Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    17 Aug 2015 #1
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 115
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit

    Windows Tracking Disable Tool?


    Is this safe?

    http://www.myce.com/news/developer-c...dows-10-76896/

    I really don't like the idea of Microsoft tracking everything I do.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    19 Aug 2015 #2
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 115
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by possom2009 View Post
    Is this safe? http://www.myce.com/news/developer-c...dows-10-76896/ I really don't like the idea of Microsoft tracking everything I do.
    I guess no one else is worried about their privacy.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    19 Aug 2015 #3
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 18,085
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by possom2009 View Post
    I guess no one else is worried about their privacy.
    Google and Facebook is even worse, you can't escape, Tin Foil Fan Club BEWARE, Resistance is futile....
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    19 Aug 2015 #4
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 401
    Windows 10 Pro

    This is also a nice little tool to stop Windows 10 from sending too much info back home:

    https://blog.oo-software.com/en/wind...e-home-anymore
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    19 Aug 2015 #5
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    San Jose, California
    Posts : 2,207
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    20 Aug 2015 #6
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 115
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter

    Thanks!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    20 Aug 2015 #7
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 610
    W10

    There are a few tools around currently. I have not tested them and basically I consider each and every one of them to be unsafe. There have for example been reports about DoNotSpy10. While it claims that it would help protect your privacy, it by default installs another software called OpenCandy. This software by several antivirus manufacturers is flagged as unwanted software. It scans your PC and "offers" you even more junk to install.

    What I have heard is that Christian Taubenheim, the developer of xp-AntiSpy, wants to revive his great tool. This would be something I would try out.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    20 Aug 2015 #8
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Trnava
    Posts : 2,983
    10.4 Home 1709 x64

    You can use any tool you want, apparently it will not stop Windows 10 at all.

    A Traffic Analysis of Windows 10 - root@localghost:~#

    For the record, I have disabled various logging, services and tasks and I have noticed one running.
    It can not be disabled (as the only one), so I deleted it and it no longer runs. Maybe it was responsible?

    Once removed, it can not be restored, probably used by MS account, so do not just blindly remove it.

    Code:
    schtasks /DELETE /TN "Microsoft\Windows\SettingSync\BackgroundUploadTask" /F
    Not to mention mobsync.exe, which runs regularly, until you take all the ownership out of it.
    Last edited by TairikuOkami; 20 Aug 2015 at 17:22.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    21 Aug 2015 #9
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 401
    Windows 10 Pro

    For me it's not a general problem that Windows communicates with MS servers. It's just a question of how much and which info is actually transmitted. We all use lot's of third party tools that also communicate with their servers and one cannot really tell what info they transmit. So I like tools like O&O Shutup10 because the facilitate how I can disable all the feedback options that exist in Windows. I definitely know that I cannot completely stop communication between Windows and MS servers or between third party tools and their servers. But at least I've got some control. If one cannot live with that I'm afraid the only solution is to learn how to code and start using Linux because only with coding knowledge and open source software one is actually able to interpret and stop communication between a certain software and it's developer/ distributor.

    By the way Shutup10 does not install anything, actually it's a portable app that does not even needs installation itself. And if one is really scared of what it might communicate it is possible to completely block it's access to the internet using a software firewall.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    21 Aug 2015 #10
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 18,085
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by altae View Post
    For me it's not a general problem that Windows communicates with MS servers. It's just a question of how much and which info is actually transmitted. We all use lot's of third party tools that also communicate with their servers and one cannot really tell what info they transmit. So I like tools like O&O Shutup10 because the facilitate how I can disable all the feedback options that exist in Windows. I definitely know that I cannot completely stop communication between Windows and MS servers or between third party tools and their servers. But at least I've got some control. If one cannot live with that I'm afraid the only solution is to learn how to code and start using Linux because only with coding knowledge and open source software one is actually able to interpret and stop communication between a certain software and it's developer/ distributor.

    By the way Shutup10 does not install anything, actually it's a portable app that does not even needs installation itself. And if one is really scared of what it might communicate it is possible to completely block it's access to the internet using a software firewall.
    I'm just curious, Is it just a "One stop" tool(like Ccleaner is to cleaning) to turn the things off that you can do in Win10(admittedly, if you can find them) or does it mess with the registry and firewall(which are almost holy to me)?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Win 10 & Office Build info, tracking, downloads, win updates - Info
Just for reference purposes For those who are interested in viewing the status or tracking of Windows 10 & Office with respect to builds, packages, official updates, ESD's, etc., you can visit the following page via the link below. I did...
Installation and Upgrade
Hydranix's Telemetry Disabler (Script to stop Windows tracking you)
I wrote a quick batch script to disable some of the Windows 10 telemetry. It's interactive, safe*, and easy to use. Download Link: Script I'm working on a more comprehensive application to control the telemetry in windows 10. A true C++...
AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Solved Do I need "Distributed Link Tracking Client"?
Read up on it, cant quite make it out if it's to my disadvantage (and how) in every day Computer life if I have it disabled. I had to disable it because it was the reason I could not safely eject external drives (in this case SATA drives...
General Support
A quick look at Cortana's package tracking ability in Windows 10
Read more: A quick look at Cortana's package tracking ability in Windows 10 | Windows Central
Windows 10 News
Insider Windows 10 build 10036: update to Insider Hub for stat tracking
Read more: Windows 10 build 10036 includes update to Insider Hub for stat tracking
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:46.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums