Manually place an app in Task Manager startup folder?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 985
    Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (x64) Build 19045.2846
       #1

    Manually place an app in Task Manager startup folder?


    I have this great little tool called "CPU Usage in Tray" that I've been using for years, but it has a compatibility issue.

    Manually place an app in Task Manager startup folder?-cuit.png

    It runs fine, I have it in my C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp folder, but sometimes it doesn't run after booting up..

    Probably won't help, but is there a way to have it appear in Task Manager >Startup

    Or maybe there's a way to add to the Autoruns "run" list?

    Autoruns for Windows - Sysinternals | Microsoft Learn
    Last edited by kitpzyxmsir; 27 Jun 2023 at 18:35.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 6,554
    Windows 11 Pro - Windows 7 HP - Lubuntu
       #2

    You can add the tool under Task Scheduler (%windir%\system32\taskschd.msc /s).
    As there are many tasks loading after startup I suggest you delay the task after startup
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 17,041
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 22H2 Build 19045.4170
       #3

    And, if the tool needs Admin permission to run, set it in Task scheduler to run At log on rather than At startup.


    Denis
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 43,291
    Win 10 Pro (22H2) (2nd PC is 22H2)
       #4

    Noted you reported issues with this a couple of years ago:
    Display CPU usage in systray

    Might be time to move on and find one that's current.

    Random examples:
    Compact Tray Meter - CPU, RAM & Disk Drives Monitoring Utility
    Monitor PC from system tray with My CPU & Memory Monitor

    Both state they show the figure in the tray. The second is minimal.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 985
    Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (x64) Build 19045.2846
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Megahertz said:
    You can add the tool under Task Scheduler (%windir%\system32\taskschd.msc /s).
    As there are many tasks loading after startup I suggest you delay the task after startup
    I already have a scheduled task for it, but it is not listed in that active tabs summary list.

    If it matters, it does run when finding it in the task manager library, right clicking and selecting "run".

    I didn't find anything in it's Task Manager properties for "run at startup". All my scheduled tasks were only set up to avoid the "User Account Control" permission.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 6,554
    Windows 11 Pro - Windows 7 HP - Lubuntu
       #6

    kitpzyxmsir said:
    I didn't find anything in it's Task Manager properties for "run at startup".
    This is a tutorial I created to run disk cleanup automatically. On Part 2: Create a Schedule task you will find how to set it to run on startup.

    How to automatically run Disk cleanup on Windows 7, 8.x and 10

    You can right click on the task you created and select Properties.
    On the Triggers tab select edit. On top pull down menu select At Startup or At Logon. On the advanced settings you can choose the delay time.
    Manually place an app in Task Manager startup folder?-task-sched.jpg
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 43,291
    Win 10 Pro (22H2) (2nd PC is 22H2)
       #7

    It runs fine, I have it in my C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp folder,
    - when you created the shortcut, did you also set the appropriate compatibility mode for that shortcut?
    (Rt click, Properties...).

    And as I said, rather than spending time here trying to sort out a random issue, try a current product. There seem to be numerous possible options.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 282
    Windows 10 Pro
       #8

    I've had noting but trouble trying to get certain programs to fire off on Windows 10 start. I never had that issue in Windows 7. In Windows 7 and before I used StatupCPL for such tasks. Now I use Nirsoft's WhatInStartup to add programs that I want started on boot. However! Even that fails. So I made a batch file that fires off which in turn fires off the program. Here's what the batch file would like like:


    Code:
    start "" "Your_Program_Path_Here.exe"
    (Those quotes are important)...


    Now you just have WhatInStartup fire off the batch file instead which in turn fires off the program. The default Registry -> User Run should be fine. I place all my batch files in C drive.

    And no, Autoruns doesn't have the ability to add items. It's a great tool though for seeing all the crap that starts.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 985
    Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (x64) Build 19045.2846
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Try3 said:
    And, if the tool needs Admin permission to run, set it in Task scheduler to run At log on rather than At startup.

    Megahertz said:
    This is a tutorial I created to run disk cleanup automatically. On Part 2: Create a Schedule task you will find how to set it to run on startup.

    How to automatically run Disk cleanup on Windows 7, 8.x and 10

    You can right click on the task you created and select Properties.
    On the Triggers tab select edit. On top pull down menu select At Startup or At Logon. On the advanced settings you can choose the delay time.
    Manually place an app in Task Manager startup folder?-task-sched.jpg
    Thanks guys, very good to know. Don't know how I overlooked that

    Ironically , I did find a replacement app, Core Temp, already on my machine. I never realized that it had the ability to display cpu usage as well as temperature.

    Manually place an app in Task Manager startup folder?-core.png

    - - - Updated - - -

    F22 Simpilot said:
    I've had noting but trouble trying to get certain programs to fire off on Windows 10 start. I never had that issue in Windows 7. In Windows 7 and before I used StatupCPL for such tasks. Now I use Nirsoft's WhatInStartup to add programs that I want started on boot. However! Even that fails. So I made a batch file that fires off which in turn fires off the program. Here's what the batch file would like like:


    Code:
    start "" "Your_Program_Path_Here.exe"
    (Those quotes are important)...


    Now you just have WhatInStartup fire off the batch file instead which in turn fires off the program. The default Registry -> User Run should be fine. I place all my batch files in C drive.

    And no, Autoruns doesn't have the ability to add items. It's a great tool though for seeing all the crap that starts.
    I'll definitely take advantage of that when the occasion arises. Thank you
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 6,554
    Windows 11 Pro - Windows 7 HP - Lubuntu
       #10

    In my opinion the best hardware monitor is OpenHardwareMonitor.

    Extract to C:\Program Files (x86)\HardwareMonitor and run openhardwaremonitor.exe
    Under options you can set to start with Windows and you can configure what to show in tray and on the gadget. Very good

    Manually place an app in Task Manager startup folder?-hard_mon.jpgManually place an app in Task Manager startup folder?-hdmonitor2.jpg
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:57.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums