Failure to complete a system restore, system repair and system RESET.


  1. Posts : 6
    windows 10 home
       #1

    Failure to complete a system restore, system repair and system RESET.


    Hello everyone and thanks in advance for anyone that helps.
    I am really troubled as I have been googling the hell out of this and trying many solutions with none of them working.

    1) My pc first entered a loop when I tried to remove mcafee with their official remover. After the required reboot it could not enter windows no matter how time passed so I had to power it off.

    2) Because I didn't like powering it off in the middle of something asking me NOT to power it off, I tried to system restore to a restore point 1 day prior to the event.
    The system restore failed and gave me this error I believe 0x80070091
    Googling to solve the problem asked me to rename the hidder windowsapps folder which requires some tinkering to do so. I tried to change the ownership and although I followed all the steps I could not rename this folder.
    3) I then decided to try a system repair instead. It also failed and gave me this error C:\Windows\system32\logfile\srt\srttrail.txt.
    Googling suggested that i do a chdisk or something on command prompt which I decided to not do before I backup my things since in the past I got wiped.

    4) I backed up my computer and decided to do a windows 10 system reset. There are supposedly 3 options. A) reset but keep your files, B) reset but keep nothing and C) factory reset.
    Not all PCs have factory reset and mine neither. I did option B and when asked about the sub option of making a full clean drive ( to protect you from getting your deleted items retrieved by others) I chose the simple delete(chose to keep nothing but with a simple delete).

    5) The reset was complete but it mentioned that it could not delete all the files properly.

    I tried a system repair just to see if my pc is "proper" now but the system repair failed again without giving any error..... I quit at that point...
      My Computer

  2. indianacarnie's Avatar
    Posts : 1,327
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #2

    Welcome to the Forums easylifter!

    Try a system file check, it should find and possibly (probably) repair any corrupted system files. Here's a link to our tutorial on how to do that if you haven't before : Run SFC Command in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 6
    windows 10 home
    Thread Starter
       #3

    indianacarnie said:
    Welcome to the Forums easylifter!

    Try a system file check, it should find and possibly (probably) repair any corrupted system files. Here's a link to our tutorial on how to do that if you haven't before : Run SFC Command in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

    Hello and thank you for the welcome and the fast reply!
    1) I did two of your checks and they were both clean with no problems found. 2) I also did a chdisk check or how its called and it was also clean although It stated in the end that it "failed to transfer msg to the eventlog with status 50".

    3) Also, I tried to do another windows 10 automatic repair to check if it would work after these scans we did but the option is no longer even there. Wtf?
    4) My pc is also seemingly a bit slow when I copy even a sentence to word and it can minifreeze for 2-3 seconds in youtube videos or browsing. Is my HDD messed up?
      My Computer

  4. indianacarnie's Avatar
    Posts : 1,327
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #4

    Well, if chdisk didn't find any bad sectors your disk SHOULD be ok. There's any number of free third party diagnostics if you want to try one of them. You could also try running chdisk again in an elevated command prompt. Use this "CHKDSK C: /R /F /V" without the quotation marks. if that doesn't work , have you considered a repair install? Or possibly even a clean installation?

    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
      My Computer

  5. NavyLCDR's Avatar
    Posts : 15,594
    Windows 10 Pro
       #5

    I would just wipe it all and do a clean install.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 6
    windows 10 home
    Thread Starter
       #6

    NavyLCDR said:
    I would just wipe it all and do a clean install.
    indianacarnie said:
    Well, if chdisk didn't find any bad sectors your disk SHOULD be ok. There's any number of free third party diagnostics if you want to try one of them. You could also try running chdisk again in an elevated command prompt. Use this "CHKDSK C: /R /F /V" without the quotation marks. if that doesn't work , have you considered a repair install? Or possibly even a clean installation?
    Ok, you guys are right. I ll give it a clean install and from there if it keeps being slow we can see what is up.

    I have a recovery partition. How do I make sure it will also be purged? I am afraid a virus has snuck there.
      My Computer

  7. NavyLCDR's Avatar
    Posts : 15,594
    Windows 10 Pro
       #7

    Boot from the Windows 10 installation USB flash drive or DVD. On the very first screen where it asks for language, press Shift + F10 to open a command prompt. Run:

    diskpart
    select disk 0
    clean
    exit
    exit

    Then when you get to the choice, select the custom install option. Drive 0 should be nothing but unallocated space. Highlight the unallocated space and click next.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 6
    windows 10 home
    Thread Starter
       #8

    NavyLCDR said:
    Boot from the Windows 10 installation USB flash drive or DVD. On the very first screen where it asks for language, press Shift + F10 to open a command prompt. Run:

    diskpart
    select disk 0
    clean
    exit
    exit

    Then when you get to the choice, select the custom install option. Drive 0 should be nothing but unallocated space. Highlight the unallocated space and click next.
    thank you. Is it any point to do a defragmentation before or after a fresh install? Or does the disk get defragged anyway during the isntall?
      My Computer

  9. NavyLCDR's Avatar
    Posts : 15,594
    Windows 10 Pro
       #9

    There is no point in defragging a drive that you are just going to erase anyway. There will be some fragmentation after Windows is installed and all the updates are completed. Defragging is pretty much best left to the OS to do on it's own since Windows 7 or so. In my opinion some people like to do excessive defragging which is shortening the life of the drive more than it is improving performance.
      My Computer

  10. indianacarnie's Avatar
    Posts : 1,327
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #10

    NavyLCDR said:
    There is no point in defragging a drive that you are just going to erase anyway. There will be some fragmentation after Windows is installed and all the updates are completed. Defragging is pretty much best left to the OS to do on it's own since Windows 7 or so. In my opinion some people like to do excessive defragging which is shortening the life of the drive more than it is improving performance.
    Agree 100% with NavyLCDR on this.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums