Windows 10: Windows 10 takes long time to reboot, shutdown and/or logout.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 9
    Windows 10 1703
       17 Jul 2017 #1

    Windows 10 takes long time to reboot, shutdown and/or logout.


    My laptop has windows 10 enterprise 64bit build 1703 and it is on company domain and bitlocker encryption is enabled on SSD.

    Sometime but not all the time, laptop takes long time to reboot, shutdown and/or logout. Did the sfc scan and found nothing. An interesting thing I found is: if I pull out the power adapter while stuck in reboot, shutdown or logout, the laptop almost immediately finishes the action correspondingly...

    Any idea why?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    17 Jul 2017 #2

    If it's a laptop then it'll likely be caused by a faulty device driver... Try enabling the "Detailed Status Messages" option and post the name for the component taking the longest time to execute:
    Detailed Status Messages - Logon, Logoff, and Shutdown

    Note: That method is for all versions of Windows not just Vista.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 9
    Windows 10 1703
    Thread Starter
       18 Jul 2017 #3

    dmex said: View Post
    ...Try enabling the "Detailed Status Messages" option and post the name for the component taking the longest time to execute:
    Detailed Status Messages - Logon, Logoff, and Shutdown

    Note: That method is for all versions of Windows not just Vista.
    I tried local group policy editor but mine doesnot even have the option for "Verbose vs normal status messages".
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    18 Jul 2017 #4

    m1xed0s said: View Post
    I tried local group policy editor but mine doesnot even have the option for "Verbose vs normal status messages".
    Looks like it was renamed "Display highly detailed status messages" on Windows 10:
    https://i.imgur.com/Q8KXLJS.png
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 9
    Windows 10 1703
    Thread Starter
       18 Jul 2017 #5

    dmex said: View Post
    Looks like it was renamed "Display highly detailed status messages" on Windows 10:
    https://i.imgur.com/Q8KXLJS.png
    Thanks, I now have that option enabled. Can I ask which section in event viewer should contain these related logs, the system under Windows Logs?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    18 Jul 2017 #6

    m1xed0s said: View Post
    Thanks, I now have that option enabled. Can I ask which section in event viewer should contain these related logs, the system under Windows Logs?
    The status messages are shown during logoff/shutdown/reboot and there's no information added to the log file... The status messages simply show what's happening during logoff/shutdown/reboot and help identify the component responsible for the long shutdown duration (e.g. Windows Update, DCOM, User profile service etc).

    If you can name the component causing the long shutdown then it'll be easier to say what's likely the root cause
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 9
    Windows 10 1703
    Thread Starter
       18 Jul 2017 #7

    dmex said: View Post
    The status messages are shown during logoff/shutdown/reboot and there's no information added to the log file... The status messages simply show what's happening during logoff/shutdown/reboot and help identify the component responsible for the long shutdown duration (e.g. Windows Update, DCOM, User profile service etc).

    If you can name the component causing the long shutdown then it'll be easier to say what's likely the root cause
    Got you :) I will reboot to see if any slowness happening and report back. Mine does not happen all the time though...
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 9
    Windows 10 1703
    Thread Starter
       18 Jul 2017 #8

    dmex said: View Post
    The status messages are shown during logoff/shutdown/reboot and there's no information added to the log file... The status messages simply show what's happening during logoff/shutdown/reboot and help identify the component responsible for the long shutdown duration (e.g. Windows Update, DCOM, User profile service etc).

    If you can name the component causing the long shutdown then it'll be easier to say what's likely the root cause
    Okey tried shutdown and reboot, no issue at all. Pretty quick. But now stuck on signing out... no further messages on screen other than just spinning dots on top of "signing out".

    Plus I tried to unplug power adapter and this time did not help either...

    Advise?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    19 Jul 2017 #9

    m1xed0s said: View Post
    Okey tried shutdown and reboot, no issue at all. Pretty quick. But now stuck on signing out... no further messages on screen other than just spinning dots on top of "signing out".

    Plus I tried to unplug power adapter and this time did not help either...

    Advise?
    Not sure. The logoff process is difficult to diagnose without an idea where to look for the cause especially if you don't have any debugging experience - generally it's some form of corruption caused by software you've installed (e.g. software with drivers and/or OEM utilities) or something that's happened during an upgrade from a previous version of Windows.

    In this case it's just quicker and easier to reinstall Windows than to make random suggestions trying to solve it... If you still have the issue after reinstalling then it's probably hardware related.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 9
    Windows 10 1703
    Thread Starter
       20 Jul 2017 #10

    dmex said: View Post
    Not sure. The logoff process is difficult to diagnose without an idea where to look for the cause especially if you don't have any debugging experience - generally it's some form of corruption caused by software you've installed (e.g. software with drivers and/or OEM utilities) or something that's happened during an upgrade from a previous version of Windows.

    In this case it's just quicker and easier to reinstall Windows than to make random suggestions trying to solve it... If you still have the issue after reinstalling then it's probably hardware related.
    Reinstalling is not an easy option for me...Fotunatelt slowness does not happen all the time.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
A couple weeks ago, my Windows 10 computer started taking a LONG time to login. The times have been going up and down, with a max of about 15.5 minutes, which happened today. Here's what I've tried to solve this issue: 1. Do a clean boot (no...
I have a laptop with a slightly damaged motherboard, which does not allow the laptop to derive power from the battery. Consequently, in case of a power shutdown, the laptop shuts down. The booting after this unexpected shutdown takes a very...
Windows 10 takes a long time to do any task! in Performance & Maintenance
I have a Lenovo z510 Laptop with 6GB of DDR3 RAM and 1TB of HDD and 8 Logical cores of a Core i7 4702MQ CPU processing at 3GHz ... I don't say that it is a high end system(and it is not!) but neither I think that it is a Low End or even Low Mid...
Here is the simple solution to fixing the Windows 10 taking long time to delete files and folders problem. THE PROBLEM: When you delete a big file (or folder) or lots of files in File Explorer, you notice in the popup window the green...
So, I've encountered this issue lately where Windows 10 takes considerably longer to boot than before. (Usually 4 to 5 minutes) It used to boot under 30 seconds before so I don't know what went wrong here. So, the screen with the Windows logo...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:21.
Find Us