Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    07 Sep 2015 #11
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Posts : 1,395
    Windows 10 Pro (32-bit) 16299.15

    Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    Clean installing Windows 10 and have both Office 2010 and Office 2013 available and your thoughts on which should I use. I have been running Office 2010 on my systems and mainly basic use of Word and Excel. Also x86 or x64?
    If you ever need to work with two open spreadsheets at the same time, especially on a display without lots of pixels, Excel 2010's old 'MDI' style windows are more efficient at using screen space then 2013.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    07 Sep 2015 #12
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 234
    Windows 10, 8.1, 7, and Vista

    Gents, keep in mind that Office 2013 is sold in a different way from Office 2007/2010.

    In the past, a single purchase of a DVD for Office 2007/2010 would grant you the access to THREE licenses PER box.

    For Office 2013, you're only granted ONE license per DVD box. That means that for $150 (MSRP of Office "Home and Student" 2007/2010/2013), you're only getting one license while in the past you would get three.

    This is an obvious attempt from Microsoft to get people to use their subscription service instead, Office 365. However, unless you're in need of Office in 3 or more computers, Office 365 is actually a rip off.

    Keep this in mind while deciding...
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    08 Sep 2015 #13
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 403
    Windows 10 X64

    hello,

    I prefer Office 2013 (X64 here). Have Office 2010 also.

    If Office 2010 was the better one, i would use that, but 2013 is the better one.

    Jeff
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    09 Sep 2015 #14
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Kenilworth
    Posts : 137
    Windows 10 Pro Creator Editiion

    Except of course that Office 2013 has NO help (unless you are connected to the internet). Office 2010 help is always there.

    Dave
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    11 Sep 2015 #15
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 920
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bobjoe View Post
    This is an obvious attempt from Microsoft to get people to use their subscription service instead, Office 365. However, unless you're in need of Office in 3 or more computers, Office 365 is actually a rip off.
    I'm curious to hear why you think that Office 365 is a rip off. If you need Outlook, Publisher or Access you are into Office Professional and that's between $300 and $400 for a license. With Office 365, you get 5 copies of essentially Office Professional for $99 a year. You get it for the PC as well as the Mac. You get up to 5 users and each user gets 1TB of OneDrive space. You will always be on the latest version of Office, so when Office 2016 comes out, you don't have to buy and upgrade and you get free phone and chat support from Microsoft. And Microsoft also allows you to share your subscription with family and friends. So, if you split the $99 a year 5 ways, it's only $20 a year per install. That's damn cheap.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    12 Sep 2015 #16
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 234
    Windows 10, 8.1, 7, and Vista

    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    I'm curious to hear why you think that Office 365 is a rip off. If you need Outlook, Publisher or Access you are into Office Professional and that's between $300 and $400 for a license. With Office 365, you get 5 copies of essentially Office Professional for $99 a year. You get it for the PC as well as the Mac. You get up to 5 users and each user gets 1TB of OneDrive space. You will always be on the latest version of Office, so when Office 2016 comes out, you don't have to buy and upgrade and you get free phone and chat support from Microsoft. And Microsoft also allows you to share your subscription with family and friends. So, if you split the $99 a year 5 ways, it's only $20 a year per install. That's damn cheap.
    If you're a family of 2, $100 a year is not cheap at all.

    I'm not interested in OneDrive storage. I do not have a Microsoft Account and I use Dropbox for online storage.

    Office Home and Business comes with Outlook, I believe, and it costs $220 MSRP.

    After Office 2016, it will be at least 5 years until the next release. That means $500 spent on an Office 365 subscription. A lot more than just buying it once like in the past, don't you think?

    Free phone support from Microsoft? LOL. Even if they paid me to use their support, I wouldn't bother. It's just outsourced, hard to understand, minimum wage employees in India. They're not exactly the best "customer support".

    Like I said before, Office 2010 and 2007 came with 3 licenses per DVD box. In order to push their subscription service, Office 365, MSFT lowered the number of licenses to 1. It's a greedy move on their part.

    But then again, it's Microsoft. What do you expect??
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    12 Sep 2015 #17
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Covington, Louisiana
    Posts : 735
    Windows 10 1703 Pro 64
    Thread Starter

    Thanks for all the replies. I am running 2010 on my main system and will try 2013 on my laptop and see how it does.

    Jim
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    12 Sep 2015 #18
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Texas
    Posts : 11,002
    Windows 10 Pro X64

    Quote Originally Posted by bobjoe View Post
    If you're a family of 2, $100 a year is not cheap at all.

    I'm not interested in OneDrive storage. I do not have a Microsoft Account and I use Dropbox for online storage.

    Office Home and Business comes with Outlook, I believe, and it costs $220 MSRP.

    After Office 2016, it will be at least 5 years until the next release. That means $500 spent on an Office 365 subscription. A lot more than just buying it once like in the past, don't you think?

    Free phone support from Microsoft? LOL. Even if they paid me to use their support, I wouldn't bother. It's just outsourced, hard to understand, minimum wage employees in India. They're not exactly the best "customer support".

    Like I said before, Office 2010 and 2007 came with 3 licenses per DVD box. In order to push their subscription service, Office 365, MSFT lowered the number of licenses to 1. It's a greedy move on their part.

    But then again, it's Microsoft. What do you expect??
    They are a company in business to make money. All the things you dont like about O365 are the benfits for people that do use the other things like onedrive/skype/office. Different for all users and their preferences.

    Thats like someone posting about dropbox, then someone bashing it because they use onedrive.

    The point of this thread was to help op decide on which version of office he wanted
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    12 Sep 2015 #19
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Texas
    Posts : 11,002
    Windows 10 Pro X64

    Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I am running 2010 on my main system and will try 2013 on my laptop and see how it does.

    Jim
    I was in the same situation a few months back. After trying 2013 I found it to be more responsive, faster, and it has more features useful to me.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    12 Sep 2015 #20
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 920
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bobjoe View Post
    If you're a family of 2, $100 a year is not cheap at all.
    Depends. Do you need Outlook on 2 computers? If so, that's at least Office 2013 Home and Office and that's ~$250 per copy, so $500 total. So, at $100 per year, it would take 5 years of paying for Office 365 to get to that cost of just that first purchase. With Office 365, you could decide 2 years into it that you don't need it anymore and hence save yourself $300 that you would have otherwise spent. And when new versions come out, you get it as part of 365, and you don't have to pay for an upgrade.

    And if you ONLY need 2 copies, then you can sell the other 3 copies to some friends. $20 per copy per year is what it costs if you split it 5 ways. So, $40 for your needs.

    Quote Originally Posted by bobjoe View Post
    not interested in OneDrive storage. I do not have a Microsoft Account and I use Dropbox for online storage.
    I use DropBox too, but i only have 6GB of free space with dropbox. It costs $99 per year to get Dropbox Pro which gives you 1TB of space. So, if you spent $99 for DropBox Pro, you might as well buy Office 365 and get 5 copies of Office as well and up to 5TB of free One Drive space (1TB per 5 users).

    Quote Originally Posted by bobjoe View Post
    Home and Business comes with Outlook, I believe, and it costs $220 MSRP.
    If you needed 2 copies of Home and Business it would be $440. That's over 4 years of 365. And you get the free OneDrive space, thus eliminating having to pay for DropBox. And with Office 365, you get things like Publisher, and Access, etc. So it's more than just outlook. You get Skype minutes, support, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by bobjoe View Post
    Office 2016, it will be at least 5 years until the next release. That means $500 spent on an Office 365 subscription. A lot more than just buying it once like in the past, don't you think?
    It's never been 5 years between office releases. Office 2003,2007,2010,2013,2016, etc. If you only need it for 1 computer, then you could save money with a traditional purchase. But most of us have multiple devices, and want to keep up to date. If you were buying legit copies of Office previously, Office 365 is likely going to be cheaper...or at least not much more expensive.

    Quote Originally Posted by bobjoe View Post
    phone support from Microsoft? LOL. Even if they paid me to use their support, I wouldn't bother. It's just outsourced, hard to understand, minimum wage employees in India. They're not exactly the best "customer support".
    It's better than the NOTHING you get with a traditional purchase. Even with business plans, support has often been "per incident".

    Quote Originally Posted by bobjoe View Post
    I said before, Office 2010 and 2007 came with 3 licenses per DVD box. In order to push their subscription service, Office 365, MSFT lowered the number of licenses to 1. It's a greedy move on their part.
    It's business. They are out to make money.

    I'm all for Office 365. We are in the process of switching to it at work. Even at $52,000 a year, it's cheaper than it ever was for us to license office for 300 computers, and pay for Microsoft Exchange and cloud storage, etc.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Office 2016 (32 bit) next to Office 2013 (64 bit)
hi guys, is it possible to install Office 2016 32 bit next to Office 2013 (64 bit)? I hate reinstalling Office 2013 if the 2016 version is not good enough. Have to many rules that i have to recreate every time, also to many mails i need to...
Software and Apps
Solved office 2013
So i installed my office 2013 and it i guess trying to install the update threw windows update seems like service pack 1 is stuck at 14% and never moves. any idea or way to restart the updates
Software and Apps
Solved Office 2010 Migration - Outlook
Whilst my office suite (2010) seems to have migrated well, has anyone had any issues with sending mail from Outlook. I have a exchange server account in Outlook which works fine, however I also have a BT Internet (Yahoo version) pop 3 account,...
Software and Apps
Solved Win will not open office 2010
Gives me a message about single image cannot find files. ranoffcat that says office not installed, its in my list of apps, all sections word, excel,etc. I do have my activation key, and all office apps worked with win7.. where do I go from here to...
Software and Apps
Office 2016 Preview and Office 2010 concurrently.
Hi there I think this comment is allowed - there is an NDA but I think this is OK. The latest update installs OFFICE 2016 just fine and works OK. Office 2010 is left untouched so you can run BOTH concurrently. OUTLOOK 2016 though uses the same...
Software and Apps
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:25.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums