Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Joined : Aug 2015
    Right here.
    Posts : 108
    Windows 10
       08 Aug 2015 #1

    How to Disable Cortana after its been disabled ??


    So after turning off Cortana in settings, I see its still running in the Task Manager, right click to end task and it starts right back up. So how do you disable it completely?

    found this...


    After playing around with it a bit, and I think I found a method.

    Open Task Manager and have it show More details. Right click on Cortana and select Open file location.

    Now find the Cortana folder, right click it, and select Rename. I would recommend just adding ".bak" to the end of the folder name so you can find it easily if you want to restore it back to it's original status.

    If you attempt to rename, it will tell you that the folder is in use.

    This is when you want to go back to Task Manager, right click on Cortana, and select End task.

    Right after the task ends, switch back to the Folder In Use window and click Try Again. The folder should be renamed and the Cortana task will not start again.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 441
    Windows 10
       08 Aug 2015 #2

    DTG1 said: View Post
    So after turning off Cortana in settings, I see its still running in the Task Manager, right click to end task and it starts right back up. So how do you disable it completely?

    found this...

    After playing around with it a bit, and I think I found a method.

    Open Task Manager and have it show More details. Right click on Cortana and select Open file location.

    Now find the Cortana folder, right click it, and select Rename. I would recommend just adding ".bak" to the end of the folder name so you can find it easily if you want to restore it back to it's original status.

    If you attempt to rename, it will tell you that the folder is in use.

    This is when you want to go back to Task Manager, right click on Cortana, and select End task.

    Right after the task ends, switch back to the Folder In Use window and click Try Again. The folder should be renamed and the Cortana task will not start again.
    Solved This is How to permanently Disable Cortana - Windows 10 Forums
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 615
    Windows 10 Enterprise x64 (build 10586)
       08 Aug 2015 #3

    Unfortunately, this disables the Search function, too.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 441
    Windows 10
       08 Aug 2015 #4

    You said: View Post
    Unfortunately, this disables the Search function, too.
    Yes it does mate that's the only downside, I can live without the search function.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Aug 2015
    Right here.
    Posts : 108
    Windows 10
       08 Aug 2015 #5

    You said: View Post
    Unfortunately, this disables the Search function, too.
    The advantage is for desktop users, if MS doesnt want close a program we want closed, we find another way. IMHO Cortana is a privacy issue that is sending your info back to MS.

    Oh, and F-bing.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 441
    Windows 10
       08 Aug 2015 #6

    DTG1 said: View Post
    The advantage is for desktop users, if MS doesnt want close a program we want closed, we find another way. IMHO Cortana is a privacy issue that is sending your info back to MS.

    Oh, and F-bing.
    Yep I don't want Cortana or need Cortana so I'm thinking about deleting the whole folder, it will give me 64mb's of extra space.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Aug 2015
    Right here.
    Posts : 108
    Windows 10
       09 Aug 2015 #7

    Bazz said: View Post
    Yep I don't want Cortana or need Cortana so I'm thinking about deleting the whole folder, it will give me 64mb's of extra space.
    I wonder if MS will force you install it again.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 21
    Windows 10
       09 Aug 2015 #8

    Add AllowCortana with the value of 0 in Windows Search under Policies/Microsoft/Windows in regedit . I no longer have that 25-30MB Cortana process
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Aug 2015
    Right here.
    Posts : 108
    Windows 10
       11 Aug 2015 #9

    teknobug said: View Post
    add allowcortana with the value of 0 in windows search under policies/microsoft/windows in regedit . I no longer have that 25-30mb cortana process
    hklm? Hkcu? I dont see a Windows Search there.

    in [ HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search ] there is a key for "CortanaMUID". I dont know what this value is, yet.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Oct 2014
    Trnava
    Posts : 1,738
    Windows Home x64 (Home per choice)
       11 Aug 2015 #10

    rem 0 - Disable Cortana in Taskbar search
    reg add "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search" /v "CortanaEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

    REM 0 - Disable Cortana, Bing Search and Searchbar
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v "AllowCortana" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved How do i Disable Cortana process?
It's interesting to see that after i "disabled" it from the options, the process Cortana is still running and is tied to searchui.exe . And after deleting Cortanaware, the windows search bar stopped responding for good lol! Is there any other way...
Software and Apps
Solved Disabled Windows Search service... Cortana still running?
So I've gotten fed up enough with the terrible windows search system. I went into services.msc and disabled the windows search service; then restarted my computer. However, "Cortana" is still listed in my task manager taking up 50mb of memory....
General Support
How to disable Cortana completely?
How to disable Cortana completely? I have turn it off but its still in the task bar running. After end task, it will repop after few sec.
Software and Apps
Is there a way to completely disable Cortana?
So I just installed Windows 10, everything seems to be running great at the moment except for 1 thing, Cortana is still running in the background (taking up around ~30MBs of RAM), even after following Brink's tutorial (link). Is there a way to...
Software and Apps
Solved Cortana runs in background after being disabled
I have already turned off Cortana and her ability to 'get to know me' in the settings. I go to task manager and Cortana still shows up. while using 3% or memory(a large chunk compared to what is being used when nothing is open), i end her process....
Software and Apps
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums