Windows 10: Default open with folder

  1.    16 Aug 2015 #1

    Default open with folder


    Hello,

    I have screwed up my default open folder with.. it all started by trying to set the default console to powershell, I have been messing around with registry settings but in the end I failed to set it up.. then I went and double clicked a folder to open it and discovered that the default double click option was "open with visual code", that is when I started to dig around in registry again.. and removed visual code from being the default but somehow ended up screwing even more my default open, I can now only open my folders by right clicking on them and open in a new window..

    if I double click them I get the following error message "windows cannot access the specified device path or file you may not have appropriate permissions"

    I have set all the permissions to full control on everything..

    Would like to get a solution for my problem : /

    Thank you.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    16 Aug 2015 #2

    Playing around with registry values is an amazingly easy way to screw up your system. The easiest will be that you just go back to the last system restore point from before you broke it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    16 Aug 2015 #3

    Joergi said: View Post
    Playing around with registry values is an amazingly easy way to screw up your system. The easiest will be that you just go back to the last system restore point from before you broke it.
    I have system restore turned off. This is the first time I screw up and have to call for outside help as I haven't found any online solution.. Not looking for the easiest way..
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    16 Aug 2015 #4

    alentor said: View Post
    I have system restore turned off.
    Sure, what else? *shakes head*

    A system refresh might also help...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    16 Aug 2015 #5

    Apart from that you find the default Folder options in the Windows registry in

    Code:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\open\command
    The "default" value is

    Code:
    %SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe
    Additionally there is an entry called "DelegateExecute" of type REG_SZ with the value

    Code:
    {11dbb47c-a525-400b-9e80-a54615a090c0}
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    16 Aug 2015 #6

    Joergi said: View Post
    Apart from that you find the default Folder options in the Windows registry in

    Code:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\open\command
    The "default" value is

    Code:
    %SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe
    Additionally there is an entry called "DelegateExecute" of type REG_SZ with the value

    Code:
    {11dbb47c-a525-400b-9e80-a54615a090c0}

    It would be nice if you have said in your first post. I have reinstalled already.. Next time when you try to help someone don't suggest the obvious..
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    16 Aug 2015 #7

    Several things:

    • You wrote that you did, sorry, things you obviously do not understand. So I preferred using my first post to teach you not to play with things you obviously do not understand.
    • Second: After you told me that you did not want the easiest solution, I tought that you actually meant that you did not want the easiest solution. How come that you -as I proposed from the start- now picked it anyway?
    • Finally, I only used Google to find how folders are opened, it is nothing else I did - I did not know the information I gave you in my last post when I wrote the other posts. When I can use Google, why is it that you cannot?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    16 Aug 2015 #8

    Joergi; Just forget the nice guy! He will certainly get a lot of help here when he screws up again. At least with this nick.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    17 Aug 2015 #9

    Joergi said: View Post
    Several things:

    • You wrote that you did, sorry, things you obviously do not understand. So I preferred using my first post to teach you not to play with things you obviously do not understand.
    • Second: After you told me that you did not want the easiest solution, I tought that you actually meant that you did not want the easiest solution. How come that you -as I proposed from the start- now picked it anyway?
    • Finally, I only used Google to find how folders are opened, it is nothing else I did - I did not know the information I gave you in my last post when I wrote the other posts. When I can use Google, why is it that you cannot?
    How is it the easiest solution? I had to reinstall my software and reconfigure everything. I didn't come here to be taught a lesson but to get a solution, if you don't have a solution in your hand expect of the obvious (reinstall/restore point). then don't reply, think twice rather three times before you reply to a post.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    17 Aug 2015 #10

    Ron99 said: View Post
    Joergi; Just forget the nice guy! He will certainly get a lot of help here when he screws up again. At least with this nick.
    Yes, you are right.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
I changed the location the of my Pictures folder from the default C:\users\myname\Pictures to D:\onedrive\pictures, Worked great until I decided to use new Google Photo on Google Drive. Using File Explorer, I moved all photos from D:\one...
Solved Default Folder View? in General Support
Is there a way to globally change the Default Folder View? I've used Folder Options | View | Apply to Folders a few times, but it only seems to stick on folders I've opened.
Anyone know how to change the default Downloads folder in Edge in build 10159? I've looked through all the settings, including the Advanced ones, and there's nowhere to change this.
I'd been using this method on Windows 7: Windows Explorer Taskbar Icon - Change Open To Target And I take it that this is how it's done in 8: File Explorer Taskbar Icon - Change Open To Target Will the latter tutorial also work here in 10?
Solved Open Volume Mixer By Default in General Support
Windows 10 opens to a single slider, perfect for touch screens, but I want the mixer back. As it is right now I have to right click to open it. How can I make it default.

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:27.
Find Us