Slow local file open, registry ...\explorer\fileexts corrupted?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 20
    Windows 10 Pro
       #1

    Slow local file open, registry ...\explorer\fileexts corrupted?


    Hi,

    I noticed that text files in \downloads\ were taking 10 seconds or more to open in notepad++ even though notepad++ was already running. I wondered if the problem was with the table of what apps are used to open what files. I scanned the computer with eset and there were no viruses. I looked at the registry on the problematic computer ("web-pc") Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts and there appeared to be a lot of odd openwithlist key values when compared to a very recent computer called "surface". I have attached the registry exports of \fileexts\ for both machines.

    I wonder if some tool corrupted the \fileexts\...\OpenWithList\ keys on web-pc. If that might be true, how can I restore all the openwithlist entries under \explorer\FileExts\ to a default state to see if that speeds up opening files again.

    Thanks

    Web Dove
    Slow local file open, registry ...\explorer\fileexts corrupted? Attached Files
      My Computer

  2. steve108's Avatar
    Posts : 14,681
    19041.1288 - 2004/20H1 Home x64
       #2

    webdove said:
    Hi,

    I noticed that text files in \downloads\ were taking 10 seconds or more to open in notepad++ even though notepad++ was already running. I wondered if the problem was with the table of what apps are used to open what files. I scanned the computer with eset and there were no viruses. I looked at the registry on the problematic computer ("web-pc") Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts and there appeared to be a lot of odd openwithlist key values when compared to a very recent computer called "surface". I have attached the registry exports of \fileexts\ for both machines.

    I wonder if some tool corrupted the \fileexts\...\OpenWithList\ keys on web-pc. If that might be true, how can I restore all the openwithlist entries under \explorer\FileExts\ to a default state to see if that speeds up opening files again.

    Thanks

    Web Dove
    Hello Web Dove and welcome to TF ,

    Just looked at mine and it has some gibberish entries like yours too ("eabcd" for example) that don't end with .exe.

    If you change the default app for .txt files to Notepad or something else, do you notice similar behavior? How about if you try Safe Mode and a different account on this PC?
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 20
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #3

    steve108 said:
    Hello Web Dove and welcome to TF ,
    Just looked at mine and it has some gibberish entries like yours too ("eabcd" for example) that don't end with .exe.
    If you change the default app for .txt files to Notepad or something else, do you notice similar behavior? How about if you try Safe Mode and a different account on this PC?
    Here is the .txt entry:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.txt\OpenWithList]"a"="NOTEPAD.EXE""b"="notepad++.exe""c"="VERTEX-GUI-1.34.exe""d"="MechVM.exe""e"="firefox.exe""f"="i1Profiler.exe""g"="afjgihbcd""h"="PEMPro-V2.exe""j"="WORDPAD.EXE""k"="MaxIm_DL.exe""i"="acbj""m"="Everything.exe""l"="adcb""MRUList"="baedc"" n"="ba"

    Great idea. I will try a fresh account to see if that helps. I presume that will result in a clean new table.
    I am thinking that the amount of stuff in that table or some specific wonky entries are causing the delay.

    Now that I have an export of the current table for the current user, is it possible to "reset" the table to default?
      My Computer

  4. Try3's Avatar
    Posts : 9,378
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 21H2 Build 19044.1288
       #4

    I don' think there is anything unusual in your Registry entry. Here's mine
    Slow local file open, registry ...\explorer\fileexts corrupted?-registry-xt-key.png


    All the best,
    Denis
      My Computer

  5. steve108's Avatar
    Posts : 14,681
    19041.1288 - 2004/20H1 Home x64
       #5

    webdove said:
    Here is the .txt entry:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.txt\OpenWithList]"a"="NOTEPAD.EXE""b"="notepad++.exe""c"="VERTEX-GUI-1.34.exe""d"="MechVM.exe""e"="firefox.exe""f"="i1Profiler.exe""g"="afjgihbcd""h"="PEMPro-V2.exe""j"="WORDPAD.EXE""k"="MaxIm_DL.exe""i"="acbj""m"="Everything.exe""l"="adcb""MRUList"="baedc"" n"="ba"

    Great idea. I will try a fresh account to see if that helps. I presume that will result in a clean new table.
    I am thinking that the amount of stuff in that table or some specific wonky entries are causing the delay.

    Now that I have an export of the current table for the current user, is it possible to "reset" the table to default?
    I would think it's fine to reset the table. I did notice that your table didn't have a "default" entry like shown in Denis' screenshot. Is it there if you look in regedit?
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 20
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #6

    I logged in as a different user. For that user local files open quickly and the open with explorer menu comes up right away instead of being delayed for 10 seconds.
    In retrospect, resetting fileexts back to default will wipe several setups I have for special treatment of some file extensions. It would be better if I could get a log of events by time when the OS is scanning the FileExts list.
    It must be pausing during the app selection process. I notice that during the 10 seconds while I wait for a .txt file to open the CPU stays between 3% and 4%.
    When I disable ethernet, the first time I open the .txt file it takes 6 seconds rather than 10 seconds. For all subsequent times I open the file it opens instantly. When I enable ethernet the open time increases back to 10 seconds. It appears to be looking on the net for something during the app selection process.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I ran wireshark filtering for my ip-address during a 10 second .txt open action. 192.168.0.7 is a Synology NAS.
    Slow local file open, registry ...\explorer\fileexts corrupted? Attached Files
      My Computer


  7. Try3's Avatar
    Posts : 9,378
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 21H2 Build 19044.1288
       #7

    Please post a diagram of your
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.txt\OpenWithList
    entries [your diagram should look like mine].
    Drag around the column divider markers so that all the text can be seen.

    Denis
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 20
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #8

    Try3 said:
    I don' think there is anything unusual in your Registry entry. Here's mine
    Slow local file open, registry ...\explorer\fileexts corrupted?-registry-xt-key.png
    All the best,
    Denis
    Here is mine.
    Slow local file open, registry ...\explorer\fileexts corrupted?-image.png
    Note that the slow open problem exists for all file types: .txt, .jpg, .png, .pdf, .xlsx
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 20
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Sorry, I have been tied up with broken faucets and audio processors. I will get back to this tomorrow. Since I have an export of the FileExts key, I guess I will try loading the newer little changed export from my surface into my PC registry and see if that overwrites it and fixes the problem. If all it does it add things I guess I will have to delete all the entries in the FileExts tree first (which makes me very nervous...).
      My Computer

  10. steve108's Avatar
    Posts : 14,681
    19041.1288 - 2004/20H1 Home x64
       #10

    webdove said:
    Sorry, I have been tied up with broken faucets and audio processors. I will get back to this tomorrow. Since I have an export of the FileExts key, I guess I will try loading the newer little changed export from my surface into my PC registry and see if that overwrites it and fixes the problem. If all it does it add things I guess I will have to delete all the entries in the FileExts tree first (which makes me very nervous...).
    I would consider just changing the .txt section to minimize the area being changed/tested initially to see if that fixes the issue.
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:46.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums