Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Joined : Jul 2015
    Northern Nevada
    Posts : 37
    Windows 10 Home x64
       12 Aug 2015 #1

    Save Dialog Resize Problem


    So, recently while using Photoshop CS6 I ran into a problem with the save dialog window. When it opens, it is almost maximized and cannot be resized. I have tried everything. Double clicking the title bar, right click upper left corner (restore is greyed out), dragging from all sides, dragging from all corners, changing screen resolution. Nothing works.

    I have attached some pics to give you an idea of it. I recently switched to Creative Cloud apps and the 'save for web' dialog produces the same behavior in Photoshop CC though all other save dialog's are normal.

    I have tried uninstalling Photoshop, all Adobe software and the reinstalling them. Even to the point of removing every mention of Adobe I could find in the registry and on the HDD in folders.

    Any assistance or insight anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

    Photoshop CS6 & CC app window;
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CS 01.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	189.7 KB 
ID:	30842

    Photoshop CC 'Save as' dialog
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CS 02.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	313.7 KB 
ID:	30843

    Photoshop CC 'Export as' dialog (replacement for 'save for web' from CS-CS6)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CS 03.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	334.9 KB 
ID:	30844

    Photoshop CC & CS6 'save for web' dialog (the one that cant be resized)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CS 04.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	30845

    It should be noted that ANY 'save', 'save as' or 'save for web' dialog under CS6 looks like the last picture. They're ALL way oversized and un-resizable. All dialogs under CC except for the ;save for web' legacy option, work perfectly normally.
    Last edited by Corelogik; 12 Aug 2015 at 16:22.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10
       21 Aug 2015 #2

    Corelogik said: View Post
    So, recently while using Photoshop CS6 I ran into a problem with the save dialog window. When it opens, it is almost maximized and cannot be resized. I have tried everything. Double clicking the title bar, right click upper left corner (restore is greyed out), dragging from all sides, dragging from all corners, changing screen resolution. Nothing works.

    I have attached some pics to give you an idea of it. I recently switched to Creative Cloud apps and the 'save for web' dialog produces the same behavior in Photoshop CC though all other save dialog's are normal.

    I have tried uninstalling Photoshop, all Adobe software and the reinstalling them. Even to the point of removing every mention of Adobe I could find in the registry and on the HDD in folders.

    Any assistance or insight anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.


    It should be noted that ANY 'save', 'save as' or 'save for web' dialog under CS6 looks like the last picture. They're ALL way oversized and un-resizable. All dialogs under CC except for the ;save for web' legacy option, work perfectly normally.
    Hi,

    first let me confirm that this problem exists. In case of InDesign CS6, Photoshop CS6 and Illustrator CS6 under Windows 10 the file dialogs can only be made larger but not smaller. Acrobat X uses another type of dialog and therefore does not show this problem. I have not found a remedy for this bug but at least I found a way to reset the size of the file dialog in case it grew to large. For this you have to tinker with the registry. Start regedit and then navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/ComDlg32/CIDSizeMRU
    Here the size of the file explorer dialog window for every program which makes use of the dialog also used by Adobe are stored. Delete every entry except (Standard). This resets the size of the dialog window to its default.

    Hope this helps!

    HJ Schlicht
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Jul 2015
    Northern Nevada
    Posts : 37
    Windows 10 Home x64
       22 Aug 2015 #3

    Ok, here's what I did. Using the registry key from hjschlicht, (HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/ComDlg32/CIDSizeMRU), Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I found a list of registry keys labeled as follows;
    Default
    0 - 48
    MRUListEx

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Save Dialog Registry Key List.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	160.8 KB 
ID:	33164

    Make a back up of this key before modifying anything.

    I deleted all entries except; Default, 0 and MRUListEx.

    This reset all of my dialog boxes. I then opened Photoshop CC (since I removed CS6 previously to try to solve the problem) and made a small image and then clicked on file>export>save for web.

    The dialog box that COULD NOT be re-sized before was now reset to a more normal, if a bit small, sizing. I re-sized the window to my preferred size, 8 x 4 medium icons, and saved the test image.

    I then returned to the registry editor and looked at the list. I now had a new entry labeled '42'. (can ya feel the irony there?)

    Right clicking on entry 42 and modifying it shows the following;

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photoshop 'Save For Web' Registry Key.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	33165

    I exported this key and then went back into Photoshop and intentionally re-sized the save for web dialog window to near full screen. This did not create a new key but modified the '42' key from before. I then exited Photoshop and double clicked on my saved '42' regedit key to import the data.

    Launching Photoshop yet again, my 'save for web' dialog was back to normal.

    I do not know if the 'save for web' dialog is the same on every windows 10 system or if CS6 will create additional entries, but it would appear that if you make a backup of this key while the window is at or smaller than the size you like, you can easily restore it if it becomes over enlarged again by double clicking and re-importing the back up key, without having to go through regedit again and drill down for it.

    I repeated this process 3-4 times to make sure it always used the same key instead of creating a new one. This key is ONLY for the 'save for web' dialog box. Other 'save' or 'save as' menu items/methods create their own keys.

    On the chance that other windows 10 installs use the same key label, I have attached mine here for download if desired.

    Photoshop 'Save for web' Dialog Fix.zip
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Oct 2015
    Posts : 1
    Microsoft 10
       03 Oct 2015 #4

    Corelogik said: View Post
    Ok, here's what I did. Using the registry key from hjschlicht, (HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/ComDlg32/CIDSizeMRU), Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I found a list of registry keys labeled as follows;
    Default
    0 - 48
    MRUListEx

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Save Dialog Registry Key List.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	160.8 KB 
ID:	33164

    Make a back up of this key before modifying anything.

    I deleted all entries except; Default, 0 and MRUListEx.

    This reset all of my dialog boxes. I then opened Photoshop CC (since I removed CS6 previously to try to solve the problem) and made a small image and then clicked on file>export>save for web.

    The dialog box that COULD NOT be re-sized before was now reset to a more normal, if a bit small, sizing. I re-sized the window to my preferred size, 8 x 4 medium icons, and saved the test image.

    I then returned to the registry editor and looked at the list. I now had a new entry labeled '42'. (can ya feel the irony there?)

    Right clicking on entry 42 and modifying it shows the following;

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photoshop 'Save For Web' Registry Key.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	33165

    I exported this key and then went back into Photoshop and intentionally re-sized the save for web dialog window to near full screen. This did not create a new key but modified the '42' key from before. I then exited Photoshop and double clicked on my saved '42' regedit key to import the data.

    Launching Photoshop yet again, my 'save for web' dialog was back to normal.

    I do not know if the 'save for web' dialog is the same on every windows 10 system or if CS6 will create additional entries, but it would appear that if you make a backup of this key while the window is at or smaller than the size you like, you can easily restore it if it becomes over enlarged again by double clicking and re-importing the back up key, without having to go through regedit again and drill down for it.

    I repeated this process 3-4 times to make sure it always used the same key instead of creating a new one. This key is ONLY for the 'save for web' dialog box. Other 'save' or 'save as' menu items/methods create their own keys.

    On the chance that other windows 10 installs use the same key label, I have attached mine here for download if desired.

    Photoshop 'Save for web' Dialog Fix.zip
    THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU TO BOTH OF YOU!!! I wound up finding this thread after many, many google searches. I too found myself being driven insane by this bug. So much so that it inspired me to create an account on here to add my input/solution in the hopes of it helping anyone else who finds themselves in the same situation.

    I shoot a lot of photos with my DSLR to use in time lapses which I then use the "Load files into stacks" script to load those I wish to animate together. Often I end up with hundreds or even thousands of photos depending on the time lapse I was doing. Because of this, I rely heavily on the ability to constantly resize the dialog box. For example: Say I have a time lapse of 1000 images. I only want to animate every 15th photo for now. I'd then play around with the icon and dialogue box size so there be 15 photos in a row. Now I'd use the ClickLock box to just drag all the way down the browser and easily select every 15th photo in the folder to stack. Yes, I could individually click every X photo but it's still a pain when dealing with a large batch of photos. Yes, I could also just do this using window explorer and dragging the selection over to a new folder. But still though, this is 2015 and I refuse to tolerate any mild inconvenience in my software!!!

    *Ahem* Sorry, got a little impassioned there. Anyways, while both of your solutions would be fine for those who have a preferred size, it would still be a pain for those who rely on the ability to constantly resize the dialog box like myself. Going off what you two suggested and fueled by spite I figured out a sort of workaround for those in my position:


    1. Open up regedit
    2. As hjschlicht suggested, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/ComDlg32/CIDSizeMRU
    3. At this point you DO NOT need to delete all the keys; since Photoshop is the one affected by the bug then that's the one we only really need to mess with. The way you can tell which one belongs to Photoshop is by looking at the data tab and it will start with the following value 50 00 68 00 6F 00 74 00 6F 00 73 00 68 00 6F 00 70 (which spells P h o t o s h o p in hexadecimal values)
    4. Delete the key
    5. As Corelogik suggested, open up a load file dialog box(don't resize just yet!) and you will notice that a new key has been created. At this point you can carefully resize the window if you have a preferred specific size like Corelogik. However, if you're like me and need the ability to constantly resize the dialog window, you can just leave it at its default size.
    6. And now for the workaround: Click on the name of the registry that holds the Photoshop key so that it is highlighted(mine was '12')
    7. Click on Edit > Permissions > Advanced
    8. Click on your account, mine was "'My account name'(Myemail@gmail.com)", and then click edit.
    9. Under 'Basic permissions:' Uncheck 'Full Control' but leave 'Read' checked.
    10. OK > OK > OK > exit out of regedit


    Done! Now your dialog size is "locked" since your account is able to "read" the registry containing the dialog window size settings but won't save the larger window size once you exit out since it doesn't have permission to edit the registry. You still won't be able to make the dialog window any smaller if you increase its size but simply exiting out and reopening it will now restore it to the size you originally had it set when you "locked" it.

