Will installed apps under the admin account be available to all?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. g41851's Avatar
    Posts : 116
    Windows 10 Pro
       #1

    Will installed apps under the admin account be available to all?


    Hello!

    I'm new to Windows after being a Mac user for the last 20 years. I have used Windows in work, currently I use Windows 7, but everything is locked down and we can only use certain programmes and can't make any changes at all - no internet either!

    So, I have installed all the apps that I am going to be using and everything is running great. I read that it's unwise to use the Admin account for everything, which is what I'm currently using. If I create a non-admin account will all the programmes I have installed on this admin account be available?

    Also, will all my personal display settings and so on be available on the other account?

    Many thanks!
      My Computer

  2. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 10,483
    Win10 Pro Versions 2004 and 2009/20H2, Win10 Pro IP_Dev, Win10 Home 1909
       #2

    There's actually 2 User types, one with Administrative Rights and one as a Standard user. The Standard user can't do a lot of things including installing programs or making settings changes but the one that has Administrative Rights can install programs that can allow all users to use them or only the current user. There is another account that is hidden by default and should not be used for day-to-day use, it has more power than an Administrative User account. It can be unhidden when the need arises but normally is not needed.
      My Computers

  3. g41851's Avatar
    Posts : 116
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Berton said:
    There's actually 2 User types, one with Administrative Rights and one as a Standard user. The Standard user can't do a lot of things including installing programs or making settings changes but the one that has Administrative Rights can install programs that can allow all users to use them or only the current user. There is another account that is hidden by default and should not be used for day-to-day use, it has more power than an Administrative User account. It can be unhidden when the need arises but normally is not needed.
    It says that I'm the Administrator of the computer. Do you think I should create another standard user account for day to day use?
      My Computer

  4. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 10,483
    Win10 Pro Versions 2004 and 2009/20H2, Win10 Pro IP_Dev, Win10 Home 1909
       #4

    It's not a bad idea especially if others are using the computer. I don't have the need to do it but some folks do.
      My Computers

  5. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 18,614
    10 Home x64 (20H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #5

    g41851 said:
    It says that I'm the Administrator of the computer...
    Welcome to TenForums g41851 ....and to Windows, come to that.

    To be strictly accurate, it says your account is an administrator. The special built-in account Berton referred to is disabled by default and is named Administrator. You can make as many administrator accounts as you like, but there is only one account called Administrator. That one you cannot delete as it a part of the Windows system.

    I'm new to Windows after being a Mac user for the last 20 years...
    Then you should be familiar with the root user account on a Mac, the Administrator is the same thing for Windows.

    I read that it's unwise to use the Admin account for everything...
    It's not as bad as it sounds, not in Window 10 anyway. It was risky in XP, less so in 7, but in 10 almost every process or app you run, even signed in as an administrator, is run with standard user privileges. If you try to do something that need admin privileges you will be told you need admin rights to do this. The only difference between using an admin account or a standard account is that you can just click OK to continue and use your own admin rights. A standard user has to give the password on an admin account to continue.
      My Computers

  6. g41851's Avatar
    Posts : 116
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Thanks @Bree and @Berton! I will leave things as they are.
      My Computer

  7. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 10,483
    Win10 Pro Versions 2004 and 2009/20H2, Win10 Pro IP_Dev, Win10 Home 1909
       #7

    You're welcome.
      My Computers

  8. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 18,614
    10 Home x64 (20H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #8



    As an aside, I've been supporting Windows users for 20+ years and have a passing acquaintance with Macs. Never used to feel comfortable on a Mac, but I can't help feeling how similar the environments feel these days. Convergent evolution?
      My Computers

  9. g41851's Avatar
    Posts : 116
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Bree said:


    As an aside, I've been supporting Windows users for 20+ years and have a passing acquaintance with Macs. Never used to feel comfortable on a Mac, but I can't help feeling how similar the environments feel these days. Convergent evolution?
    It probably is, yes. Windows is certainly a lot more customisable and than a Mac, but they are both great operating systems. I am really liking Windows 10 though, it's good to use, although it has been a bit of a learning curve.
      My Computer

  10. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 18,614
    10 Home x64 (20H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #10

    g41851 said:
    It probably is, yes. Windows is certainly a lot more customisable and than a Mac, but they are both great operating systems.
    My daughter and son-in-law are Mac users, so that's my main exposure to Macs these days....

    I am really liking Windows 10 though, it's good to use, although it has been a bit of a learning curve.

    Then you've come to the best place to learn. Ask away, and don't forget to browse the Tutorials.

    Windows 10 Tutorial Index | Tutorials
      My Computers


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums