PW7015L Power Companion With Dell XPS 9510/9520?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1. Posts : 296
    Windows 10

PW7015L Power Companion With Dell XPS 9510/9520?

Hi. I am using an old dell xps 15 9550 from years ago. I had bought 2 PW7015L power companions to use with my laptop. I know this is a barrel type of powerbank. And from what I see on dell site, many of the xps laptops after the 9550 use usb-c for the powerbank correct? Thus the 9510/9520 would use the PW7018LC powerbank as its usb-c.

My question is could I still use the PW7015L power companion with the 9510/9520 laptop if I choose to buy one of these 2 xps laptops? The issue is the power companion I have is a barrel and not usb-c but I recall reading somewhere you could buy an adapter and that would work with the new xps laptops? Can others confirm this or not? And what is the link to that adapter and has anyone here bought it and used it with success? Because I will most likely get a xps 9510 or 9520 and would want to use my current power companions and wouldn't want to buy another 2 of them etc.

Someone said I can if I buy this adapter? But seem to be out of stock for a long time?

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/acce...UJcSezjrKmnTcU

- - - Updated - - -

Now what if i buy another laptop like say a lenovo legion or lenovo legion 7 or asus g14 laptop. Would I be able to use the Dell PW7015L along with that adapter to those non dell laptops if it has usb-c charging? Or I would have to buy the Dell PW7018LC for that? Does that one work with other brands or not? I am asking this because I have 2 PW7015L powerbanks that I use with my dell xps 15 9550 and if i get a new laptop... whether dell xps 9510/9520 or a lenovo/asus... I want to be able to use those powerbanks if it means just buying that adapter you posted?

Thank you.
      My Computer

2. Posts : 16,950
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 22H2 Build 19045.4170

I use Dell powerbanks.
    - Mine are all the 'barrel' type, like yours.
    - I've used them with Dell Inspirons 7779, 1545 & 9300.
    - I've seen that USB-C type on the Dell website but do not have any suitable computers.

I take a look at every thread that I notice is about Dell powerbanks and I have never seen anybody answer your questions.

If you got a new computer that had a barrel type power input then you would have to check that it required the same input voltage [19.5V] and that it required not more than the input current specified on your Dell powerbanks.
    - You'd also want to check to see if the new computer had the same barrel size as your Dell power adapter & Dell powerbanks. The Dell powerbanks were delivered with two different sizes for two different models.

I have no idea if a barrel to USB-C adapter would work for you or not. Certainly, its description makes me think it should work & the user reviews say that it did for others.
    - You'd still need to check the voltage & current requirements before even bothering with such an experiment.

All the best,
    Denis
      My Computer

3. Posts : 296
    Windows 10

Try3 said:
    I use Dell powerbanks.
    - Mine are all the 'barrel' type, like yours.
    - I've used them with Dell Inspirons 7779, 1545 & 9300.
    - I've seen that USB-C type on the Dell website but do not have any suitable computers.

I take a look at every thread that I notice is about Dell powerbanks and I have never seen anybody answer your questions.

If you got a new computer that had a barrel type power input then you would have to check that it required the same input voltage [19.5V] and that it required not more than the input current specified on your Dell powerbanks.
    - You'd also want to check to see if the new computer had the same barrel size as your Dell power adapter & Dell powerbanks. The Dell powerbanks were delivered with two different sizes for two different models.

I have no idea if a barrel to USB-C adapter would work for you or not. Certainly, its description makes me think it should work & the user reviews say that it did for others.
    - You'd still need to check the voltage & current requirements before even bothering with such an experiment.

All the best,
    Denis

Thanks for the response. But that dell link with that adapter would 100% work right?

So how do I find of adapters that would work for this? Because I want to use the same 2 PW7015L barrel power bank on my new xps 15 9520 laptop. I don't want to buy new powerbanks for the new laptop.

Someone had suggested something like this and mentioned this

It would either be a 4.5mm to USB C adapter or a 7.4 to USB C adapter. The size needed would be the size that fits into your batter. As an example,

Sorry! Something went wrong!
      My Computer

4. Posts : 16,950

1 I have no idea.
    2 I have no idea.

Ask the suppliers.

