Windows 10: Cortana - Microsoft makes me terrified to use Cortana

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 29
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
       19 Aug 2015 #1

    Cortana - Microsoft makes me terrified to use Cortana


    (Listen Up Microsoft heads.) I can't use Cortana. I cannot actually bring myself to open Cortana.

    It's sad really because I have been a PC Artificial Intelligence Freak since Virtual Personalities came out with Sylvie (Verbots) and Zabaware came out with Ultra Hal in the early 2000's. Over the past 15 years personal PC AI hasn't changed/grown much until Siri came along. Unfortunately, I'm not into Apple products. Microsoft came with a promise of a Siri killer. A PC AI that would work better than Siri. I waited patiently until Windows 10 release. I made sure had new working headphones and microphone. I made sure Speech Recognition was working and trained so I could make the most use of Cortana. I was imaging Cortana having all the features of Dragon Speech Recognition coupled with Siri's search abilities and personality. I wanted Cortana to be my Personal PC assistant. I was looking forward to this awesome ride.

    Then I started reading about all Windows 10 ways Microsoft could download my personal data for their own use - which in Windows 10 is ON by default if you blindly use the Express settings (like the conniving Microsoft wants you to do - notice the word Con in Conniving) as well as a host of other places to disable like unwanted behavior.

    Someone mentioned you could actually turn all this off with two registry hacks but my searching turned up at least 5 other places in windows that wanted to steal your data (through various settings all over the system.) I think this way is better than the registry hacks because this way I see Exactly what is trying to download my data and am stopping it at it's source item by item. The two registry hacks may cover the multitude of offending data thefts but you'll never know what feature is doing what or why.

    I found this on Cortana:
    Exercise Cortana Caution

    While Cortana may be one of the most exciting parts of Windows 10, she’s a bit intrusive. Microsoft prides itself on Cortana’s ability to learn about you and create a more personal experience, but in order to do this Cortana has to gather a lot information from you. This information includes anything from location, contacts, and even speech and handwriting data. Perhaps most significantly, all your interactions with Cortana are stored in the cloud.
    All of this is part of Microsoft’s attempt to make Windows 10 more personalized, but if that sounds too creepy for you, you can adjust your settings by logging in here. From there you can clear the “interests” data that Cortana and Bing learned about you, as well as clear other Cortana data including “Speech, Inking and Typing” information.
    "Logging In Here" is a link to Bing.com. You can log into your Bing account if you have one (I don't) and disable some of these - I am not using my Microsoft normal account nor my Insider account because I don't want Microsoft to get any of my private info. Why would Microsoft require me to get and use a Bing account when I can already opt out of a Microsoft account over a Local Account. That's more intrusive control by Microsoft I should not have to give. Again.. it seems no one remembers Microsoft (among others) getting caught in the NSA spying operation (PRISM) - and whats more scary - people like sheep don't seem to care.

    * --> So I'm looking for registry hacks to turn off those features of Cortana that I would otherwise have to turn off at Bing.com - but still be able to use Cortana normally. Any ideas on this?

    Microsoft.. really - You guys are hurting yourselves. I guess you don't care anymore because you are now giving away the operating system. Your plan as I see it is to introduce all this draconian behavior into windows (most of it snuck in behind our backs) then give the OS away so freely everyone uses it - thus providing a very large base of data mining for your illegal use and the illegal use of your partner the NSA with whom you happily work to circumvent my Constitutional Rights to Privacy. It looks like this is exactly what Microsoft is doing, and they are bold about it, not afraid of the consequences or the wishes of We The People.

    Microsoft, if you want to keep me and thousands others like me, you'll remove these things from Cortana or allow us to do it Locally without more intrusive stunts such as making us sign into another controlling account. No other company or operating system has such draconian tactics. Microsoft has no shame.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 9
    windows 10 home
       31 May 2018 #2

    My sentiments exactly!!! Times ten.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    31 May 2018 #3

    First, no-one's forcing you to use Cortana. I don't- I don't see anything related to it unless, say, I hit Windows key + S).

    Second, do you have any evidence (via a firewall or other monitoring software) that your personal data (files etc) are being uploaded as it might be read you are suggesting?

    Third, there are programs as you probably know, which are supposed to control so-called 'telemetry' - viewed as spying by some- note that if you use these you will most likely get 'Some settings are managed by your organisation' (in red) - which worries and confuses some. You may also find something somewhere suddenly doesn't work as a result of changing settings with such a program.

    Personally I'd be more worried about Facebook and other such social media sites.

    Microsoft.. really - You guys are hurting yourselves
    - this site is run by users, not MS.. so could I suggest you use a Microsoft site e.g. technet to make such comments.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    31 May 2018 #4

    @Lothar:

    I understand your concerns, so here is a link to a Tenforums tutorial that might help: Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10

    As to stopping the co-called "telemetry", I too share that sentiment and have used SpyBot Anti-Beacon for years now (ever since Win10 came on), on a variety of PCs -- and I've never had any problems as a result.

    You can get it from here: https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

    As to appealing to MS, this not not a forum supported by MS; so sorry, you are wasting your time doing that here.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5. hTconeM9user's Avatar
    Posts : 2,678
    Windows 10x64 Home Version 1803 (Build 17134) 345
       31 May 2018 #5

    Lothar said: View Post
    (Listen Up Microsoft heads.) I can't use Cortana. I cannot actually bring myself to open Cortana.

