Shutting Off Cortana

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 75
    Win 10 Home Edition
       #1

    Shutting Off Cortana


    Is there a way to stop Cortana running in the background.

    I see it in the "Task Manager', but you cannot 'End Task' it as it comes right back.
      My Computer

  2. CmmTch's Avatar
    Posts : 459
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #2

    emeth said:
    Is there a way to stop Cortana running in the background.

    I see it in the "Task Manager', but you cannot 'End Task' it as it comes right back.
    Click on the search icon (magnifying glass) next to start, then the settings icon on the left side of the pop up menu. First choice is turn Cortana on or off. See snip below, it's also in the tutorial I've linked below too.

    Check this tutorial Cortana - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

    Attachment 29049
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 75
    Win 10 Home Edition
    Thread Starter
       #3

    CmmTch said:
    Click on the search icon (magnifying glass) next to start, then the settings icon on the left side of the pop up menu. First choice is turn Cortana on or off. See snip below, it's also in the tutorial I've linked below too.

    Check this tutorial Cortana - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

    Attachment 29049
    Thank you Steve; I had already done that, however, Cortana is still listed in the 'Task Manager'
      My Computer

  4. CmmTch's Avatar
    Posts : 459
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #4

    Did you also click the button to "stop getting to know about me" Settings>Privacy>Speech, inking, and typing?

    In the tutorial it's step 4. "To Turn Off Cortana and Stop getting to know me" Maybe that will stop the task.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 75
    Win 10 Home Edition
    Thread Starter
       #5

    CmmTch said:
    Did you also click the button to "stop getting to know about me" Settings>Privacy>Speech, inking, and typing?

    In the tutorial it's step 4. "To Turn Off Cortana and Stop getting to know me" Maybe that will stop the task.
    Yes.
      My Computer

  6. CmmTch's Avatar
    Posts : 459
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #6

    I had to boot back into Win7 so I can't look at task manager in W10 at the moment but can't you stop the task?

    I didn't pay any attention to that, I've never had Cortana on so I can't be sure what's causing it or exactly what you might need to do other than stop the task.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 75
    Win 10 Home Edition
    Thread Starter
       #7

    CmmTch said:
    I had to boot back into Win7 so I can't look at task manager in W10 at the moment but can't you stop the task?

    I didn't pay any attention to that, I've never had Cortana on so I can't be sure what's causing it or exactly what you might need to do other than stop the task.
    Yes, after the 'Stop Cartana' procedure, she still shows up in the 'Task Manager', and even if you, 'End Task' her, she pops right back in.
      My Computer

  8. CmmTch's Avatar
    Posts : 459
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #8

    I booted back into W10 to check and she's in task mgr for me too, see below. I guess that's just the way it is

    There might be a reg hack to remove her, but if it were me (and it is in a sense, I have her in task mgr too) I'm not worrying about it.

    Attachment 29089
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 75
    Win 10 Home Edition
    Thread Starter
       #9

    CmmTch said:
    I booted back into W10 to check and she's in task mgr for me too, see below. I guess that's just the way it is

    There might be a reg hack to remove her, but if it were me (and it is in a sense, I have her in task mgr too) I'm not worrying about it.

    Attachment 29089
    Thanks for trying.
      My Computer

  10. labeeman's Avatar
    Posts : 19,248
    Mint 20.1
       #10

    emeth said:
    Thanks for trying.
    Check Post #10
    CPU fan running at full speed in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:18.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums