Windows 10 retail ?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

  1. Posts : 550
    10 pro 64
    Thread Starter
       #21

    Bree said:
    No, I mean the USB itself cannot be reformatted, written to or reused for any other purpose - Microsoft have made it permanently read-only as a security precaution.
    yes, the usb drive is encrypted . it really doesn't serve any purpose since all is really need is the license key
    Last edited by Barman58; 18 Dec 2017 at 14:25.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 550
    10 pro 64
    Thread Starter
       #22

    Superfly said:
    The installation media is generic - the product key determines the EULA type.
    True, but I'm still curious to know what is shown under Activation with the retail versions . All my PCs say Windows is activated with a digital license
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 376
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit Edition
       #23

    If you read on the MCT, it clearly says the download will be a earlier version. Once you install it, it installs 16299.15..
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 376
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit Edition
       #24

    Bree, A USB can be reformatted, any data on it will be deleted.
    If you have a USB with data on it, right click on USB, in list you will see Format.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 550
    10 pro 64
    Thread Starter
       #25

    MrHudson said:
    Bree, A USB can be reformatted, any data on it will be deleted.
    If you have a USB with data on it, right click on USB, in list you will see Format.
    Actually not the ones which Microsoft are selling windows on it, those flash drives are encrypted. Its funny MS don't actually updated them to the latest windows 10 version. And they can't tell which builds/ versions is on them, all they can tell you which year the flash drives were created
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 14,596
    Windows 10 IoT
       #26

    MrHudson said:
    Bree, A USB can be reformatted, any data on it will be deleted.
    If you have a USB with data on it, right click on USB, in list you will see Format.
    A normal thumb drive yes. These Microsoft branded Windows 10 thumb drives are hardware locked as read only. That's so they can't get corrupted or infected with malware etc. Downside is, they will very shortly become outdated when a new build gets released. Still usable, but you'll need to update/upgrade to the new build after your clean install

    @sn00ker When Windows 10 first came out, if I used one of my MSDN Retail keys, it would show as "activated with a product code". Now those same keys get a Digital License. Started with the AU I think? I do believe the only installs that don't get a Digital License are corporate Volume License installs. Even my MSDN Enterprise MAK keys get a Digital License.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 550
    10 pro 64
    Thread Starter
       #27

    alphanumeric said:
    A normal thumb drive yes. These Microsoft branded Windows 10 thumb drives are hardware locked as read only. That's so they can't get corrupted or infected with malware etc. Downside is, they will very shortly become outdated when a new build gets released. Still usable, but you'll need to update/upgrade to the new build after your clean install

    @sn00ker When Windows 10 first came out, if I used one of my MSDN Retail keys, it would show as "activated with a product code". Now those same keys get a Digital License. Started with the AU I think? I do believe the only installs that don't get a Digital License are corporate Volume License installs. Even my MSDN Enterprise MAK keys get a Digital License.
    Thanks... And the point I was trying to get to before I got a warning about those flash drive is like what you mention, after a new version comes out those drives are pretty much useless unless one wants to install an older version but why would anyone do such when it just make sense to always get the latest from MS site
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 14,596
    Windows 10 IoT
       #28

    The same deal would happen if they put a DVD in the box instead of a thumb drive. They just choose to use thumb drives, less chance of damaging them. Easier to carry in your pocket etc. It's just hard to wrap your head around not being able to update them like a normal thumb drive. Or reuse them for something else. If I had one, it wouldn't be long before I cracked it open to have a look inside to see if the read only was defeatable.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 550
    10 pro 64
    Thread Starter
       #29

    alphanumeric said:
    It's just hard to wrap your head around not being able to update them like a normal thumb drive. Or reuse them for something else. If I had one, it wouldn't be long before I cracked it open to have a look inside to see if the read only was defeatable.
    That's all its good for with these early versions / builds . I think I can too. But I wouldn't mind one when 10 is really stable
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 14,596
    Windows 10 IoT
       #30

    "really stable"? The cycle seems to be fix, break, fix, break. IMHO, a build should never go public if it has "know issues". That's fine if its an insider build, but not if its a general release to non insiders. Sorry, off topic I know. I just feel like Windows 10 isn't a finished product, and never will be. They keep adding stuff but don't clean up the left overs. Why do we still have Control Panel and Settings for example. Rant over.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:31.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums