remove default app

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 151
    Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit
       #1

    remove default app


    How do I set there to be no default web browser program? I like to choose every time, but today I accidentally clicked Firefox when the "make this the default app" box was ticked.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 12,417
    Win10 Version 21H2 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro
       #2

    I untick that box in Firefox for the same reason, want to make my own choice of which to open .htm/.html files. Don't see a None listed in Settings, Apps, Default apps list.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 151
    Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Berton said:
    I untick that box in Firefox for the same reason, want to make my own choice of which to open .htm/.html files.
    Great, I am not alone

    Berton said:
    Don't see a None listed in Settings, Apps, Default apps list.
    Me neither, that's why I asked on good old here. There should be some way.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 5,078
    21H1 64 Bit Home
       #4

    FYI:

    This works but you might need to create icons.
    From my machine:

    remove default app-settings.jpg

    You get this screen when opening a link:


    remove default app-choose-browser.jpg
    Set up to five browser choices:


    remove default app-options.jpg
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 5,078
    21H1 64 Bit Home
       #5

    The easiest way is don't click the link or shortcut. Just copy it into the address bar of whatever browser you decide to launch.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 151
    Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Callender said:
    FYI:

    This works but you might need to create icons.
    From my machine:

    remove default app-settings.jpg

    You get this screen when opening a link:


    remove default app-choose-browser.jpg
    Set up to five browser choices:


    remove default app-options.jpg
    I don't want that 3rd party thing.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 17,831
    Windows 10
       #7

    Reset the defaults then it will always ask
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 151
    Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit
    Thread Starter
       #8

    I am not resetting defaults because that resets it for everything. Which is not acceptable.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 17,831
    Windows 10
       #9

    Sweetsweetcorn said:
    I am not resetting defaults because that resets it for everything. Which is not acceptable.
    You can always reset the others back but leave browser alone.

    Or...,

    You can change ProgId string at: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations\UrlAssociations\http\UserCh oice and Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations\UrlAssociations\https\UserC hoice

    to some gibberish...

    remove default app-000767.png
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 5,078
    21H1 64 Bit Home
       #10
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:46.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums