After CU KB4462919 W 10 v1803: can you change default program?Y/N

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

  1. Posts : 384
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #21

    I integrated the update into the ISO so 17763.1 became 17763.55 and I used it to clean install.

    Therefore, I can't uninstall KB4462919. But although I have had the association issue crop up when double-clicking a file, I hadn't noticed it to be as much of an issue as I'd normally expect before I set all the associations I would usually want.

    I have always fixed them in the modern UI dialog that pops up asking which app/program you would like to use and they've stayed fixed.

    I don't use the Settings or the Control Panel to set defaults until they occur naturally. It's possible I haven't fixed them all yet but it's not something I would rush to do, I just pick them up as they are found.
      My Computers


  2. VBF
    Posts : 593
    Win 10 Pro
       #22

    winactive said:
    I integrated the update into the ISO so 17763.1 became 17763.55 and I used it to clean install.

    Therefore, I can't uninstall KB4462919. But although I have had the association issue crop up when double-clicking a file, I hadn't noticed it to be as much of an issue as I'd normally expect before I set all the associations I would usually want.

    I have always fixed them in the modern UI dialog that pops up asking which app/program you would like to use and they've stayed fixed.

    I don't use the Settings or the Control Panel to set defaults until they occur naturally. It's possible I haven't fixed them all yet but it's not something I would rush to do, I just pick them up as they are found.
    I'm still on 1803, KB4462919 was installed over a week ago, and I have seen this problem once:

    I double-clicked on a Zip file and the modern UI dialog appeared. Similar to @winactive I chose 7-Zip File Manager which WAS PREVIOUSLY the associated app and it worked. That was a few days ago and the PC has been restarted twice since then.

    I Just double-clicked on some zip files and they correctly opened with 7
    -Zip File Manager. As far as i can tell, all my other app associations have remained set.

    I've looked at the
    associations in both CP and Settings and they all look OK
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 668
    Win 10 pro
    Thread Starter
       #23

    Can you change ".txt" to notepad++?
      My Computer


  4. VBF
    Posts : 593
    Win 10 Pro
       #24

    roy111 said:
    Can you change ".txt" to notepad++?
    No changed it to Wordpad - we're cross posting - see
    Windows 10 October 2018 Update rollout now paused - Page 203 - Windows 10 Forums
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 384
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #25

    roy111 said:
    Can you change ".txt" to notepad++?
    Might not be a clean test. I installed Libre Office before I opened a .txt file so I set it in the UI already, to Notepad. Now I have an association, I won't get the UI prompt, so I'll have to use another method, which some of you say doesn't work.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 7,453
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #26

    VBF said:
    I Just double-clicked on some zip files and they correctly opened with 7-Zip File Manager.
    They cannot do so at my end.

    roy111 said:
    Can you change ".txt" to notepad++?
    I cannot do so.
      My Computer


  7. VBF
    Posts : 593
    Win 10 Pro
       #27

    Matthew Wai said:
    They cannot do so at my end.


    I cannot do so.
    As i said above - changed them to Wordpad and back to Notepad
    Looks as if I'm lucky with this one
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 384
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #28

    Matthew Wai said:
    They cannot do so at my end.


    I cannot do so.
    There is an option to install to the context menu so you can do it straight from the file anyway (v7.5.9)
      My Computers


  9. VBF
    Posts : 593
    Win 10 Pro
       #29

    winactive said:
    There is an option to install to the context menu so you can do it straight from the file anyway (v7.5.9)
    That's not an option @winactive - it automatically changes for me as i change the association.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 384
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #30

    VBF said:
    That's not an option @winactive - it automatically changes for me as i change the association.
    What I mean is the immediate issue (if it doesn't stay associated) isn't a difficult problem. Simply right-click the target file and open in Notepad++

    It's still a quick two clicks to open from the File Explorer.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums