Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 223
    Windows 10 Home
       10 Sep 2015 #1

    Anyone know what "Software reporter tool" is?


    This was downloaded into my Chrome browser this morning.
    Software reporter tool.exe
    Norton AV said it was safe.
    Can anyone please tell me what it is?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	4 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	36719
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture2.PNG 
Views:	3 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	36720
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 23,934
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       10 Sep 2015 #2

    Here's an explanation concerning that program from Google/Chrome..
    Google Groups
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 223
    Windows 10 Home
       10 Sep 2015 #3

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    Here's an explanation concerning that program from Google/Chrome..
    Google Groups
    It says in Google groups that the "Software reporter tool" will conflict with Norton internet security, which I'm running.
    It also says that you can remove it in "Windows add remove" settings, but I can't see it there!!!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 23,934
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       10 Sep 2015 #4

    Cornishman said: View Post
    It says in Google groups that the "Software reporter tool" will conflict with Norton internet security, which I'm running.
    It also says that you can remove it in "Windows add remove" settings, but I can't see it there!!!
    Well,, I would run Malware bytes and see what happens.. it could be malware of some sort.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Jul 2015
    California
    Posts : 186
    Kernel 4.x.x
       10 Sep 2015 #5

    Check if it's digitally signed by google. If so, it's not malware.

    Not something I'd worry much about. If you're really worried, block it with Windows Firewall from making outgoing connections.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 223
    Windows 10 Home
       10 Sep 2015 #6

    Hydranix said: View Post
    Check if it's digitally signed by google. If so, it's not malware.
    How do I check if it's digitally signed by Google?
    (ran Malware bytes and it didn't find anything)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 76
    Windows 10 Pro
       10 Sep 2015 #7

    Great info, I was looking for a way to reset Chrome to factory.

    You may be able to fix the problem by downloading and running the Software Removal Tool. Think of this as a “factory reset” of Chrome. It restores Chrome's original settings and removes programs that affect its behavior.
    Perhaps try downloading the SRT & install it? If SRT is already installed it will say already installed, if not use to uninstall bogus SRT. Of course you'll probably be back to square one with Chrome settings.
    Last edited by dogpark; 27 Sep 2015 at 12:49.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8.    10 Sep 2015 #8

    Cornishman said: View Post
    It says in Google groups that the "Software reporter tool" will conflict with Norton internet security, which I'm running.
    It also says that you can remove it in "Windows add remove" settings, but I can't see it there!!!
    Add and Remove Windows Programs is the wrong place because it isn't a Microsoft program. It is Google. Uninstall from the Control Panel/Programs/Uninstall a Program.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Jun 2015
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts : 1,930
    MS Windows 10 Pro - Perm Activation of 10585
       10 Sep 2015 #9

    Cornishman said: View Post
    This was downloaded into my Chrome browser this morning.
    Software reporter tool.exe
    Norton AV said it was safe.
    Can anyone please tell me what it is?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	4 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	36719
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture2.PNG 
Views:	3 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	36720
    That maybe same a Chrome Cleanup Tool

    please see below https://www.google.com/chrome/cleanup-tool/
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 20,938
    Windows10Pro 64Bit on 2 DeskTop Computers
       10 Sep 2015 #10

    Why don't you just delete the folder and file its in?? easy fix....poof gone.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Media Creation Tool: "Setup couldn't start properly..."
I was wondering if the ISO had been updated, so I ran the MCT again. I got this: "Setup couldn't start properly..." 33321 Rebooted, same problem. Downloaded MCT again, same problem.
Installation and Setup
Solved Getting "File System Error (-1073741819)" When installing software
Hello, Just upgraded from windows 7 pro to windows 10 Pro. The upgrade appears to have gone well except for the error which I will describe below. The symptoms: When attempting to install any software which requires administrator...
Installation and Setup
skipping "reservation" wait by using media creation tool?
I've done the upgrade on my computers just fine. My mom gave me her laptop to upgrade for her. But she needs it back soon. With the upgrade "app", I reserved the upgrade. But I'm not sure how long it will have to wait. I have the installer on...
Installation and Setup
Solved How to "upgrade" when using the media creation tool on USB?
Hi, So I ran the media creation tool and instead of choosing to upgrade this PC, I chose to write it to a USB stick so that I could do the upgrade at my leisure. So, I spent the time to download the 3 or 4 GB (we have super slow internet here)...
Installation and Setup
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:31.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums