1.    18 Oct 2017 #1
    Join Date : Feb 2016
    Posts : 66
    Win10

    More than 8Gb of free space disappeared after Fall Creators Update


    I already used Cleanmgr and deleted windows.old, etc, but still I have about 8-10 Gb of free space LESS than before I installed the Update.
    Before I installed the Update, I had 51 Gb of free space. Now, after the installation and all the cleanings, it's 42,9.

    Can this be only related to Windows Update installation files, that can be deleted only after a few days, if my memory helps me?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    18 Oct 2017 #2
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    S/E England
    Posts : 4,520
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)

    If you have system protection turned on then there may be some restore points as well. The upgrade to 16299.15 and the subsequent cumulative update to 16299.19 made five new restore point on my PC, occupying 3.95GB. This tutorial tells you how to find out (and delete them all if you wish).

    Turn On or Off System Protection for Drives in Windows 10

    Alternatively, delete all but the latest one in Disk Clean up (clean up system files). See option one, step 7 'To Delete all but the most recent Restore Point' in this tutorial.

    Open and Use Disk Cleanup in Windows 10
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    4 Weeks Ago #3
    Join Date : Feb 2016
    Posts : 66
    Win10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Bree View Post
    If you have system protection turned on then there may be some restore points as well. The upgrade to 16299.15 and the subsequent cumulative update to 16299.19 made five new restore point on my PC, occupying 3.95GB. This tutorial tells you how to find out (and delete them all if you wish).

    Turn On or Off System Protection for Drives in Windows 10

    Alternatively, delete all but the latest one in Disk Clean up (clean up system files). See option one, step 7 'To Delete all but the most recent Restore Point' in this tutorial.

    Open and Use Disk Cleanup in Windows 10
    Yes, thanks. I already have System Protection disabled and I also tried Disk Cleanup and extended Disk Cleanup. I guess, I just have to wait to delete Update files.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    4 Weeks Ago #4
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    S/E England
    Posts : 4,520
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)

    Sounds like you have done all you can for now. There are a few more things you could check, but they probably won't find much.

    One other thing you could look at is the swapfile. If this is set to 'System managed' it will grow as needed, but it doesn't seem to shrink when not needed. If yours pagefile.sys seems too large (typically it should be no larger that your RAM) then try turning it off then back on again to reset the size.

    Another is to look at your %temp% folder. Disk Cleanup normally only deletes older (about a week?) temp files in case the newest may be still be needed. It is safe to delete anything in %temp%, if a file is in use you won't be allowed to, anything you can delete isn't in use.

    Finally run a disk check in case there are any lost clusters.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    4 Weeks Ago #5
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 343
    Windows 10 Pro x64, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Windows 8.1 Pro x64

    Also this update turns on Fast Startup which creates a hibernate file. If you had previously turned off hibernate, this update would restores it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    4 Weeks Ago #6
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    S/E England
    Posts : 4,520
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)

    Quote Originally Posted by pbcopter View Post
    Also this update turns on Fast Startup which creates a hibernate file. If you had previously turned off hibernate, this update would restores it.
    Good point, I had forgotten that one (mine was already turned on). The hiberfil.sys it creates will be a bit less than half the size of your installed RAM.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    4 Weeks Ago #7
    Join Date : Oct 2017
    Posts : 469
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

    Use WinDirStat program to find out files that are taking lot more storage spaces.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    4 Weeks Ago #8
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    San Jose, California
    Posts : 2,151
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64

    After FCU from 1703 to 1709, My Windows actually get smaller in size ~1GB:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-10-19_12-36-40.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	238.6 KB 
ID:	159039

    In addition to the above:
    1. Run from Admin Command: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
      To clean up WinSxS folder.
    2. Delete everything under: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
      Those are files and folders downloaded during upgrade and can be deleted to free up the space.
    3. Even though you turned off "System Protection". Double check if you also click on "Delete" all restore points. Subsequent updates might turn "System Protection" on again(from build 16299.15 to 16299.19)
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    4 Weeks Ago #9
    Join Date : Feb 2016
    Posts : 66
    Win10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    After FCU from 1703 to 1709, My Windows actually get smaller in size ~1GB:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-10-19_12-36-40.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	238.6 KB 
ID:	159039

    In addition to the above:
    1. Run from Admin Command: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
      To clean up WinSxS folder.
    2. Delete everything under: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
      Those are files and folders downloaded during upgrade and can be deleted to free up the space.
    3. Even though you turned off "System Protection". Double check if you also click on "Delete" all restore points. Subsequent updates might turn "System Protection" on again(from build 16299.15 to 16299.19)
    Thanks, mate. I was a little afraid about the "dism" command. It looked like a restore image command. But it freed about 6-7 Gb
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Fall Creators Update
Has anyone installed it yet? If so did it break anything for you? Debating If I should update or not.
General Support
Solved Oct 17 Creators Fall update
Why is the Fall Creators update coming on Sunday instead of Tuesday? I still haven't received the April Creators update. Will Fall update skip the April update? Just curious.
Installation and Upgrade
Fall Creators Update
Anyone know what changes or improvements will be in the fall update?
General Support
Windows 10 Fall Creators Update called "Autumn Creators Update" in UK
Read more: Microsoft will call Windows 10's next update the 'Autumn Creators Update' in the UK | Windows Central Update: The Windows 10 Autumn Creators Update will be called 'Fall Creators Update' after all | Windows Central
Windows 10 News
Solved What is the Disk Space Requirement for Windows 10 Fall Update?
Hi, I have a Nextpad device that comes with Windows 10 installed on it. I did not yet install any user application on it, and the File Explorer reports that it has about 16G out of a total 28G disk space available. Now Windows Update has found the...
Windows Updates and Activation
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:44.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums