Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    30 Jul 2015 #1
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 12
    Windows 10

    How to enable Cortana on a local account?


    I've noticed that I need to switch the entire computer to a Microsoft account, just to use Cortana!
    Is there a way to use Cortana normally, but while keeping the local account?
    On Windows 8, I used to be able to sign in individually for each app, can I do the same thing for Cortana?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    30 Jul 2015 #2
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 12
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Bump
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    30 Jul 2015 #3
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Posts : 120
    Windows 8

    Quote Originally Posted by The King View Post
    I've noticed that I need to switch the entire computer to a Microsoft account, just to use Cortana!
    Is there a way to use Cortana normally, but while keeping the local account?
    On Windows 8, I used to be able to sign in individually for each app, can I do the same thing for Cortana?
    I sign in with a local account. Cortana appears to work, though as I won't share my contacts with MS I don't get very far.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    30 Jul 2015 #4
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 12
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by machare View Post
    I sign in with a local account. Cortana appears to work, though as I won't share my contacts with MS I don't get very far.
    I'd really like to know how you managed to get Cortana working on a local account!
    Thanks a lot!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    31 Jul 2015 #5
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 12
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Bump
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    01 Aug 2015 #6
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Posts : 120
    Windows 8

    I did do quite a bit of messing about checking the language etc making sure it was supposed to work, particularly on my desktop computer. The laptop worked more easily. Unfortunately I can not provide a concise answer as to what was the magical step. The only thing I would say is that both computers do have MS accounts which I never use to sign on. I created these accounts my adding local accounts and then converting them to MS accounts to get the last two Insider build updates to install.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    01 Aug 2015 #7
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 12
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by machare View Post
    I did do quite a bit of messing about checking the language etc making sure it was supposed to work, particularly on my desktop computer. The laptop worked more easily. Unfortunately I can not provide a concise answer as to what was the magical step. The only thing I would say is that both computers do have MS accounts which I never use to sign on. I created these accounts my adding local accounts and then converting them to MS accounts to get the last two Insider build updates to install.
    So you mean like you have two accounts, and whenever you wanna use Cortana, you switch to the MS one?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    01 Aug 2015 #8
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Posts : 120
    Windows 8

    No, I never sign on with the MS accounts. I just said that I have the a/cs for the reason I mentioned.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    05 Aug 2015 #9
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 6
    Windows 10 Pro

    Hi all

    I have the same issue, can't connect to Cortana on a local account however I made sure that several things are setup properly:

    Region: United Kingdom
    Language English (United Kingdom)
    Time settings: +0 hrs London time
    Location: Turned on
    mic: working with skype/recorder and positive feedback test.

    what else should we look for?

    Thanks
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    19 Aug 2015 #10
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 1
    Windows 10

    Hi There,
    I am trying to set up Windows 10 Cortana. 1. You sign in to your Microsoft account, 2. Then, it asks you to enter your "Old Password" one last time. I have tried for hours, putting in every old password i ever used for my Microsoft account. I get "Red lettering" (which if I see one more time?) saying wrong password. Would someone please explain to me step by step how the heck I use Windows 10 Highly advertised "Cortan". Thank you for anyone's help in this matter. Thank You, Kevin2161
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
User Accounts Enable or Disable Elevated Administrator account in Windows 10
How to Enable or Disable Built-in Elevated Administrator Account in Windows 10 This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable the hidden built-in elevated Administrator account in Windows 10. You must be signed in as an administrator...
Tutorials
How do I set shares using Ms Account - Works fine when LOCAL account
Hi there Using a LOCAL account I have no problem with Shares -- how do I set these now using an Ms account. Samba just times out trying to access Windows machine where I'm logged on with an Ms account. Also I can't access other Windows...
Network and Sharing
Will a Local Account on Win 10 won't allow you to use Cortana & other
I saw a youtube review on Win 10 build 10159----https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkDXQ1zVJYA The person states that installing Win 10 under a Local Account instead of using an MS account won't allow you to use Cortana and some of the other MS...
User Accounts and Family Safety
IE11 crashes and restarts on MS account --OK on Local account
Hi there IE11 re-starts itself every so often after a few web pages -- only happens on MS account. It's FINE on a LOCAL account !!!!. You also see this Forum error sometimes (I've posted in the Forum bugs too). Cheers jimbo
Browsers and Email
User Accounts How to Tell if Local Account or Microsoft Account in Windows 10
You can sign in to Windows 10 with a local account or a Microsoft account. This tutorial will show you how to check if a user account in Windows 10 is either a local account or a Microsoft account. Microsoft account vs Local account Local...
Tutorials
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums