Windows 10: TiWorker.exe driving me nuts - disc usage


  1. Posts : 248
    Windows 10 64-bit home
       21 Nov 2017 #1

    TiWorker.exe driving me nuts - disc usage


    TiWorker keeps chewing up my HDD today. It keeps popping up in my resource monitor, causing my HDD to make a ton of racket (it's a loud WD black drive). In task manager, I right-click on it and select low priority, but then a few minutes later when it pops back up again, it's set back to normal. What can I do to reign this in? I understand it's part of Windows update, but this is getting very annoying. I ran a full Windows update successfully just a couple weeks ago. I have the registry tweak set so that my wired connection is marked as metered so Windows update doesn't force updates at all the worst times. Also, since I read this is sometimes related to low disc space, my disc space is currently at only 23GB free as I've got lots of temp files stored on it until I back them up. I don't see why that should affect Windows update though.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 31,211
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       21 Nov 2017 #2

    rivre said: View Post
    TiWorker keeps chewing up my HDD today. It keeps popping up in my resource monitor, causing my HDD to make a ton of racket (it's a loud WD black drive). In task manager, I right-click on it and select low priority, but then a few minutes later when it pops back up again, it's set back to normal. What can I do to reign this in? I understand it's part of Windows update, but this is getting very annoying. I ran a full Windows update successfully just a couple weeks ago. I have the registry tweak set so that my wired connection is marked as metered so Windows update doesn't force updates at all the worst times. Also, since I read this is sometimes related to low disc space, my disc space is currently at only 23GB free as I've got lots of temp files stored on it until I back them up. I don't see why that should affect Windows update though.
    Very hard to say for certain, but TiWorker is also used by scheduled maintenance. Part of that is to permanently apply older patches and compress the contents. It can go for some time. You can disable the Scheduled Maintenance job (not recommended), or just let it finish. If you try to corral it in, it's just gonna get back out. It's much worse on a HDD, particularly if the HDD is fragmented. Looks like it's just getting around to maintenance from last Tuesday Patches.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 248
    Windows 10 64-bit home
    Thread Starter
       21 Nov 2017 #3

    It's awful. My drive is pretty fragmented I'm sure. But it just won't stop. It's been chewing up my HDD all afternoon, every few minutes it starts up again.

    Why does it keep changing to normal priority when I set it to low? It seems every time the process starts again it reverts back to normal.

    This and "system volume information" keeps appearing at the top of the disk activity tab in the resource manager.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 31,211
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       21 Nov 2017 #4

    rivre said: View Post
    It's awful. My drive is pretty fragmented I'm sure. But it just won't stop. It's been chewing up my HDD all afternoon, every few minutes it starts up again.

    Why does it keep changing to normal priority when I set it to low? It seems every time the process starts again it reverts back to normal.

    This and "system volume information" keeps appearing at the top of the disk activity tab in the resource manager.
    System Volume Information is likely the VSS writers maintaining temp shadow copies of the compression work going on. It gets a little complicated. It starts and stops because those processes are designed to run in idle time, and will pause or be suspended by the system when it detects activity (you). When it starts back up, it takes it's default priority....normal. It's painful on a HDD. You've got a decent cpu, I7 Skylake 6700k, so it's not process bound. You most likely have defrag set to auto, but it doesn't hurt to do it yourself occasionally. In the search field, type OPTIMIZE and choose the top entry, "Defrag and Optimize". It will show if you do have it set to auto, and there you can defrag it yourself any time you want to. Also, occasionally run the Disk Cleanup yourself.

    Open and Use Disk Cleanup in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

    Change Optimize Drives Schedule Settings in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 248
    Windows 10 64-bit home
    Thread Starter
       21 Nov 2017 #5

    Thanks for the explanations. At least I have an idea of what it's up to.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 31,211
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       21 Nov 2017 #6

    rivre said: View Post
    Thanks for the explanations. At least I have an idea of what it's up to.
    You're welcome, sir!
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 248
    Windows 10 64-bit home
    Thread Starter
       21 Nov 2017 #7

    Thanks for the explanations. At least I have an idea of what it's up to.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 248
    Windows 10 64-bit home
    Thread Starter
       21 Nov 2017 #8

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    You're welcome, sir!
    It did finally settle down.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Windows updates driving me NUTS! in Windows Updates and Activation
It seems like lately, that every time Windows does a patch/upgrade, it wipes out my Edge favorites! This has happened 3 times in the last two weeks! Also, I suddenly cannot download anything from the Windows store either. Ready to pull my hair out!...
Hello all, Yes, unfortunately another thread about windows 10's wonderful temp profile. I thought i fixed it last week with the changing of the .bak in registry, but no. And it's not just one profile, every local profile i have does it, even the...
Hey guys I'm currently having a huge problem... I recently changed my hard drive cause of the random 100% disc usage spikes... Well to no sucess that didn't work. It still causes major spikes i've noticed it mainly happens when i download something....
yes, i need help! random bsod driving me nuts in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
hi i tried interpreting these dump files myself to work out my woes, but no, no, no...i give up and am not ashamed to ask for help! there are 30 dmp files, but i don't want to bother someone to go through them all, but i suppose there might be...
Hello and thank you for taking the time to read my post! Please see attached the Minidumps that were collected after running dm_log_collector.exe Computer specs I expect should be visible in my profile. In case I missed some crucial information,...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22.
Find Us