Denis
      My Computer

5. Posts : 2,585
    Win 11

On one new XPS laptop I field tested for Dell the wrong size power supply was sent. It was sensed (somehow) and I got an error notice at the "POST" that the PC required a 130 watt power supply and the one I was using was a 90 watt. Dell had to send me the correct 130 watt power supply before I could boot the PC.

I would suspect using a non-Dell power supply is iffy.

We see non Dell OEM replacement batteries with errors and they will not get charged. Only Dell OEM batteries will be charged.
      My Computers

6. Posts : 296
    Windows 10

Try3 said:
    1 I have no idea.
    2 I have no idea.

Ask the suppliers.

Denis

The issue is it is sold out on Dell.

- - - Updated - - -

fireberd said:
    On one new XPS laptop I field tested for Dell the wrong size power supply was sent. It was sensed (somehow) and I got an error notice at the "POST" that the PC required a 130 watt power supply and the one I was using was a 90 watt. Dell had to send me the correct 130 watt power supply before I could boot the PC.

I would suspect using a non-Dell power supply is iffy.

We see non Dell OEM replacement batteries with errors and they will not get charged. Only Dell OEM batteries will be charged.

Well the PW7015L when I first used it for the old xps 15 9550, it gave me message that it was that 130W but it still worked. The manual on the PW7015L actually says that as well.

Yea using a non dell is probably not a good idea. But the dell adapter has been out of stock for a long time already. So what can I use? I find it a bit ridiculous a modern xps laptop doesn't have a power bank compatible with it? The PW7018LC would work though right? But again I have to buy that and I still want to use my old PW7015L.
      My Computer

7. Posts : 2,585
    Win 11

Newmann said:
    The issue is it is sold out on Dell.

- - - Updated - - -

Well the PW7015L when I first used it for the old xps 15 9550, it gave me message that it was that 130W but it still worked. The manual on the PW7015L actually says that as well.

Yea using a non dell is probably not a good idea. But the dell adapter has been out of stock for a long time already. So what can I use? I find it a bit ridiculous a modern xps laptop doesn't have a power bank compatible with it? The PW7018LC would work though right? But again I have to buy that and I still want to use my old PW7015L.
    I won't comment on a 3rd party power supply. My Dell laptop experiences, owning a Dell Inspiron "gaming" laptop (not used for gaming) and three new models field tested is only use the Dell OEM.

Parts People have Dell OEM parts (they are in Austin). Maybe they have a compatible Dell OEM supply?
    That is where we send people on the Dell forums.
      My Computers

8. Posts : 296
    Windows 10

fireberd said:
    I won't comment on a 3rd party power supply. My Dell laptop experiences, owning a Dell Inspiron "gaming" laptop (not used for gaming) and three new models field tested is only use the Dell OEM.

Parts People have Dell OEM parts (they are in Austin). Maybe they have a compatible Dell OEM supply?
    That is where we send people on the Dell forums.

I checked that site as well. It is out of stock. I cannot find this adapter anywhere.
      My Computer

9. Posts : 16,950

You need to ask the suppliers of your prospective components about compatibility with your computer.

Personally, I think that the Dell USB-C Laptop Power Bank Plus 65 Wh - PW7018LC is the only one you are going to get an authoritative answer about. And the way they write their compatibility lists, you'll probably want to use their Contact us button in the bottom right corner to get confirmation.

I've also posted this in your ElevenForum thread.

Denis
      My Computer

10. Posts : 296
    Windows 10

Since my old xps 9550 worked fine with the PW7015L since 9550 has a 130W charger, then the xps 9520 with the PW7018LC is the same thing right? I did read a comment by someone the 9520 requires minimum 90W... so that mean the 9520 wouldn't work?

Or it works but not as good? Would it be able to work and charge at the same time? There was no issue with this with the old 9550 and the PW7015L.
    Last edited by Newmann; 16 Oct 2022 at 16:45.
      My Computer