Announcing WinSetView (Tool to Globally Set Explorer Folder Views)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Edwin's Avatar
    Posts : 17,162
    Windows 10
       #11

    Some things are dickered..., I'll keep testing...

    Announcing WinSetView (Tool to Globally Set Explorer Folder Views)-000713.png

    ... Changes Open and Save dialog's though!
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 55
    Windows 10 20H2
    Thread Starter
       #12

    @Edwin, what folder are we looking at here? I'm poking around on my machine trying to find a place where I don't get "Content", but do get "Auto arrange" and "Align to grid" (implies Desktop) and somehow can get a Details view with thumbnails. Can't find a match. Apparently, prior to Windows 10 1703, there were keyboard shortcuts to change the Desktop to details view. That's the closest match I could find. Am I missing something obvious?
      My Computer

  3. Edwin's Avatar
    Posts : 17,162
    Windows 10
       #13

    Brake4bots said:
    @Edwin, what folder are we looking at here?..., Am I missing something obvious?...
    Not sure!
    I shot for Details view globally, but got details plus thumbnails in User/Pictures folder only!
      My Computer

  4. Callender's Avatar
    Posts : 4,104
    N/A
       #14

    Maybe QTTabBar is installed? Looking at @Edwin's screenshot. I'm not sure.

    Anyway just for reference WinSetView works fine for me. If I use a third party file browser I can additionally set custom views for up to 10,000 folders with settings remembered (by the application). It doesn't affect folder views in Explorer.


      My Computer


  5. Posts : 55
    Windows 10 20H2
    Thread Starter
       #15

    Edwin said:
    Not sure!
    I shot for Details view globally, but got details plus thumbnails in User/Pictures folder only!
    Well, I've never seen a view like that before. Maybe someone else will chime in with an explanation. To resolve it, I would try using the option to reset to Windows default views first and then try setting to Details globally. Let me know how that goes. If it doesn't work, I have another idea, but I'll wait to hear back first.
      My Computer

  6. RickC's Avatar
    Posts : 681
    Windows 7 + 10
       #16

    Brake4bots - Unfortunately I'm seeing an error when I double-click on the HTA file.

    From what I can work out from line 62, it's working out the screen scaling... yet my laptop is using the default 100% and resolution is also set to its default. I've also checked the value of HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics\AppliedDPI and it's set to 96.

    Announcing WinSetView (Tool to Globally Set Explorer Folder Views)-winsetview_error.png

    Any idea about the cause of this error?
      My Computer

  7. Edwin's Avatar
    Posts : 17,162
    Windows 10
       #17

    Brake4bots said:
    Well, I've never seen a view like that before. Maybe someone else will chime in with an explanation. To resolve it, I would try using the option to reset to Windows default views first and then try setting to Details globally. Let me know how that goes. If it doesn't work, I have another idea, but I'll wait to hear back first.
    3 times a charm???

    Nope!

    Works everywhere accept Pictures and Videos...

    Announcing WinSetView (Tool to Globally Set Explorer Folder Views)-000717.png

    ... course, as @Callender said, I've got QTTabBar, Old/New Explorer and a myriad of other sh stuff on here!!!
      My Computer

  8. Edwin's Avatar
    Posts : 17,162
    Windows 10
       #18

    @Brake4bots

    Any chance to enable global column widths as well?

    Announcing WinSetView (Tool to Globally Set Explorer Folder Views)-000718.png
      My Computer

  9. Edwin's Avatar
    Posts : 17,162
    Windows 10
       #19

    edit...

    although the dickered folders show Details, I click on Details again and they are corrected...
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 55
    Windows 10 20H2
    Thread Starter
       #20

    RickC said:
    Brake4bots - Unfortunately I'm seeing an error when I double-click on the HTA file.

    From what I can work out from line 62, it's working out the screen scaling... yet my laptop is using the default 100% and resolution is also set to its default. I've also checked the value of HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics\AppliedDPI and it's set to 96.

    Announcing WinSetView (Tool to Globally Set Explorer Folder Views)-winsetview_error.png

    Any idea about the cause of this error?
    Can you go into Regedit and take a screenshot of any key under:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\PerMonitorSettings

    If there are no keys under PerMonitorSettings, that would explain the error

    Here's what mine looks like:
    Announcing WinSetView (Tool to Globally Set Explorer Folder Views)-1.png

    - - - Updated - - -
    @RickC Don't worry about the registry screenshot. I just updated the HTA to deal with a PerMonitorSettings key that can't be enumerated (probably empty in your case). Please redownload. You shouldn't get an error with the updated code.

    The screen scaling is an interesting challenge. A custom scale factor is very easy to find by reading HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics\AppliedDPI, but the quick, standard 125 and 150 scaling options do not change that value. Instead, it's set as a "DPIValue" entry under your display monitor's entry (under PerMonitorSettings) as 0 for default (or custom), 1 for 125, and 2 for 150.

    Those two checks provide enough information to scale horizontally, but the vertical scale is not linear. To get that right I have to get a value for the scroll height of the dialog elements (after setting the width correctly so nothing is wrapped) and then resize vertically based on that value.

    I couldn't find any references online that covered this completely. Some trial and error was required. Fun stuff.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Edwin said:
    @Brake4bots

    Any chance to enable global column widths as well?

    Announcing WinSetView (Tool to Globally Set Explorer Folder Views)-000718.png
    That's a feature I would like too. I'm looking into it for a future update.
      My Computer


 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:16.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums