How do U keep Win 10 from reinstalling apps I removed? (& Privacy)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 29
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
       #1

    How do U keep Win 10 from reinstalling apps I removed? (& Privacy)


    How do you keep Win10 from reinstalling apps I removed? Furthermore.. how to delete 10's metro apps that it wont let me uninstall? ( I wont ever use any metro or new UI apps so I want them All removed from my system.)

    I KNOW I have uninstalled the Get Office 365 app, sports app and others last night before bed. This morning These apps are back and I get popups in my taskbar advertising Office 365.

    - Windows 10 is turning out to be a Privacy Hell nightmare. Microsoft I assume working with the NSA again has devised ways to capture our private data. I had to go through all these websites to stop Microsoft downloading my private data - as most of the offenders are turned on by Default !

    How To Stop Windows 10's Spying Ads | Rock, Paper, Shotgun Windows 10 Wifi Sharing | Rock, Paper, Shotgun
    Microsofts new small print – how your personal data is (ab)used
    http://www.metzdowd.com/pipermail/cr...ly/026136.html
    Windows 10 is possibly the worst spyware ever made
    Windows 10 installation: Customize settings vs. express settings | Network World

    And I'm not done yet finding all Microsofts ways they steal your bandwidth and or data. I have been a Microsoft user for over 20 years starting with Dos. 6.22 and Windows 3.1. I have Never seen so many un-user friendly policies. Windows 10 may force me to go back to Windows 8 core - or Linux even.
      My Computer


  2. Nus
    Posts : 242
    Win 10 Pro 64bit
       #2

    To uninstall all the store apps, including the ones that don't have an uninstall option, do the following:

    Open Powershell and type: Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers

    This returns a list of all the installed apps, you use this to find the PackageFullName of the app you want to uninstall.

    To uninstall an app type: Remove-AppxPackage PackageFullName

    The only apps I haven't been able to remove are 'Contact Support', 'Cortana' and 'Windows Feedback'.


    You can disable Cortana by renaming its folder. You have to have the 'Try again' dialogue cued up to hit as soon as you stop the Cortana process.


    You can remove OneDrive from the command prompt:

    %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\OneDriveSetup.exe /uninstall



    You can stop data being sent to Microsoft by disabling two services and making a registry entry. You can find the details of that easily with Google or on here.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 29
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Thanks for the info. I'll use your method to remove the apps ...

    But why did Windows 10 take it on itself to reinstall the apps I already uninstalled without my permission?

    What is the mechanism inside Windows 10 that is responsible for this behavior?
      My Computer


  4. Nus
    Posts : 242
    Win 10 Pro 64bit
       #4

    Lothar said:
    Thanks for the info. I'll use your method to remove the apps ...

    But why did Windows 10 take it on itself to reinstall the apps I already uninstalled without my permission?

    What is the mechanism inside Windows 10 that is responsible for this behavior?
    I seem to recall some store apps, that I'd 'uninstalled' via Start, reappearing after one of the early updates.

    None of the apps have come back, after subsequent updates, since using the method I outlined above.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 20
    7x64
       #5

    Nus said:
    To uninstall an app type: Remove-AppxPackage PackageFullName
    I am using Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers -Name *Office.OneNote* | Remove-AppxPackage so that the command does not depend on PackageFullName because the version number is not always the same.

    Unfortunately apps don't stay removed, I just removed the Office downloader for the 3rd time and had to remove other apps (People for example) multiple times as well.

    Haven't figured out why some keep returning while others stay away.
      My Computer


  6. Nus
    Posts : 242
    Win 10 Pro 64bit
       #6

    bartgrefte said:
    I am using Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers -Name *Office.OneNote* | Remove-AppxPackage so that the command does not depend on PackageFullName because the version number is not always the same.

    Unfortunately apps don't stay removed, I just removed the Office downloader for the 3rd time and had to remove other apps (People for example) multiple times as well.

    Haven't figured out why some keep returning while others stay away.
    I assume you're running the command as administrator in an elevated PowerShell?

    All I can say is that using my method, of passing the PackageFullName string, the apps have not reinstalled themselves since I nuked them a week ago.

    Maybe try that instead of piping the object and see what happens.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 20
    7x64
       #7

    Nus said:
    I assume you're running the command as administrator in an elevated PowerShell?

    All I can say is that using my method, of passing the PackageFullName string, the apps have not reinstalled themselves since I nuked them a week ago.

    Maybe try that instead of piping the object and see what happens.
    Of course , otherwise I get a lot of permission-related errors.

    After some Googling, I came across this command:
    Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | Select DisplayName, PackageName

    That command listed all apps I deleted using the command from my previous post, while Get-AppxPackage | Select Name,PackageFullname didn't list them. So I started Googling, then I ran into these two commands:
    Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | where-object {$_.name –like “*3DBuilder*”} | Remove-AppxPackage

    Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*3DBuilder*”} | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -online


    The 1st one is the same as the one I was using to delete apps, just written differently. The 2nd one is new to me, but after using that one, Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | Select DisplayName, PackageName shows a very short list. Only the Store and Calculator.

    So I am guessing actually deleting apps requires that second command, now lets hope they stay away now.
      My Computer


  8. Nus
    Posts : 242
    Win 10 Pro 64bit
       #8

    Using Remove-AppxPackage PackageFullName uninstalls the app from the user account but leaves the app on disk, ready to be installed for other users...

    If you go to C:\Program Files\WindowsApps you will see each app has a 'companion' folder with 'neutral' in the name.

    How do U keep Win 10 from reinstalling apps I removed? (& Privacy)-windowsapps.png

    If you use the command: remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -package NeutralFolderName -online it removes both folders from disk.

    Maybe you'll have more persistence doing this.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 20
    7x64
       #9

    Nus said:
    Using Remove-AppxPackage PackageFullName uninstalls the app from the user account but leaves the app on disk, ready to be installed for other users...
    Unfortunately, that does not explain why removed apps keep returning in my user account. Can't say anything about this behavior in other accounts, because there aren't any.

    Nus said:
    If you use the command: remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -package NeutralFolderName -online it removes both folders from disk.

    Maybe you'll have more persistence doing this.
    First let's see if the command I used before, combined with the one I found today Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*3DBuilder*”} | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -online has any effect.

    edit:
    As for C:\Program Files\WindowsApps, I cannot get access to this folder. Can't add my account, all buttons on the advanced security settings window are disabled.

    edit2: Got access now, I see the neutral folders, and some without neutral in the name. So not everything is deleted...
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 25
    windows 10
       #10

    Start PowerShell and execute:
    Code:
    DISM /Online /Get-ProvisionedAppxPackages | select-string Packagename
    DISM /Online /Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackageName:**PACKAGENAME**
    that completely uninstalls an app.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:40.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums