Windows 10: Anyone able to use Mail and Calendar apps?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    31 Jul 2015 #1

    Anyone able to use Mail and Calendar apps?


    I haven't been able to successfully use either Mail or Calendar, I've tested with an Office 365 account and a Gmail account. In both instances each app sits there for hours after I add the account, no data syncs (Mail says "Still working on it") and I'm not able to click the "New Email" or "New Event" button. The Office 365 mailbox is not large, about 500 MB, and I'm only trying to sync the Gmail calendar (the inbox for the Gmail account is completely empty FWIW).

    I upgraded from Windows 7 Pro x64. All Windows Updates have been installed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    31 Jul 2015 #2

    Mail launches for me, but it likes to shut down a lot for no reason. I've gone back to viewing my mail in Chrome or Firefox for now.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    03 Aug 2015 #3

    I've started using them and, so far, have to say I'm very pleased. Calendar's seamless syncing with my iCloud calendar is a very welcome development, as any calendar that can't do that is essentially worthless to me. Beyond that, I like the Calendar layout and responsiveness. I do hope that there's eventually a way to alter some of the appearance parameters, like fonts and colors.

    After years of using either Thunderbird or just webmail, I'm glad to see a functional Mail app in Windows again. I'm not ready to give it a final grade....I just set it up yesterday and want to use it for a week or so to see if any issues arise...but so far, so good. Setting up my accounts was easy and I really like the overall layout, which uses the screen space well. (My biggest complaint using Outlook.com is the tiny space allotted for actual message display. And gmail's webmail is just an ugly interface.)

    My one issue, at this point, is Mail's default message display font. Everything is shown in Times New Roman (or something similar) and it looks like some kind of rendering error. I've been hunting around in the registry to see if I can find a setting to change the default, but haven't found anything yet.

    A google search suggests that many others are unhappy about this as well. I have a suspicion that it's just a bug that's ignoring messages' HTML formatting and, because of the complaints and MS's desire to get people to use their apps, it'll get fixed fairly soon. It's not a deal-breaker, and I'll be staying with these apps to see how their development progresses in the coming months.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    04 Aug 2015 #4

    The mail and calender app are not syncing for me too. I added my hotmail account but I'm getting nothing, tried deleting them and re-adding but still nothing. Also tried adding a different account and still get the same problem
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    04 Aug 2015 #5

    For me mail and calendar is working. It also shows notification in Action center.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       04 Aug 2015 #6

    SmoothLefty21 said: View Post
    I haven't been able to successfully use either Mail or Calendar, I've tested with an Office 365 account and a Gmail account. In both instances each app sits there for hours after I add the account, no data syncs (Mail says "Still working on it") and I'm not able to click the "New Email" or "New Event" button. The Office 365 mailbox is not large, about 500 MB, and I'm only trying to sync the Gmail calendar (the inbox for the Gmail account is completely empty FWIW).

    I upgraded from Windows 7 Pro x64. All Windows Updates have been installed.
    TRy this:
    Apps - Re-register in Windows 8 and 10 - Windows 10 Forums

    After it finishes, launch the Store app,
    click on the user icon,
    select downloads
    press check for updates

    Press update all

    If the Store app is in the list, it will close the Store when it updates itself
    Launch it again and check for updates - just in case some did not complete before the Store closed
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    04 Aug 2015 #7

    Mail and Calendar App is working for me, be sure to update it via Windows Store after upgrading to/clean install Windows 10 because the app that comes with Windows 10 installer is not actually updated.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    05 Aug 2015 #8

    Jairus24 said: View Post
    Mail and Calendar App is working for me, be sure to update it via Windows Store after upgrading to/clean install Windows 10 because the app that comes with Windows 10 installer is not actually updated.
    Wut? How? Can't find "update" or "install" button. I did a clean install and I don't get any notification.
    Last edited by tofmin; 05 Aug 2015 at 02:47.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    05 Aug 2015 #9

    lvgandhi said: View Post
    For me mail and calendar is working. It also shows notification in Action center.
    Same here, working with outlook and gmail accounts wonderfully. The calendar notifications is a welcomed feature coming from Win 7.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    09 Aug 2015 #10

    Jairus24 said: View Post
    Mail and Calendar App is working for me, be sure to update it via Windows Store after upgrading to/clean install Windows 10 because the app that comes with Windows 10 installer is not actually updated.
    Sadly I can't open the Store either.....
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Mail and Calendar Apps won't open in Software and Apps
I just installed the Windows 10 Preview on my Surface Pro 3 and immediately updated it to the 10130 build. Anytime that I try to open up the Mail and Calendar apps, both will pop up for 1 second and then immediately crash. I've searched fixes but...
I installed windows 10 upgrading from Win 8.1 Pro. and some built in apps will not run. The apps won't run are: Mail Calendar Calculator People Photos The icons for these are greyed out. When I click on them, I see a window open and...
Like how Outlook does it. I don't use them for that reason alone.
Read more: http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-10-build-10051-has-new-mail-and-calendar-apps See also: Windows 10 build 10051: A closer look at the new Mail app Windows 10 10051: A closer look at the new calendar app
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01.
Find Us