1.    31 Oct 2015 #1
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 267
    Windows 10 Home

    Laptop doesn't accept 64 bit software


    All my software is getting treated as 32bit instead of 64bit. For an example I downloaded this. Best Free Windows 64-bit Software | Gizmo's Freeware
    and it does it with everything I install.
    It does it all the time no matter what the software is. Does anyone know what is going on? Thank you in advance.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    31 Oct 2015 #2
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 3,808
    10 Pro

    I tried audacity from your link and it is 32 bit.

    What if you install 7-zip from here http://7-zip.org/a/7z1509-x64.exe ?

    Does that work properly and install to "Program Files" not "Program Files (x86)"?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    31 Oct 2015 #3
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Forever West
    Posts : 3,983
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, Win7 Home, Linux Mint

    The C:\Program Files Folder exists on both 64-bit and 32-bit versions of Windows. When the 64-bit version of Windows is installed there will be both a Program Files and a Program Files (x86) Folder. The Program Files (x86) Folder is used when 32-bit programs are installed. There are some 32-bit programs that simply don't work in 64-bit Windows with 64-bit hardware, hence the need to get the correct drivers for the version of the OS.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    31 Oct 2015 #4
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 267
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    The C:\Program Files Folder exists on both 64-bit and 32-bit versions of Windows. When the 64-bit version of Windows is installed there will be both a Program Files and a Program Files (x86) Folder. The Program Files (x86) Folder is used when 32-bit programs are installed. There are some 32-bit programs that simply don't work in 64-bit Windows with 64-bit hardware, hence the need to get the correct drivers for the version of the OS.
    So I don't have a problem? All drivers are up to date. Thanks Berton
    Oh as I don't know a lot about computers is it ok to put all your system specs on Forum? Just wondering about hackers!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    31 Oct 2015 #5
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 3,808
    10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by hollyoaks777 View Post
    So I don't have a problem? All drivers are up to date. Thanks Berton
    Oh as I don't know a lot about computers is it ok to put all your system specs on Forum? Just wondering about hackers!
    If you install a known 64 bit program and it installs to "Program Files" then you have no problem.

    Don't worry about updating system specs - there is nothing personal there. It helps people assist better if they know what model of computer you have.

    Just try to remember not to put your e-mail or ip address in screenshots etc - that is easy to forget
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    31 Oct 2015 #6
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 267
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by halasz View Post
    If you install a known 64 bit program and it installs to "Program Files" then you have no problem.

    Don't worry about updating system specs - there is nothing personal there. It helps people assist better if they know what model of computer you have.

    Just try to remember not to put your e-mail or ip address in screenshots etc - that is easy to forget
    OK thanyou Halasz
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    31 Oct 2015 #7
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 770
    Windows 7

    Whether an application is 32 or 64 bit is a basic characteristic of what it is. An application does not become 64 bit just because it is installed on a 64 bit OS. Some applications have 32 and 64 bit installers and you will be given a choice when installing. Many applications are 32 bit only and even when there is a 64 bit version the 32 bit version will be often be recommended for normal use. This is the case with Microsoft Office and most web browsers. Updating an application to 64 bit is a major job for the application developer and unless there is a compelling reason to do so (and the usually isn't) it often isn't done.

    64 bit applications will by default be installed to "Program Files" and 32 bit applications will go to "Program files (x86)". Even older 32 bit applications that predate and know nothing of 64 bit operating systems will be installed to the correct location. The OS does some pretty fancy work to do that. Normally you wouldn't be able to install a 32 bit application to "Program files" even if you tried.

    Running 32 bit applications on a 64 bit OS is very complex for the OS but for the user things usually just work. Many novice users install and use 32 bit applications without even being aware they have a 64 bit OS.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Laptop screen doesn't seem to be recognised
I have a Dell Inspiron N5110 from 2011. Windows 10 is installed and working, Using it right now but with an external monitor. Found several posts about booting into a black screen but they seem to only be the case when there is a cursor floating...
General Support
Solved Laptop doesn't boot after BIOS update
Hi guys, I recently bought a MSI laptop, and decided to update the BIOS. However after the update my laptop just doesn't boot anything, no USB, no hard drive, nothing. Can anyone help me out? I already enabled/disabled secure boot, used UEFI...
General Support
Built-in laptop microphone doesn't work
I've been attempting to use applications like Teamspeak or Google Hangouts, but whenever I try to use the built-in microphone on my laptop, it doesn't work. It did work when I was using Windows 8.1. The "update driver" button only says that it's up...
Drivers and Hardware
Solved What Software do I need to watch TV (through cable) on my laptop
Hello All! I've recently updated to Windows 10 x64 on a Toshiba Satellite A665-11T laptop. It features a TV Tuner Card and I was using Windows Media Center to watch TV. Now with WMC no longer available on Win10, what software should I use? I have...
Software and Apps
Laptop doesn't turn itself off after shutting down
I recently upgraded to windows 10 and when I try to shut down the OS safely shuts down but the laptop stays on meaning I have to turn it off manually (hold the power button). I have tried turning off hybrid shutdown but this hasn't helped. How do I...
Performance & Maintenance
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:14.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums