Windows 10: BIOS won't see bootable USB/Only boot option is "Windows boot mngr " Solved

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    05 Jul 2017 #11

    cagdas said: View Post
    yes I did rufus and it formatted the usb to NTFS and I didnt change it probably its the right one
    No. NTFS is Wrong. UEFI can only boot Fat32. It needs to be changed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 17
    windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       05 Jul 2017 #12

    Berton said: View Post
    I didn't see mentioned but a lot of computers have a BIOS that doesn't support USB 3.0 ports [usually blue] or devices until after the Operating System has loaded. One has to make sure to use the USB 2.0 port [black] and in some cases a slightly older Thumb drive. I believe the MCT/Media Creation Tool reformats the Thumb drive as FAT32. I always use 8GB drives, 4GB frequently isn't enough and anything on the drive gets deleted in the process so using 16GB and larger is not necessary.
    I am using the 2.0 usb port and my usb disk is 2.0 aswell but rufus reformatted to NTFS i do not know if thats a problem but ill try the asus manager thing rn
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 17
    windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       05 Jul 2017 #13

    whiggs2 said: View Post
    No. NTFS is Wrong. UEFI can only boot Fat32. It needs to be changed.
    it doesnt matter if the bios doesnt even have a option to use a usb disk or disc for boot option but ill try maing a fat32 usb rn thanks for the advice
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    05 Jul 2017 #14

    cagdas said: View Post
    I am using the 2.0 usb port and my usb disk is 2.0 aswell but rufus reformatted to NTFS i do not know if thats a problem but ill try the asus manager thing rn
    Modifying the bios settings is very likely unnecessary. I would try just re-creating the usb but format it with Fat32. That is almost definitely the problem.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    05 Jul 2017 #15

    cagdas said: View Post
    it doesnt matter if the bios doesnt even have a option to use a usb disk or disc for boot option but ill try maing a fat32 usb rn thanks for the advice
    If the computer has UEFI capabilities, it has to be at the very least not ancient. I would say it is safe to say that if it has UEFI, you can boot from USB devices on it. The bios will probably only display the USB option if it detects a bootable USB stick, but since there isn't one, it isn't listed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 17
    windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       05 Jul 2017 #16

    whiggs2 said: View Post
    How did you create the bootable USB is what I want to know. Did you use Rufus? As far as i know, rufus is the only tool able to create bootable USBs that can be detected by UEFI...
    Attachment 142666
    first it said that it wasnt compatible with the iso when i tried fat32 but now that i changed it to GPT its formatting
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    05 Jul 2017 #17

    cagdas said: View Post
    first it said that it wasnt compatible with the iso when i tried fat32 but now that i changed it to GPT its formatting
    Yeah. If you are using UEFI and your rufus display looks like the picture that I posted in my first post, then you are good to go.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  • Posts : 17
    windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       05 Jul 2017 #18

    whiggs2 said: View Post
    If the computer has UEFI capabilities, it has to be at the very least not ancient. I would say it is safe to say that if it has UEFI, you can boot from USB devices on it. The bios will probably only display the USB option if it detects a bootable USB stick, but since there isn't one, it isn't listed.
    the computer has UEFI compability because the current OS thats running is UEFI but the bios doesnt show anything else than windows boot manager even when ı put a disc in the reader it just shows windows boot manager as a bootable device and doesnt let me add new boot options
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    05 Jul 2017 #19

    cagdas said: View Post
    the computer has UEFI compability because the current OS thats running is UEFI but the bios doesnt show anything else than windows boot manager even when ı put a disc in the reader it just shows windows boot manager as a bootable device and doesnt let me add new boot options
    Ok. Lets verify some information real quick. UEFI has nothing to do with the OS. UEFI is firmware that is meant to replace legacy BIOS. The only relation that it has to the OS is if the os can run using uefi (only windows 8+ can).
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    05 Jul 2017 #20

    If your computer has UEFI capabilities, you would see a area in your bios settings that looks something like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UEFI_bios_mode_setting.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	142667
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bios-vt.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	193.8 KB 
ID:	142669
    You may also see references to "secure boot" and being able to turn it off or something similar. If you don't see any mention of UEFI or secure boot in your bios settings, your computer does NOT support it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

    Related Threads
    I have a home built desktop with an Asus Maximus V Gene mob with a Intel 3570k CPU running UEFI on Win 10 Pro 15031 preview. All updates have been applied and I have the latest BIOS from Asus. I have 3 SSD's, each with a separate OS: (1) Win 7 HP...
    few weeks ago I deleted macrium and replaced with pc's own backup option:shock:
    I just purchased a 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD to replace my 1TB WD HDD. I cloned my Win10 OS drive using Macrium Reflect, as I have successfully done countless times in the past from HDD to HDD, HDD to SSD, and so on.. When attempting to boot from...
    Upgrading my wife's Win7 laptop, but the initial startup screen only displays "use express settings" as the only option. There is no "Customize Settings" option on that first screen. I know I can allow Express Settings and then go back in and...
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:09.
    Find Us