Windows 10: Anyone hates shortcut arrows Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    04 Oct 2014 #1

    Anyone hates shortcut arrows


    I hate those ugly shortcut arrows and this, from XP on.

    Found this little tool to clean them up while on XP:

    FxVisor

    but, it is now called Vista Shortcut Overlay Remover.

    Still works great even on 10 :

    Both 32 & 64bit version.

    FxVisor 64bit version

    Notice , no ugly arrows:




    Flashorn.
    Last edited by Flashorn; 04 Oct 2014 at 07:12.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    04 Oct 2014 #2

    I hate them passionately, in XP and W7 I used to remove them as one of the first things after installations. Unfortunately when I tried (bunch of possible ways) I always ended up with blank space where they used to be and ended up being uglier than arrows themselves.
    Ps. Am I going blind or I can't see where to download it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    04 Oct 2014 #3

    CountMike said: View Post
    I hate them passionately, in XP and W7 I used to remove them as one of the first things after installations. Unfortunately when I tried (bunch of possible ways) I always ended up with blank space where they used to be and ended up being uglier than arrows themselves.
    Ps. Am I going blind or I can't see where to download it.

    No, well, I don't think you are going blind are you?

    Here you go (from Brinks Tut on Sevenforums)

    Shortcut Arrow - Change, Remove, or Restore - Windows 7 Help Forums


    Flashorn
    Last edited by Brink; 04 Oct 2014 at 10:49. Reason: replaced with source link instead
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    04 Oct 2014 #4

    There we go again, just like in Win8. This program requires some .NET version 2.0 to run, will try to get it now. Oki doki, installed .NET 2.0, installed program, check for it's process, told program to implement No bloody arrows, and it listened to me, ha !!! must have scared it to work. Thanks a bunch. Now I'll have to do it to 8.1 too. In Win 10 works.

    BTW. did you check Windows services ? there's a bunch of new ones and some with the comment: "Failed to read description. Code 15100"
    Last edited by CountMike; 04 Oct 2014 at 08:00.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    04 Oct 2014 #5

    CountMike said: View Post
    There we go again, just like in Win8. This program requires some .NET version 2.0 to run, will try to get it now. Oki doki, installed .NET 2.0, installed program, check for it's process, told program to implement No bloody arrows, and it listened to me, ha !!! must have scared it to work. Thanks a bunch. Now I'll have to do it to 8.1 too. In Win 10 works.

    BTW. did you check Windows services ? there's a bunch of new ones and some with the comment: "Failed to read description. Code 15100"
    Yes, I had to install .Net 2.0 for another little tool I use so, since it was already installed.
    I didn't notice it.

    Haven't really taken a close look at any of the Windows folders yet.
    Since this is an evaluation copy, I'm sure there are some services that
    are not yet installed or activated and you would get some errors or
    warnings. I won't really bother myself with these until we get the retail
    version.

    Your welcome.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    05 Oct 2014 #6

    Ha. works on Win 8.1 too, super-duper !!!
    As far as those new services go, going to print out both lists and compare. Haven't seen any of those referenced with running processes, must be something for new, not yet implemented features. Haven't seen any warnings about them either.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    08 Oct 2014 #7

    Flashorn said: View Post
    I hate those ugly shortcut arrows and this, from XP on.

    Found this little tool to clean them up while on XP:

    FxVisor

    but, it is now called Vista Shortcut Overlay Remover.

    Still works great even on 10 :

    Both 32 & 64bit version.

    FxVisor 64bit version

    Notice , no ugly arrows:




    Flashorn.
    That's what I use, I never could figure out why they didn't let us turn it off.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 62
    Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10 x86/x64
       08 Oct 2014 #8

    CountMike said: View Post
    There we go again, just like in Win8. This program requires some .NET version 2.0 to run"
    Actually doing it does not require .NET !
    First of all you can change the shortcut arrows to any other icon you want by using Brinks Option # One on that same Tutorial webpage which is a self-run non installing program within the WindowsShortcutArrowEditor.zip file there, it's easier quicker better and I Much Prefer it this time around.

    Also of course to stop the annoying text of Shortcut from appearing on created shortcuts - just use his Option Four, is a simple one line reg file, click/merge, and that's it, gone.

    ~~~

    My comment this year is that yes at first for Windows 10 I did the same thing as the rest of you, I wanted to use the "Vista Shortcut Overlay Remover" I did the years before, but when I started it to install and seeing that old familiar complaining about .NET not being installed and that instantly reminded me - and this time I wasn't having it!!! ..and remembering the other easier and quite frankly much better methods to use from that same Tutorial to accomplish the same functions without installing .NET or Anything else - it was easier and I now much prefer Brinks Option Four to remove the Shortcut text, and if you want Option One changing that big obtrusive white shortcut icon changing it to the little blue one (or whatever else you want) then use that too. I do both, click, click, and I was done doing both tasks in seconds.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    08 Oct 2014 #9

    Installing .NET 2.0 took few moments only, I have whole collection of all the full .NET installation. Before, when I tried thru reg hack I ended up with white space where arrows were, this way everything ended up properly.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    08 Oct 2014 #10

    I used Ultimate Windows Tweaker v2.2 which is like TweakUI for Windows 7 and 8x. It also does the job. I first used the tool in Vista and it's excellent. Be careful though.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Hi there I really LOATHE these voice activated command sets -- we have enough "noisy intrusions" already with people screaming away at the top of their voices on mobile phones in public areas or even in open plan offices - people just forget any...
Solved Windows 10 Hates Me in General Support
Well where to begin? I received those pop up warnings yesterday. Today I tried to install the two updates from WU. They seemed to install just fine. I was then asked to re-boot. I did and after restart all I saw was a black screen for twenty...
WSReset Shortcut in Software and Apps
I've just "discovered something that might interest people, that often have problems with the Universal Apps. I was browsing through the system32 folder looking for icons to theme, and stumbled upon the WSReset.exe. Normally you run this either by...
Solved Add shortcut in Browsers and Email
How do you create a shortcut on the desktop. Example, you have a website you use often, how do you create a shortcut on the desktop. Win 7 and 8 you could right click the mouse on the page in question and had the option to add a shortcut on the...
Shortcut Windows + E in General Support
Hi! Sorry if this has been covered before, I could not find a topic to do with it in the Search function. While Using Windows 8 I got used to using many of the Windows shortcuts, Win + R etc which I think I did because I didn't fully get on...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02.
Find Us