    It's sad really because I have been a PC Artificial Intelligence Freak since Virtual Personalities came out with Sylvie (Verbots) and Zabaware came out with Ultra Hal in the early 2000's. Over the past 15 years personal PC AI hasn't changed/grown much until Siri came along. Unfortunately, I'm not into Apple products. Microsoft came with a promise of a Siri killer. A PC AI that would work better than Siri. I waited patiently until Windows 10 release. I made sure had new working headphones and microphone. I made sure Speech Recognition was working and trained so I could make the most use of Cortana. I was imaging Cortana having all the features of Dragon Speech Recognition coupled with Siri's search abilities and personality. I wanted Cortana to be my Personal PC assistant. I was looking forward to this awesome ride.

    Then I started reading about all Windows 10 ways Microsoft could download my personal data for their own use - which in Windows 10 is ON by default if you blindly use the Express settings (like the conniving Microsoft wants you to do - notice the word Con in Conniving) as well as a host of other places to disable like unwanted behavior.

    Someone mentioned you could actually turn all this off with two registry hacks but my searching turned up at least 5 other places in windows that wanted to steal your data (through various settings all over the system.) I think this way is better than the registry hacks because this way I see Exactly what is trying to download my data and am stopping it at it's source item by item. The two registry hacks may cover the multitude of offending data thefts but you'll never know what feature is doing what or why.

    I found this on Cortana:


    "Logging In Here" is a link to Bing.com. You can log into your Bing account if you have one (I don't) and disable some of these - I am not using my Microsoft normal account nor my Insider account because I don't want Microsoft to get any of my private info. Why would Microsoft require me to get and use a Bing account when I can already opt out of a Microsoft account over a Local Account. That's more intrusive control by Microsoft I should not have to give. Again.. it seems no one remembers Microsoft (among others) getting caught in the NSA spying operation (PRISM) - and whats more scary - people like sheep don't seem to care.

    * --> So I'm looking for registry hacks to turn off those features of Cortana that I would otherwise have to turn off at Bing.com - but still be able to use Cortana normally. Any ideas on this?

    Microsoft.. really - You guys are hurting yourselves. I guess you don't care anymore because you are now giving away the operating system. Your plan as I see it is to introduce all this draconian behavior into windows (most of it snuck in behind our backs) then give the OS away so freely everyone uses it - thus providing a very large base of data mining for your illegal use and the illegal use of your partner the NSA with whom you happily work to circumvent my Constitutional Rights to Privacy. It looks like this is exactly what Microsoft is doing, and they are bold about it, not afraid of the consequences or the wishes of We The People.

    Microsoft, if you want to keep me and thousands others like me, you'll remove these things from Cortana or allow us to do it Locally without more intrusive stunts such as making us sign into another controlling account. No other company or operating system has such draconian tactics. Microsoft has no shame.
    I use Cortana on here and on my Windows 10 phone. I have not found anything that suggests what you have put. Google is in my opinion the one to watch. I have used Cortana from day one and trust her completely
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    31 May 2018 #6

    It makes me laugh talking about artificial intelligence. Not one system has passed the Turing Test (claims have been made but flawed).

    Cortana, Alexa, Siri etc are just fairly sophisticated programs mimicing intelligence. We are decades, possibly centuries away from genuine artificial intelligence, if indeed it will ever exist.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    31 May 2018 #7

    cereberus said: View Post
    It makes me laugh talking about artificial intelligence. Not one system has passed the Turing Test (claims have been made but flawed).

    Cortana, Alexa, Siri etc are just fairly sophisticated programs mimicing intelligence. We are decades, possibly centuries away from genuine artificial intelligence, if indeed it will ever exist.
    Indeed, Cortana is uselless
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8. hTconeM9user's Avatar
    Posts : 2,678
    Windows 10x64 Home Version 1803 (Build 17134) 345
       31 May 2018 #8

    cereberus said: View Post
    It makes me laugh talking about artificial intelligence. Not one system has passed the Turing Test (claims have been made but flawed).

    Cortana, Alexa, Siri etc are just fairly sophisticated programs mimicing intelligence. We are decades, possibly centuries away from genuine artificial intelligence, if indeed it will ever exist.
    Read what Cortana is going to do for you later
    The future of Cortana is all about helping you work better on Windows 10 and beyond | Windows Central
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    31 May 2018 #9

    hTconeM9user said: View Post
    Not Much per your source

    At this point, there's nothing Microsoft can do to compete with Google or Amazon. Cortana has fallen too far behind to play catch up, and honestly, it doesn't look like Microsoft wants to compete in the digital assistant market anyway, at least not in the consumer space. If they did, we'd have seen some action from Microsoft by now fighting back, but we haven't. So, what's going on? If Cortana is alive and kicking internally, why isn't Cortana improving on the surface?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    31 May 2018 #10

    Well, I can say
    'Hey Cortana, open Firefox' - which works.
    but
    'Hey Cortana, close Firefox' - launches a Bing search.

    I think that's an open and closed case.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
These seem very, very, very useless to me and i want them off my pc because they cause an annoyance to me >inb4 op, cortana and edge are superior, op, why do you want to uninstall them? please just tell me how to locate these programs in my...
Hello, Could someone help me please. I'm trying to setup Cortana and have been doing for some time now. I've fixed the issues regarding "Not Available in your Country / Region" by setting all my settings to UK and made sure they're all the same....
Source: Cortana Makes Friends with Your Favorite Apps
Microsoft Cortana in Software and Apps
Microsoft Cortana waiting in the wings, as well as Microsoft Cloud Experience Host. 5754 Cortana only opens the Bing Search App for now, which is associated with the search icon on the taskbar. 5755 The Microsoft Cloud Experience Host is...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:38.
Find Us