Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1.    02 Sep 2015 #1
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 244
    Windows 10 Home

    Can't see folder size in Explorer


    Hi,
    Can someone please help?
    I can't see the size of each folder in Windows explorer.
    If I open the folder, I can see the size of the individual files, but not the size of the folder.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	143 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	35345
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    02 Sep 2015 #2
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 3,755
    10 Pro

    It doesn't show it, no. You can right click and select properties or hover your mouse over it. Both show the size - properties shows more information such as the size on disk rather than just the nominal size that the tool tip shows.

    There are plenty of third party tools which will show you the size of folders (such as treesize free ) but File explorer will not.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    02 Sep 2015 #3
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 244
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by halasz View Post
    It doesn't show it, no. You can right click and select properties or hover your mouse over it. Both show the size - properties shows more information such as the size on disk rather than just the nominal size that the tool tip shows.

    There are plenty of third party tools which will show you the size of folders (such as treesize free ) but File explorer will not.
    Thanks! I downloaded treesize free, and that did the trick!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    02 Sep 2015 #4
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 3,755
    10 Pro

    You're welcome. I guess the reason File Explorer doesn't show sizes is it could get sluggish if it had to add up the sizes of all items in folders before displaying them...
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    02 Sep 2015 #5
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 761
    Windows 7

    Windows Explorer does not show folder sizes because Windows doesn't know, and cannot know, without a potentially long and laborious process. A single folder might contain hundreds of thousands or even millions of files, each one of which would have to be looked at to obtain the folder size. That is bad enough on a fast SSD. But imagine what it would be like on a slow conventional drive, or even worse, a slow network connection.

    See these articles for more information:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/...9/5750353.aspx

    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/...28/336219.aspx

    The blog entries are by Raymond Chen, a Microsoft developer since before Windows 95.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    17 May 2016 #6
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by LMiller7 View Post
    Windows Explorer does not show folder sizes because Windows doesn't know, and cannot know, without a potentially long and laborious process. A single folder might contain hundreds of thousands or even millions of files, each one of which would have to be looked at to obtain the folder size. That is bad enough on a fast SSD. But imagine what it would be like on a slow conventional drive, or even worse, a slow network connection.

    The blog entries are by Raymond Chen, a Microsoft developer since before Windows 95.
    With all due respect to the Microsoft windows development team it seems like it would be pretty easy to me to have windows have a table of folder sizes that it updates whenever a file is changed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    17 May 2016 #7
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 761
    Windows 7

    This is one of those things that seem simple at first. But when you consider the details of implimentation things become much more complex.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    18 May 2016 #8
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10

    Be that as it may. I don't understand why tiny third party software can do it lighting fast but explorer is incapable of implementing similar technology.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    18 May 2016 #9

    Quote Originally Posted by fsmart View Post
    Be that as it may. I don't understand why tiny third party software can do it lighting fast but explorer is incapable of implementing similar technology.
    Because those tiny programs concentrate on doing that one thing only using fast recursive searches , explorer is coded to do a lot more and a file copy for example would get majorly bogged down if it ran that recursive search to the exemption of everything else when you opened a drive letter.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    18 May 2016 #10
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 11,077
    Win 10 Pro (1703)

    XYplorer manages this quite effectively - a dual pane tabbed full-featured file manager, so I would guess there are other 3rd party file managers that can do this too.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Windows 10 Explorer - Folder Preview Resize
First post, hi. I downloaded Windows 10 on release and despite its flaws, I actually like it. I am finding an issue with Explorer though. I've noticed that the preview image icon for folders doesn't resize itself to fit within the folder...
General Support
Bug:Explorer not responding while going to another folder. Build 10162
I'm on build 10162. When I'm in file explorer and click any other folder in there, explorer freezes and restarts. Only way to open folders is right clicking and selecting open in new window. Anyone experiencing same issue?
Windows Insider
Solved Windows 10 Folder Size
Hi, When any of you right click on the Windows folder, what size is yours as I get 91.8GB... Can't believe how big this OS is and that's only the Windows Folder... UPDATE - It looks like the folder Windows/Logs is the problem it's over 70GB......
General Support
Explorer: not responding when opening folder with exe file
I have a folder full of *.exe files. When I navigate to the folder to read its content (files listed in "tile" mode), Explorer hangs for a minute or two displaying in the title bar "not responding". Eventually, the files are displayed but it is a...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:48.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums