Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    30 Oct 2017 #1
    Join Date : Apr 2017
    Posts : 13
    Windows 10 Creators Update

    Fall Creators Update poor performance/lagginess FIX


    Hi,

    ever since FCU update, I've been experiencing general slowness and lagginess of Windows, even in trivial things, like maximizing/restoring Explorer window, as well as some extreme performance regressions in professional software, such as 3ds Max, DaVinci Resolve or Photoshop. And it seems I am not alone.

    Recently, one of my friends, who is a programmer, found a fix to this issue, for which I am eternally grateful to him.

    SO! I will try to basically translate what he said:
    With FCU, Microsoft has introduced some new crap with which they try to blindly patch exploits in softwares. These blind patches significantly reduce performance of some functions, and they are enabled by default system-wide. It is a questionable decision, but since Windows is seeding ground for all kinds of viruses, flash, acrobat and browser exploits, it's to some degree understandable.

    But now comes the ridiculous parts: There's one system function, called GetPixel - which Microsoft stresses in their own documentation, you should never ever use, because it's slow as hell. This function is affected by one of these exploit preventions, making it further 10-100x slower. And guess what, Microsoft themselves use it in the Ribbon! Yes! That is right! The ribbon you can find for example in Windows explorer!

    Furthermore, this function, and many others similarly affected are frequently used in some more complex, professional grade software, especially computer graphics softwares. But not only there; The fix to the issue was actually discovered by programmers who found that Tortoise Git runs several dozen times slower than how it did before FCU.

    Alright, so with the explanation of the issue out of the way, here is how to fix it:

    1, Hit start menu and type "Defender", it should bring up "Windows Defender settings" entry, so open it.

    2, Another juicy part - if you use another AV software, like for example in my case - ESET, then you would naturally assume everything Defender related is disabled, and you would be wrong. If you use Defender, you will be brought to the Windows Defender Security Center straight away, but if you don't, you will end up on a Settings page saying that Windows Defender is not available because it's turned off. Click "Turn on Windows Defender Antivirus" - don't worry, your AV software will disable it again straight away.

    3, Once you are in Windows Defender Security Center, Click App & browser control button

    4, Scroll all the way down, to Exploit protection, and click Exploit protection settings text

    5, Once on Exploit protection page, set Control flow guard (CFG) to OFF.

    6, It will prompt you to restart your PC

    7, After the restart, enjoy your smooth Windows experience again

    8, Curse Microsoft for the rest of your life and be very skeptical about new feature updates.

    Hope it helps!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    30 Oct 2017 #2
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,615
    W10 Insider + Linux

    More security always means more load on system because it must stay between OS and program operations and system itself to be effective. Only way to stop malware is to interdict it before it makes problems or invade system, later on, after it does it's damage, it may be too late.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    30 Oct 2017 #3
    Join Date : Mar 2015
    Posts : 118
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    I did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro Fall Creators Update x64 on both my pc's the afternoon it was released.
    With both my pc's havpng a ssd and my registry tweaks to speed things up, I haven't notice any performance issues.
    The only thing I've noticed is FCU doesn't like some software, that previous versions of 10 had no issues with.
    It doesn't like Sapphire TRiXX for my video card and it doesn't like OpenDNS Updater, so I uninstalled both and just check if both companies have a newer version. So far neither do.
    I've also notice a weird issue were my wired Ethernet connection takes one minute in FCU to have a usable internet connection.
    Thee registry tweaks I'm talking about are:
    HKEY_CurentUser_ControlPanel_Desktop_MenuShowDelay (set to 1 for a ssd)
    HKEY_CurrentUser_ControlPanel_Mouse_MouseHoverTime (Set to 1 for ssd)
    Default for each setting is 400.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    30 Oct 2017 #4
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    NW Florida
    Posts : 9,653
    Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Pro Insider

    Quote Originally Posted by rawalanche View Post
    Hi,

    ever since FCU update, I've been experiencing general slowness and lagginess of Windows, even in trivial things, like maximizing/restoring Explorer window, as well as some extreme performance regressions in professional software, such as 3ds Max, DaVinci Resolve or Photoshop. And it seems I am not alone.

    Recently, one of my friends, who is a programmer, found a fix to this issue, for which I am eternally grateful to him.

    SO! I will try to basically translate what he said:
    With FCU, Microsoft has introduced some new crap with which they try to blindly patch exploits in softwares. These blind patches significantly reduce performance of some functions, and they are enabled by default system-wide. It is a questionable decision, but since Windows is seeding ground for all kinds of viruses, flash, acrobat and browser exploits, it's to some degree understandable.

    But now comes the ridiculous parts: There's one system function, called GetPixel - which Microsoft stresses in their own documentation, you should never ever use, because it's slow as hell. This function is affected by one of these exploit preventions, making it further 10-100x slower. And guess what, Microsoft themselves use it in the Ribbon! Yes! That is right! The ribbon you can find for example in Windows explorer!

    Furthermore, this function, and many others similarly affected are frequently used in some more complex, professional grade software, especially computer graphics softwares. But not only there; The fix to the issue was actually discovered by programmers who found that Tortoise Git runs several dozen times slower than how it did before FCU.

    Alright, so with the explanation of the issue out of the way, here is how to fix it:

    1, Hit start menu and type "Defender", it should bring up "Windows Defender settings" entry, so open it.

    2, Another juicy part - if you use another AV software, like for example in my case - ESET, then you would naturally assume everything Defender related is disabled, and you would be wrong. If you use Defender, you will be brought to the Windows Defender Security Center straight away, but if you don't, you will end up on a Settings page saying that Windows Defender is not available because it's turned off. Click "Turn on Windows Defender Antivirus" - don't worry, your AV software will disable it again straight away.

    3, Once you are in Windows Defender Security Center, Click App & browser control button

    4, Scroll all the way down, to Exploit protection, and click Exploit protection settings text

    5, Once on Exploit protection page, set Control flow guard (CFG) to OFF.

    6, It will prompt you to restart your PC

    7, After the restart, enjoy your smooth Windows experience again

    8, Curse Microsoft for the rest of your life and be very skeptical about new feature updates.

    Hope it helps!
    So, basically you are advocating giving up security for speed? Not something I would advise anyone to do and not something I think is wise. I have a similar system as yours and I have none of those problems. Just because you have issues does not automatically make it Microsoft's fault. There are a lot of other things that could cause similar problems.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    30 Oct 2017 #5
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 6,375
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
    So, basically you are advocating giving up security for speed? Not something I would advise anyone to do and not something I think is wise. I have a similar system as yours and I have none of those problems. Just because you have issues does not automatically make it Microsoft's fault. There are a lot of other things that could cause similar problems.
    As Einstein said, a little knowledge is dangerous, a lot is more !
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    30 Oct 2017 #6
    Join Date : Apr 2017
    Posts : 13
    Windows 10 Creators Update
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
    So, basically you are advocating giving up security for speed? Not something I would advise anyone to do and not something I think is wise. I have a similar system as yours and I have none of those problems. Just because you have issues does not automatically make it Microsoft's fault. There are a lot of other things that could cause similar problems.
    The little benefit of added security (this particular exploit patch is targeted to very specific malware types) meant I was not able to use some of my software I used on daily basis to make living. 3ds Max for example would run at terrible framerates as long as I had scene explorer open, but I needed to have scene explorer open almost all the time, otherwise my productivity would drop significantly. It was really that bad.

    For the first time in my life, since I started working, I realized how fragile my livelihood is. That all the software I need to create and finish projects is running on a single OS, which is becoming increasingly unstable and unreliable since W10 release, to the point it actually affected my ability to finish project, get paid for it, and pay my bills. This is no joke.

    When you have some professional piece of software, you are usually able to get some professional support, eventual patch, or at least professional advice for a workaround. Do you know what I got when I tried to contact Microsoft support with this very specific problem? A guy, probably from India, who figured out my poor graphical performance is caused by too many files in Appdata\Local\Temp....

    Yes, it makes it Microsoft's fault because:

    1, You probably can not spot the issues because you don't really care about system smoothness
    2, You probably can not spot the issues because you don't use any computer graphics profession software
    3, The issue only started to occur after Fall Creators Update
    4, The issue ceased to exist after disabling a feature introduced in Fall Creators Update
    5, Many of my friends working in similar field reported similar issues, most of which were fixed by disabling CFG.
    6, The performance regression affects even Microsoft's own Ribbon inside Microsoft's own Explorer shipped with Microsoft's own Windows.

    The proof here is undeniable. I am all for security, don't take me wrong. But 10-100x performance drop for widely used function is not justified, no matter how important the security fix is. It's simply a poor execution. This thread is mainly here fore people who will run into the same problems, and will be equally as desperate as I did.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    30 Oct 2017 #7
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Trnava
    Posts : 2,944
    10.4 Home 1709 x64

    The software has to support CFG and enable it. So I guess, you can also disable it with a parameter?
    Windows explorer is the most exploited shell by malware, so it makes sense, that it is enabled there.

    So what exactly is CFG? CFG is a new mechanism that developers can enable for their program. Enabling this option will insert extra security checks that will detect attempts to hijack the original code. According to a MSDN blog post:

    “So, even though the original code contained a bug that was exploitable by an attacker; and even though the authors of the code were not aware of that bug, and had not fixed it; and even though an attacker succeeded in his first steps to exploit the security hole; nonetheless, CFG will stop the attack from causing subsequent damage.”
    Control Flow Guard (Windows)

    P.S.: You can disable it per software.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails capture_10302017_125230.jpg  
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    30 Oct 2017 #8
    Join Date : Apr 2017
    Posts : 13
    Windows 10 Creators Update
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by TairikuOkami View Post
    The software has to support CFG and enable it. So I guess, you can also disable it with a parameter?
    Windows explorer is the most exploited shell by malware, so it makes sense, that it is enabled there.
    Control Flow Guard (Windows)
    P.S.: You can disable it per software.
    Yes, I found that out already myself. About explorer - when CFG is enabled, there's visible jerkiness/lagginess in maximize/minimize/restore animations as well as scrolling lag when browsing folders with large amount of pictures.

    I do not believe that any security measure should make something as trivial as a file/folder explorer perform poorly on GTX1080Ti, i7 5930k and 48GB of RAM. It's truly incredible that in the year 2017, I have an incredibly powerful hardware I've invested so much money into, yet I have a Windows version that can not even do 2D window animations and browse pictures smoothly. The performance is worse than many years ago, when I get GeForce 6600 and I was running Windows Vista.

    It's as if everyone here was suggesting that not being able to run 2D rasterized file explorer on high end hardware smoothly in a year 2017 due to the exploit patches is completely normal and adequate.

    If I had to project a trajectory from this trend, then in a few years of time, when I have 32-Core 64-thread CPU, and GPU with the 4x performance of currently insanely powerful GTX1080Ti, 24FPS animation and realtime feedback in Windows will be unachievable luxury.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    30 Oct 2017 #9
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Trnava
    Posts : 2,944
    10.4 Home 1709 x64

    Quote Originally Posted by rawalanche View Post
    I do not believe that any security measure should make something as trivial as a file/folder explorer perform poorly on GTX1080Ti, i7 5930k and 48GB of RAM.
    Indeed and not just that, after clean install I had to wait for 30 secs before I was able to use Windows, otherwise I got "Windows not responding". My tweaks fixed it, but something like that is just unacceptable.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    1 Week Ago #10
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 4
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by rawalanche View Post
    Hi,

    ever since FCU update, I've been experiencing general slowness and lagginess of Windows, even in trivial things, like maximizing/restoring Explorer window, as well as some extreme performance regressions in professional software, such as 3ds Max, DaVinci Resolve or Photoshop. And it seems I am not alone.

    Recently, one of my friends, who is a programmer, found a fix to this issue, for which I am eternally grateful to him.

    SO! I will try to basically translate what he said:
    With FCU, Microsoft has introduced some new crap with which they try to blindly patch exploits in softwares. These blind patches significantly reduce performance of some functions, and they are enabled by default system-wide. It is a questionable decision, but since Windows is seeding ground for all kinds of viruses, flash, acrobat and browser exploits, it's to some degree understandable.

    But now comes the ridiculous parts: There's one system function, called GetPixel - which Microsoft stresses in their own documentation, you should never ever use, because it's slow as hell. This function is affected by one of these exploit preventions, making it further 10-100x slower. And guess what, Microsoft themselves use it in the Ribbon! Yes! That is right! The ribbon you can find for example in Windows explorer!

    Furthermore, this function, and many others similarly affected are frequently used in some more complex, professional grade software, especially computer graphics softwares. But not only there; The fix to the issue was actually discovered by programmers who found that Tortoise Git runs several dozen times slower than how it did before FCU.

    Alright, so with the explanation of the issue out of the way, here is how to fix it:

    1, Hit start menu and type "Defender", it should bring up "Windows Defender settings" entry, so open it.

    2, Another juicy part - if you use another AV software, like for example in my case - ESET, then you would naturally assume everything Defender related is disabled, and you would be wrong. If you use Defender, you will be brought to the Windows Defender Security Center straight away, but if you don't, you will end up on a Settings page saying that Windows Defender is not available because it's turned off. Click "Turn on Windows Defender Antivirus" - don't worry, your AV software will disable it again straight away.

    3, Once you are in Windows Defender Security Center, Click App & browser control button

    4, Scroll all the way down, to Exploit protection, and click Exploit protection settings text

    5, Once on Exploit protection page, set Control flow guard (CFG) to OFF.

    6, It will prompt you to restart your PC

    7, After the restart, enjoy your smooth Windows experience again

    8, Curse Microsoft for the rest of your life and be very skeptical about new feature updates.

    Hope it helps!
    When I follow your directions I get no "Click App & browser control button" Any suggestions?
    Thaks
    Rick
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Fall Creators Update
Has anyone installed it yet? If so did it break anything for you? Debating If I should update or not.
General Support
Fall Creators Update poor Windows animation performance regression
Hi, another Windows update and yet another performance regression. With first Creators update, folders with large amount of pictures took very long to open and scrolling performance was terrible, and now with Fall Creators update, I am...
General Support
Solved Oct 17 Creators Fall update
Why is the Fall Creators update coming on Sunday instead of Tuesday? I still haven't received the April Creators update. Will Fall update skip the April update? Just curious.
Installation and Upgrade
Fall Creators Update
Anyone know what changes or improvements will be in the fall update?
General Support
Windows 10 Fall Creators Update called "Autumn Creators Update" in UK
Read more: Microsoft will call Windows 10's next update the 'Autumn Creators Update' in the UK | Windows Central Update: The Windows 10 Autumn Creators Update will be called 'Fall Creators Update' after all | Windows Central
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums