10 start menu if you really want some frustration. Look:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	336.3 KB 
ID:	100403

    Shortcuts extracted from subfolders and listed in alpha order. Hmm.

    And just hide the Cortana search bar.

    Use disk imaging defensively, especially around upgrades as well as routinely (everyone should- it's invaluable in several ways).
    I might do that if they continue to limit us. I don't really use the start menu that much, it was just annoying me that there is all sorts of junk in there that I don't want...but that's Windows 10 all over. I have taken the step to disable updates on my PC's now.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Microsoft Edge Reading List Articles - Add or Remove in Windows 10
How to Add or Remove Articles from Reading List in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that will be available across the Windows 10 device family. It is fast, compatible, and built for the modern Web. Reading list...
Tutorials
Solved How do i uninstall Microsoft Edge and Cortana
These seem very, very, very useless to me and i want them off my pc because they cause an annoyance to me >inb4 op, cortana and edge are superior, op, why do you want to uninstall them? please just tell me how to locate these programs in my...
Software and Apps
Microsoft Edge Keyboard Shortcuts List
Keyboard Shortcuts List for Microsoft Edge Microsoft Edge is a new web browser added in Windows 10, and will be available across the Windows 10 device family. It is fast, compatible, and built for the modern Web. Keyboard shortcuts are...
Tutorials
Get Quick Results with Microsoft Edge and Cortana
Source: Get Quick Results with Microsoft Edge and Cortana | Blogging Windows
Windows 10 News
Microsoft Edge Cortana - Turn On or Off in Windows 10
How to Turn On or Off Cortana in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge has your chatty personal assistant, Cortana, right in the address bar. She's there to help you do things faster and easier—like make reservations and get at-a-glance...
Tutorials
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums