QUESTION: How to make any app PORTABLE?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    #21

    There is a better solution with deep freeze or freeware alternative the pc is bomb proof you can get infected delete windows folder then rebbotand it all works as before Library - Faronics
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    #22

    Samuria said: View Post
    There is a better solution with deep freeze or freeware alternative the pc is bomb proof you can get infected delete windows folder then rebbotand it all works as before Library - Faronics
    Deep freeze doesnt cut it for what Alan wants to achieve. He wants to sort of install programs in an isolated space, keep the program for a while and restrict this programs from making permanent changes to the file system and the registry. Thats exactly what you get with Sandboxie but you cant do that with Deep freeze. With Deep freeze, you install the program and once you reboot, the program is gone, deleted.

    Besides that, let me make a short comparison for you between Light virtualization programs like Deep freeze and Sandboxie (an application sandbox). I never tested or used Deep freeze but I am very familiar with programs like Deep freeze. I used for a long time Shadow defender and also tested and used Time freeze. I think this type of programs are fantastic but in my personal view, they are better suited for testing programs that dont require a reboot or for testing changes in the system and then see the result of the changes in the system. For W10, I decided not to use Light virtualization programs but before, I used to use them along SBIE. I always used Sandboxie for security and the LV program for testing programs.

    Regarding security, stronger security is one thing you get with Sandboxie that you cant achieve with Deep freeze type programs. Via Sandbox settings, you can restrict the programs that can run in the sandbox, programs that can connect to the internet, Drop rights of programs that are allowed to run so even if you allow them to run, they cant install nothing in the sandboxed environment. Programs that are allowed to run, cant install drivers or services. Also, and as important, via Sandbox settings, you can block sandboxed programs from having access to your personal and sensitive files. That way you keep files that are important safe from being stolen. By using sandbox settings, you make things pretty tight in the sandbox and at the same time maintain usability intact. None of this things related to security can be done with Deep freeze, where every program can run, connect to the internet, have access to all files and folders in the system and anything can install.

    Bo
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    #23

    bo elam said: View Post
    Deep freeze doesnt cut it for what Alan wants to achieve. He wants to sort of install programs in an isolated space, keep the program for a while and restrict this programs from making permanent changes to the file system and the registry.


    • Thats exactly what you get with Sandboxie but you cant do that with Deep freeze.
    • With Deep freeze, you install the program and once you reboot, the program is gone, deleted.


    Besides that, let me make a short comparison for you between Light virtualization programs like Deep freeze and Sandboxie (an application sandbox). I never tested or used Deep freeze but I am very familiar with programs like Deep freeze. I used for a long time Shadow defender and also tested and used Time freeze. I think this type of programs are fantastic but in my personal view, they are better suited for testing programs that dont require a reboot or for testing changes in the system and then see the result of the changes in the system. For W10, I decided not to use Light virtualization programs but before, I used to use them along SBIE. I always used Sandboxie for security and the LV program for testing programs.

    Regarding security, stronger security is one thing you get with Sandboxie that you cant achieve with Deep freeze type programs. Via Sandbox settings, you can restrict the programs that can run in the sandbox, programs that can connect to the internet, Drop rights of programs that are allowed to run so even if you allow them to run, they cant install nothing in the sandboxed environment. Programs that are allowed to run, cant install drivers or services. Also, and as important, via Sandbox settings, you can block sandboxed programs from having access to your personal and sensitive files. That way you keep files that are important safe from being stolen. By using sandbox settings, you make things pretty tight in the sandbox and at the same time maintain usability intact.


    None of this things related to security can be done with Deep freeze, where:

    • every program can run
    • connect to the internet
    • have access to all files and folders in the system and
    • anything can install


    Bo


    @bo elam : I just found this post... (annotated for study purposes).

    BTW... thank you for all !

    • QUESTION: How to make any app PORTABLE? | 11 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 20 | 23 |
    • QUESTION: Efficacy of Running Portable Apps on Internal Hard Drive ? | #43, #44, #45 |


    ~ Alan
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    #24

    Samuria said: View Post
    There is a better solution with deep freeze or freeware alternative the pc is bomb proof you can get infected delete windows folder then rebbotand it all works as before Library - Faronics
    Either Reboot Restore Rx (freeware) or Toolwiz Time Freeze (freeware)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    #25

    I think Bree is right. It is not necessary to provide access to the registry online application. It's not safe.
    As for the original question, I do not know a single application that satisfies all requests. All of them require the installation for further work
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 173
    Windows XP, 10; Knoppix [Debian] linux
       #26

    I have used the following technique for simpler apps. It's a royal pain.

    First do a "mock install" of the app using Sandboxie, and then retrieve the installed files and registry data from the sandbox. Your PC will be otherwise unaltered as you are not actually installing anything in the real sense.

    Then run Cameyo in manual build mode. It will create a blank program template into which you can paste the installed program files and select the executable to be launched.

    Recovering the registry changes is more difficult as Sandboxie does not store it in standard .reg format. There are some registry editors (forgot which...) which can import the Sanboxie registry database and then save it out for you in a format that can be pasted into your nascent Cameyo app.

    Sometimes the registry changes are not needed at the time of install; may be created on first run in which the capture during installation is not essential.
    Last edited by mike s; 26 Oct 2018 at 10:48.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7.    #27

    Does anyone know of a site where I can get portable app?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.   My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    #29

    Yes, that IS what a portable app is.

    Everything a portable app needs should be placeable on any medium (preferably a portable medium, such as a thumb drive).
    Everything the app needs should be there.
    If the app needs to record settings or other data it should do so in its own folder.
    And it ought not require any installer.

    All of that is what makes it portable.
    lx07 said: View Post
    That is not what a portable app is.

    A portable app may not installed but it may (or may not) write to the registry. There is no limitation to writing to HKCU - anything run by any (non administrator user) can.
    This from the Rufus FAQ explains it in more detail
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Related Threads
Howdy, Members: 1. It it possible to install MS Word 2013 only... (without other MS Office apps) to my new notebook as portable and sandboxed? 2. Is there an online Word editor that can competently accomplish this task without the necessity...
Can Sandboxie be installed as a portable​? I ask for the following reasons: Portable Sandbox https://www.sandboxie.com/PortableSandbox
Hello, Power Users: I imagine this question has been asked often... but I can NOT find it anywhere... in this forum... or Google Search... PortableApps.com... but could not find an answer to this question: What is the efficacy or downside of...
Hello MiniTool Power Users: I am coming to this forum because MINITOOL TECH SUPPORT is UNRESPONSIVE after (7) email requests for support to a simple question: Would you please provide clear INSTRUCTIONS guiding HOW **to store the portable...
Hello, when i tried 10 (about 6months ago i'd say), what made me go back to 7 was that issue : It wasn't possible to associate (& therefore open) filetype with portables apps. Is that still the case?
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19.
Find Us