Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    15 Oct 2015 #1
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 267
    Windows 10 Home

    My apps keep going white on my desktop


    My apps keep going white on my desktop. And I don't know why.
    Can anyone tell me why? I am running windows 10 Home on HP Pavilion Notebook - 15-ab040sa
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    15 Oct 2015 #2
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,069
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Make shortcuts yourself for this on desktop ? Only Windows 10 apps you tried to put on desktop, as i see Mail app for one ? I believe this can not be done with Live tiles on the desktop, only other software on the system can.


    For any others can try to rebuild icon cache https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5645-icon-cache-rebuild-windows-10-a.html
    Can locate file and create another shortcut.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    15 Oct 2015 #3
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 267
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    That worked for 10 seconds. I had to delete them and drag them bag onto the desktop. Then they didn't respond so I had to restart. That wasn't responsive either so ctrl alt delete sign out, then fatal error with cortana. Now they are white again I think it might be acronis 2014 as when I was restarting it said it was terminating actions. So off to try and find out how to completely stop that running in the background until I need it. Thank you JDS
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    15 Oct 2015 #4
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,069
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by hollyoaks777 View Post
    That worked for 10 seconds. I had to delete them and drag them bag onto the desktop. Then they didn't respond so I had to restart. That wasn't responsive either so ctrl alt delete sign out, then fatal error with cortana. Now they are white again I think it might be acronis 2014 as when I was restarting it said it was terminating actions. So off to try and find out how to completely stop that running in the background until I need it. Thank you JDS
    Your welcome!
    Not sure i like error part with anything, had unresponsive system then.
    What worked, recreate icons did you try rebuild icon cache? Again can not put Live tiles there i am pretty sure.When put regular software icons, how are you doing this exactly ? Opening file locations here C:/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Startmenu/Programs
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    15 Oct 2015 #5
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 267
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    Disabled Acronis 2014 and rebuilt again and seems to be ok. Scared to speak to soon. But I definately think it was Acronis 2014.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    15 Oct 2015 #6
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,069
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by hollyoaks777 View Post
    Disabled Acronis 2014 and rebuilt again and seems to be ok. Scared to speak to soon. But I definately think it was Acronis 2014.
    Was some talk about compatibility of Acronis 2014 and Windows 10 back in June-July, not sure if it was fixed or need 2015 updates. Strange how it caused this issue, but not familiar with use of this software anymore .
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    15 Oct 2015 #7
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 267
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    Was some talk about compatibility of Acronis 2014 and Windows 10 back in June-July, not sure if it was fixed or need 2015 updates. Strange how it caused this issue, but not familiar with use of this software anymore .
    What do you use now ? And what is the best root folder for windows screen beam?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    15 Oct 2015 #8
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,069
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by hollyoaks777 View Post
    What do you use now ? And what is the best root folder for windows screen beam?
    I do not use any imaging software, but many use free Macrium Reflect. Again not familiar with use of this
    http://www.actiontec.com/products/68.php
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    15 Oct 2015 #9
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 267
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    I do not use any imaging software, but many use free Macrium Reflect. Again not familiar with use of this
    http://www.actiontec.com/products/68.php
    OK thank you for your help. It's much appreciated.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    15 Oct 2015 #10
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,069
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by hollyoaks777 View Post
    OK thank you for your help. It's much appreciated.
    Anytime,your welcome, are others here who are more familiar with products like the ones you mentioned if you need further help with those, feel free to post a topic for it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved So a white page overlay showed up on most of my desktop icons today...
32632In that image you can see the problem, along with he nasty uac overlay which I also want to remove now there's an overlay of a page too almost completely obscuring icons with overlays I wouldn't mind completely deleting the files for... So...
Customization
White paper icons in start menu apps
In my windows 10 start menu all my installed programs give a white paper (with curled right corner) icon. There are a few that give the original icon but most of them do not. I tried a new clean install but that didn't help. I also tried: -SFC...
General Support
How to get rid of strange white square on desktop during startup?
I have some strange square every time I start Windows 10, which will be gone when I click on it. Something is run in the background. I see nothing when Windows is just loading. When ESET anti-virus loads, it's still okay. And then somewhere during...
General Support
Desktop/Win32 apps missing from Start Menu "All Apps" and search
Hi, I'm having an issue and I'm wondering if anyone else has any ideas on what to do about it. Some desktop apps are missing from the "All apps" section of the Start menu. Most programs are there, but I'd say 10-15% are missing. Apps that are...
General Support
Metro apps to desktop / custom toolbar (also standard apps)
Hi there If you want to pin Metro apps / standard apps to desktop / create a custom toolbar with these as CASACADABLE items it's fairly simple. I made a post way back in W8.1 about this --method still works - no reg hacks, XAML knowledge etc...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:56.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums