Windows 10: Pc moisture Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 15
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit
       21 Apr 2017 #1

    Pc moisture


    Hi forum.

    I saw a tutorial regarding maintenance on PC system. And the guy doing the tutorial said, that he includes
    A few silicon gel packs in his tower (on the bottom) which absorbs the moisture during winter or cold days. Is this legit?
    or would it do damage within the tower?

    Thank you.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 628
    Win 10 Pro x64 1607 (Build 14393.953)
       21 Apr 2017 #2

    You could check your local min/max moisture values and compare that with the values in the specs for your PC.

    Never heard of using silicon Silica gel packs, but sounds reasonable!

    Cheers
    Last edited by M4v3r1ck; 21 Apr 2017 at 03:35.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    21 Apr 2017 #3

    It's a good idea for high moisture environment but it's not Silicone but Silica gel and can be found in packaging of products that may rust or otherwise be damaged by moisture. Once it gets saturated with moisture it turns bluish color but it can be fixed by heating it in an oven and than it's like new again. In an average desktop computer it would need to be strategically placed in few places to cover whole case, one little bag at the bottom is not going to do much.
    I keep few in my gun, fishing rod and camera cases for instance, Other sensitive equipment could use it too. Using that stuff for at least 50 years.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 628
    Win 10 Pro x64 1607 (Build 14393.953)
       21 Apr 2017 #4

    CountMike said: View Post
    It's a good idea for high moisture environment but it's not Silicone but Silica gel and can be found in packaging of products that may rust or otherwise be damaged by moisture. Once it gets saturated with moisture it turns bluish color but it can be fixed by heating it in an oven and than it's like new again. In an average desktop computer it would need to be strategically placed in few places to cover whole case, one little bag at the bottom is not going to do much.
    I keep few in my gun, fishing rod and camera cases for instance, Other sensitive equipment could use it too. Using that stuff for at least 50 years.

    Thanks for correcting us to the correct name!

    Cheers
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 1,829
    Windows 10 x86 14383 Insider Pro and Core 10240
       21 Apr 2017 #5

    No, it's not necessary - just run the computer and the heat generated by the various components will be moved around by PSU, system and processor fans will keep everything toasty dry.

    You can buy cheap hygrometers on EBAY if you are concerned with monitoring your domestic humidity levels.

    Remember that condensation occurs when warmer moist air meets colder surfaces at lower than ambient temperature.

    The silica gel will eventually fragment with swelling and contracting from atmospheric moisture absorption and loss, producing abrasive and potentially harmful dust that could be breathed in.

    Dispose of Silica gel packs as it says on the pack, and sometimes it also says "do not eat". Don't!
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    21 Apr 2017 #6

    Fafhrd said: View Post
    No, it's not necessary - just run the computer and the heat generated by the various components will be moved around by PSU, system and processor fans will keep everything toasty dry.

    You can buy cheap hygrometers on EBAY if you are concerned with monitoring your domestic humidity levels.

    Remember that condensation occurs when warmer moist air meets colder surfaces at lower than ambient temperature.

    The silica gel will eventually fragment with swelling and contracting from atmospheric moisture absorption and loss, producing abrasive and potentially harmful dust that could be breathed in.

    Dispose of Silica gel packs as it says on the pack, and sometimes it also says "do not eat". Don't!
    Moisture would form after turning computer off. Case is most susceptible to it, I have seen many rusted ones as well as corroded contacts and that doesn't happen in dry environment.
    When bringing any electronics in from cold, always let it worm up to room temperature before turning on.
    Definitively don't eat, it will turn you into a mummy or at least make you drink more beer.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 1,829
    Windows 10 x86 14383 Insider Pro and Core 10240
       21 Apr 2017 #7

    CountMike said: View Post
    Moisture would form after turning computer off. Case is most susceptible to it, I have seen many rusted ones.
    Definitively don't eat, it will turn you into a mummy or at least make you drink more beer.

    It may get damp if it gets colder than the ambient air temperature, or is in a situation with limited airflow, like under a desk, in a closet, or covered with stuff (like papers, drying underwear and socks) that insulates it from room temperature and it is inproximity to a cold exterior wall or chilling draughts, for instance. And yes, the cases may get rusty (but usually not inside the case!) in such circumstances, but silica gel in the bottom of the case will not help, unless regenerated regularly like Dr Who. A desk fan will definitely help, both in winter and in summer.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    21 Apr 2017 #8

    Fafhrd said: View Post

    It may get damp if it gets colder than the ambient air temperature, or is in a situation with limited airflow, like under a desk, in a closet, or covered with stuff that insulates it from room temperature and it is inproximity to a cold exterior wall or chilling draughts, for instance. And yes, the cases may get rusty (but usually not inside the case!) in such circumstances, but silica gel in the bottom of the case will not help, unless regenerated regularly like Dr Who.
    Most rust I have seen is right at the bottom of the case and mostly at seems where they are not painted. Newer cases are better protected.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 15
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       21 Apr 2017 #9

    Ok guys thanks for the info.

    PS: No silica gel was consumed during this thread.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 628
    Win 10 Pro x64 1607 (Build 14393.953)
       21 Apr 2017 #10

    graphomet said: View Post
    Ok guys thanks for the info.

    PS: No silica gel was consumed during this thread.
    Pc moisture
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:07.
Find Us