    Hope this helps out anybody else who ends up on this page using their google-fu!! Here's my latest time lapse edit of Sunday's supermoon as a thank you for hjschlicht & Corelogik's tremendous help in (sorta)solving this issue:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STACKED.gif 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	40754
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Oct 2015
    Bayside
    Posts : 1
    Windows 10
       16 Oct 2015 #5

    Mine does not say "42"


    Mine does not say "42" and I'm afraid I'm going to mess up my computer because my numbers don't match exactly everyone else's here in this post. Please help, my window is huge and it's blocking my whole screen. Thanks!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	numbers-dont-match.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	43031


    Right clicking on entry 42 and modifying it shows the following;

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photoshop 'Save For Web' Registry Key.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	33165

    I exported this key and then went back into Photoshop and intentionally re-sized the save for web dialog window to near full screen. This did not create a new key but modified the '42' key from before. I then exited Photoshop and double clicked on my saved '42' regedit key to import the data.

    Should I use this download even if the numbers don't match? Thanks.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Jul 2015
    Northern Nevada
    Posts : 37
    Windows 10 Home x64
       16 Oct 2015 #6

    GRAB said: View Post
    Mine does not say "42" and I'm afraid I'm going to mess up my computer because my numbers don't match exactly everyone else's here in this post. Please help, my window is huge and it's blocking my whole screen. Thanks!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	numbers-dont-match.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	43031


    Right clicking on entry 42 and modifying it shows the following;

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photoshop 'Save For Web' Registry Key.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	33165

    I exported this key and then went back into Photoshop and intentionally re-sized the save for web dialog window to near full screen. This did not create a new key but modified the '42' key from before. I then exited Photoshop and double clicked on my saved '42' regedit key to import the data.

    Should I use this download even if the numbers don't match? Thanks.

    You need to find out which entry Photoshop is using on your machine, can be found by editing it, and then work with that. Apparently Photoshop creates a different numbered key on different systems.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Oct 2015
    Posts : 1
    Windows 10
       28 Oct 2015 #7

    Resize window issue with PDF Conveerter Professioanal 8.1


    Same problem as others have listed but with PDF Converter Professional 8.1.

    I went to each key in the list to try to find the associated program name. Right click on the key then click modify. In the column on the right, often the associated application is named. I deleted the one with Gaaihopdf. The save as window went back to the default size.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Dec 2015
    Posts : 2
    windows 10
       24 Dec 2015 #8

    No new keys appear in registry editor.


    hi, sorry to bring up something from 2 months ago but i have the same issue, i tried following all the steps but when i'm deleting the key then going back to photoshop to open up a new dialog box, no new keys show up in my registry editor. does anyone know why? thank you in advance.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Jul 2015
    Northern Nevada
    Posts : 37
    Windows 10 Home x64
       25 Dec 2015 #9

    halsey said: View Post
    hi, sorry to bring up something from 2 months ago but i have the same issue, i tried following all the steps but when i'm deleting the key then going back to photoshop to open up a new dialog box, no new keys show up in my registry editor. does anyone know why? thank you in advance.
    Just guessing here, but you may need to open a save dialog and re-size it for a key to be re-created. Interestingly, I recently built a new system, installed Windows 10 fresh on a bare drive, installed CS 6 and this system doesn't have the save dialog bug. I can re-size the window up and down at will and it does not get stuck.

    So this bug MAY be related to installing Windows 10 over a previous version of Windows OR, a patch or update somewhere between Windows 10's release and the current disc that's shipping from retailers, fixed whatever the issue is/was.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10
       25 Dec 2015 #10

    Corelogik said: View Post
    Just guessing here, but you may need to open a save dialog and re-size it for a key to be re-created. Interestingly, I recently built a new system, installed Windows 10 fresh on a bare drive, installed CS 6 and this system doesn't have the save dialog bug. I can re-size the window up and down at will and it does not get stuck.

    So this bug MAY be related to installing Windows 10 over a previous version of Windows OR, a patch or update somewhere between Windows 10's release and the current disc that's shipping from retailers, fixed whatever the issue is/was.
    Hi,

    the reason why you did not experience this bug again was that this issue was fixed with the 1511 Win 10 update.

    Regards,

    HJ Schlicht
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Copy dialog window MIA
Where did this darn good feature go in 10074?
General Support
Save / Save As / Open Dialog Crashing
I tried to do a search but it didn't come up with much. Have you guys seen an issue where the Save/SaveAs/Open dialogs don't open and instead the app crashes? I've seen it in Notepad, Paint and Word. If I kill all explorer.exe processes, and then...
Software and Apps
Recent places dissappears in Quick Access in open/save dialog
I have pinned "Recent Places" folder (%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent) and this folder shows in explorer windows in Quick Access area. This is OK. But why this folder disappears from Quick Access aren in open / save dialogs...
General Support
Save your windows 10 Preview Drivers and Save the Hassle Later
As many of you are aware windows 10 Preview will have to be removed (on some systems) and the original OS re-installed to get the Upgrade License Activation.. Since you already have the preview of 10 installed - most likely you also have the...
Installation and Setup
Can't use Run dialog from Start Menu
If I right click on the Start Menu and select Run, I get this error. 7419 I checked Group Policy and as far as I can tell, none of the settings that affect Run are configured. Any idea what I can look at/for?
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums