Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk

  1. Kbird's Avatar
    Posts : 2,223
    Win10 202H
       #1471

    PIRATAS said:
    Well, I found a way: I cloned a dual boot x86+x64 Windows 10 Installation USB pendrive onto the end of my second hdd :)
    Then I enlarged the FAT32 partition so to handle big boot.wim images.
    Then I edidted the BCD of both legacy and efi boot so to remove the Windows x86 name and replace the name with your WinXPE.
    Then I emptied the x86 folder and left only the sources\ folder placing inside your boot.wim file.

    Now I'd like to know if I can add a third boot option...how to do that? I'd like to add another WinXPE boot.wim to the list, but one thing is editing what is already in the BCDs....and adding a new one without knowing where to click and type is something else

    Any help? Thanks!
    If the computer is Booting in UEFI , you don't need to play with the BCD , as long as the small partition (say 3-8GB) at the front or end of the drive is, formatted Fat32 it will be found during an F12 Boot. You can mount any bootable ISO eg Macrium Res. or Kyhi's Res. ISO or the Win10 Installer and then just copy the files to the Fat32 partition. I even do it with a USB external 4 Drive Bay.

    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk-image.png
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 5
    Windows 10 64bit
       #1472

    Kbird said:
    If the computer is Booting in UEFI , you don't need to play with the BCD , as long as the small partition (say 3-8GB) at the front or end of the drive is, formatted Fat32 it will be found during an F12 Boot. You can mount any bootable ISO eg Macrium Res. or Kyhi's Res. ISO or the Win10 Installer and then just copy the files to the Fat32 partition. I even do it with a USB external 4 Drive Bay.

    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk-image.png
    Oh my...how many drives di you have?

    Regarding what you said..so I just have to create for example positions and just copy-past the content of the bootable usb drives or iso that I have?
    I mean...to have window 10 installation, should I copy the content of the usb into the just created partition, and then I'll see he UEFI selection for that partition?
    Same for the bootable editions of any WinPE live usb?
    But if I have more than one WinPE iso to add...how could it be possible to have more boot partitions from same hdd?? Isn't it one but partition per hdd??

    Thanks!!
      My Computer

  3. Kyhi's Avatar
    Posts : 3,615
    Windows 3.1 to Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #1473

    99.9% of PC's do not support UEFI Booting of x86 OS
      My Computer

  4. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 10,750
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #1474

    Hi there
    Not sure how much work it is to do --but any chance of getting this to work as a VImage boot (Macrium) - this can easily be booted up from an external USB. Then this shouldn't matter if it's an X64 or X86 image. Might be wrong on that but I can't see the problem if the macrium boot works which would then load the Vimage and then you are in business.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

  5. eLPuSHeR's Avatar
    Posts : 2,511
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #1475

    Please help me. This is very disheartening. I have spent all day creating ISOs. I don't know why but any version above 2018-10 gives me unuseable ISOs. No desktop icons. No accessable drives (drives with question marks). I don't know what to do. The process seems to run fine and at the end it says image created correctly. Also, all lines say result: 0 which I think it's okay. No errors or warning either on log.

    This is a capture of what's happening after booting.

    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk-whatsapp-image-2018-12-03-10.34.10.jpg

    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Version 2018-10 works but I am missing a lot of added custom scripts for adding apps. I have tried copying new scripts to 2018-10 folder only, but it is failing me as well.
      My Computer

  6. Kbird's Avatar
    Posts : 2,223
    Win10 202H
       #1476

    PIRATAS said:
    Oh my...how many drives di you have?

    Regarding what you said..so I just have to create for example positions and just copy-past the content of the bootable usb drives or iso that I have?
    I mean...to have window 10 installation, should I copy the content of the usb into the just created partition, and then I'll see he UEFI selection for that partition?
    Same for the bootable editions of any WinPE live usb?
    But if I have more than one WinPE iso to add...how could it be possible to have more boot partitions from same hdd?? Isn't it one but partition per hdd??

    Thanks!!
    Too many Drives currently :) couple of SSD plus a RAID Array ,a 2TB Internal HDD for backup with macrium and the 4 drives in the EXT.Enclosure , once I found about this trick here I have added one to Drive for emergencies.

    If you right Click an .iso you should get an option to Mount it, it will look like a DVD Drive in Explorer, then i choose select All and copy all the Files to the new 3GB Fat32 (or whatever size you need) Partition. Very simple to do , then just eject the mounted .iso like any other DVD in Explorer...see Option 1 here:

    Mount or Unmount ISO and IMG file in Windows 10 | Tutorials

    *** Note: If you use Nero or some other DVD Burning software you may not see Mount as the .iso ext. will be associated with them and not Explorer, so go down to Open With....>Explorer instead.

    **Note 2 I was not aware of the x86 OS not working with UEFI as it has been a longtime since I used and X86 extensively ( I still dualboot XP for one Program on another computer though.)

    KB
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 5
    Windows 10 64bit
       #1477

    Kyhi said:
    99.9% of PC's do not support UEFI Booting of x86 OS
    I just encountered a WinXPE image that doesn't like uefi.
    How to remove the uefi entries from hdd selection when boooting and pressing F8/F12??
    I deleted the efi partition in my hidden hdd, and now the entries does not procede to any menu and the main Windows 10 ssd boots up...but I still have the uefi entries at F8 boot menu.
    Should I remove the bootmgr.efi file from the partition as well and just leave the other bootmgr file hat has no file extension?
    Thankx!
      My Computer

  8. Kyhi's Avatar
    Posts : 3,615
    Windows 3.1 to Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #1478

    **Note 2 I was not aware of the x86 OS not working with UEFI as it has been a longtime since I used and X86 extensively ( I still dualboot XP for one Program on another computer though.)
    KB
    X86 UEFI supported by ATOM Processors (ie Dell Tablets)
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 5
    Windows 10 64bit
       #1479

    Well I did it!!
    Triple-boot options from same partition, all through BCD files in both legacy and uefi edition, using the structure of the Windows 10 dual boot x86/x64 installation USB I made using the Microsoft preparation tool.

    Options at boot are Kyhi's WinXPE x64, Gandalf's WinXP x64, and third is the stock Windows 10 x64 installation files for reinstalling or reparing.
    I sacrificed the x86 content folder for one PE live cd, then studied how to modify the BCD files so to add more entries.

    The partition is at end of second hdd, so to access the triple menu I have to simply hit F8 at boot so to see boot menu option from my motherboard, and simply select the second hdd or its UEFI OS version.
    Clean, simple and understanding!!

    If someone would like my BCD files for usage or comprehending, just ask and I'll send you a little zip i made for personal backup, along with screenshots.

    Good night 🌙
      My Computer

  10. eLPuSHeR's Avatar
    Posts : 2,511
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #1480

    eLPuSHeR said:
    Please help me. This is very disheartening. I have spent all day creating ISOs. I don't know why but any version above 2018-10 gives me unuseable ISOs. No desktop icons. No accessable drives (drives with question marks). I don't know what to do. The process seems to run fine and at the end it says image created correctly. Also, all lines say result: 0 which I think it's okay. No errors or warning either on log.

    This is a capture of what's happening after booting.

    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk-whatsapp-image-2018-12-03-10.34.10.jpg

    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Version 2018-10 works but I am missing a lot of added custom scripts for adding apps. I have tried copying new scripts to 2018-10 folder only, but it is failing me as well.
    Shame on me. I posted this at the wrong thread. This is pertaining W10XPE.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:03.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums