Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk

  1. Kyhi's Avatar
    Posts : 3,562
    Windows 3.1 to Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #251

    My original question was a general scenario when a PC with Windows 7 cannot be fixed using the standard sfc/ scannow so I was wondering how your utility could manage an older OS since it was so effective with Windows 10
    it seems 'DISM' is not supported for Win 7
    The program works by using Dism and Windows 7 does not have Dism...

    >>>>

    I could add a DISM Attachment and Point the Program to use it - in cases where DISM is not present on the Host (Windows 7)

    I do not have a Windows 7 OS anymore - So I have No Way to Test the Results - But You Can Test the Results, if you wish..

    Image_Health_Dism
    Last edited by Kyhi; 27 Dec 2015 at 09:19.
      My Computer

  2. OldMike65's Avatar
    Posts : 107,689
    Windows10 Pro (x64) 20H2 19042.964
       #252

    Question Kyhi, No matter what I seem to try I cannot empty my PendingRenames folder. I use to run this Dism command.
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase
    This does not remove any of those files now. Its up to over 650mb. Tried turning on trustedinstaller and let it run for 5 to 10 mins
    and that didn't work either. This has always been a problem for me trying to clean up this folder after running SFC /Scannow.
    Do you have any tricks on how to make Windows cleanup this folder???
    Mike....
      My Computers

  3. Cliff S's Avatar
    Posts : 25,625
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       #253

    OldMike65 said:
    Question Kyhi, No matter what I seem to try I cannot empty my PendingRenames folder. I use to run this Dism command.
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase
    This does not remove any of those files now. Its up to over 650mb. Tried turning on trustedinstaller and let it run for 5 to 10 mins
    and that didn't work either. This has always been a problem for me trying to clean up this folder after running SFC /Scannow.
    Do you have any tricks on how to make Windows cleanup this folder???
    Mike....
    How about a reboot, that's what PFR's are there for, to make changes at reboot.
      My Computers

  4. OldMike65's Avatar
    Posts : 107,689
    Windows10 Pro (x64) 20H2 19042.964
       #254

    Cliff S said:
    How about a reboot, that's what PFR's are there for, to make changes at reboot.
    Ok so just how many reboots then....as I have rebooted many times Cliff.... And do you mean reboot after running the Dism command.....or after running trustedinstaller ??
      My Computers

  5. Cliff S's Avatar
    Posts : 25,625
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       #255

    OldMike65 said:
    Ok so just how many reboots then....as I have rebooted many times Cliff.... And do you mean reboot after running the Dism command.....or after running trustedinstaller ??
    Actually one or two max should do it. I mean after SFC and/or DISM as both make changes. If PFRs are still there, then you could just leave them, like many things windows, after a certain size the file should be just written over anyhow.
      My Computers

  6. OldMike65's Avatar
    Posts : 107,689
    Windows10 Pro (x64) 20H2 19042.964
       #256

    Cliff S said:
    Actually one or two max should do it. I mean after SFC and/or DISM as both make changes. If PFRs are still there, then you could just leave them, like many things windows, after a certain size the file should be just written over anyhow.
    Ok Cliff....i'll run the dism command and reboot again.....just pisses me off....not really taking up needed space. Just hate windows not cleaning up after itself. They been their and growing for last 2 weeks. Thanks Cliff...
      My Computers

  7. Kyhi's Avatar
    Posts : 3,562
    Windows 3.1 to Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #257

    I have nothing in PpendingRenames... Have 23 files in PendingDeletes

    Running option 6 /resetbase now....

    will report back after a reboot..
      My Computer

  8. Kyhi's Avatar
    Posts : 3,562
    Windows 3.1 to Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #258

    now have 24 pending deletes... still no renames..

    Attachment 55903
      My Computer

  9. OldMike65's Avatar
    Posts : 107,689
    Windows10 Pro (x64) 20H2 19042.964
       #259

    Lol, mine is just the opposite problem Kyhi my pending deletes is empty, I just ran the dism command again
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase

    rebooted....still their 671mb
      My Computers

  10. Kyhi's Avatar
    Posts : 3,562
    Windows 3.1 to Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #260

    I Dunno.....

    try without /resetbase

    Not sure what actually Dism does or how or with what files..

    It would require a little more research into the subject...
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:17.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums