Windows 10: Cleaning windows after update.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 318
    windows 10 (x64) Home 1709
       15 Apr 2017 #1

    Cleaning windows after update.


    Today I did windows update. It said it may download 1.2 GB. I updated. But space went down by 3 GB.
    I tried using disk clean up in properties of C: drive with system files. It could clean up only 18 mb.
    I tried using dism as below
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase
    Still cleaning did not improve space.
    Finally, I deleted all in windows | software distribution | download folder.

    Is there any good way to clean after update
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    15 Apr 2017 #2

    Do you have a Windows.old folder? Have you just upgraded to the Creator's build, which would create that? Or was this just a routine Windows update?

    If you have that folder, it will be automatically deleted after a set time (that was 10 days for the anniversary build).
    If you don't want to roll back to the previous build, and have that folder, just search for
    How do I delete Windows.old
    - plenty of results.

    Use e.g. Windirstat (free) to see what's taking space.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    15 Apr 2017 #3

    You can use cleanmgr.exe to clean all the temperary installation files.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cleanmgr.PNG 
Views:	136 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	130222
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 3,204
    10.5 Home 1803 x64
       15 Apr 2017 #4

    I use CCleaner + Wise Disk Cleaner (cleans downloaded files among others) + Windows commands:

    Code:
    fsutil usn deletejournal /d /n c:
    chkdsk /scan
    winmgmt /salvagerepository
    del "%temp%\*" /s /f /q
    del "C:\$Recycle.bin\*" /s /f /q
    del "D:\$Recycle.bin\*" /s /f /q
    del "E:\$Recycle.bin\*" /s /f /q
    del "%systemroot%\temp\*" /s /f /q
    vssadmin delete shadows /for=c: /all /quiet
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase
    cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & cleanmgr /sagerun:65535
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails capture_04152017_152222.jpg  
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    15 Apr 2017 #5

    swarfega said: View Post
    You can use cleanmgr.exe to clean all the temperary installation files.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cleanmgr.PNG 
Views:	136 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	130222
    I agree with swarfega 100%. Using cleanmgr.exe IS the Best and Safest way to delete your Windows.Old Folder!!!!!
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    15 Apr 2017 #6

    If you run it as Admin, it will automatically clean system files.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 318
    windows 10 (x64) Home 1709
    Thread Starter
       15 Apr 2017 #7

    dalchina said: View Post
    Do you have a Windows.old folder? Have you just upgraded to the Creator's build, which would create that? Or was this just a routine Windows update?

    If you have that folder, it will be automatically deleted after a set time (that was 10 days for the anniversary build).
    If you don't want to roll back to the previous build, and have that folder, just search for
    How do I delete Windows.old
    - plenty of results.

    Use e.g. Windirstat (free) to see what's taking space.
    Thank you.
    I don't have that folder. I have deleted it quite long ago.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  • Posts : 318
    windows 10 (x64) Home 1709
    Thread Starter
       15 Apr 2017 #8

    swarfega said: View Post
    You can use cleanmgr.exe to clean all the temperary installation files.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cleanmgr.PNG 
Views:	136 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	130222
    TairikuOkami said: View Post
    I use CCleaner + Wise Disk Cleaner (cleans downloaded files among others) + Windows commands:

    Code:
    fsutil usn deletejournal /d /n c:
    chkdsk /scan
    winmgmt /salvagerepository
    del "%temp%\*" /s /f /q
    del "C:\$Recycle.bin\*" /s /f /q
    del "D:\$Recycle.bin\*" /s /f /q
    del "E:\$Recycle.bin\*" /s /f /q
    del "%systemroot%\temp\*" /s /f /q
    vssadmin delete shadows /for=c: /all /quiet
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase
    cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & cleanmgr /sagerun:65535
    OldMike65 said: View Post
    I agree with swarfega 100%. Using cleanmgr.exe IS the Best and Safest way to delete your Windows.Old Folder!!!!!
    Josey Wales said: View Post
    If you run it as Admin, it will automatically clean system files.
    In stead of cleanmgr.exe, I obtained it from properties of C: drive. I am admin of my laptop. Still it has not cleaned it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    15 Apr 2017 #9

    lvgandhi said: View Post
    In stead of cleanmgr.exe, I obtained it from properties of C: drive. I am admin of my laptop. Still it has not cleaned it.
    That is the same one, we are talking about....Worked for me and lots of others too. You could try entering this command in your Dos prompt ADMIN or even Power Shell Admin. Without the quotes.
    "%SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:35 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:35"
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  • Posts : 318
    windows 10 (x64) Home 1709
    Thread Starter
       15 Apr 2017 #10

    OldMike65 said: View Post
    That is the same one, we are talking about....Worked for me and lots of others too. You could try entering this command in your Dos prompt ADMIN or even Power Shell Admin. Without the quotes.
    "%SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:35 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:35"
    Thanks. I will try after next update.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Related Threads
    I need suggestion about cleaning windows files with CCleaner, what files can i remove safely without damaging my OS. And which one should i checklist from menu. I am adding some screenshots. http://i.imgur.com/cel7vkO.png...
    Hi all, I have tried free and paid software to actually clean up my hard drive but then I go looking around in file explorer and see tons of entries such as windows temp directories chock full of files that add up pretty quickly. I presume...
    There is usually a couple of impossible to delete files and folders that prevents Windows Cleanup program from getting rid of the Windows.old folder. To remove them, you need the file unlocker program: Download Unlocker 1.9.2 - FileHippo.com...
    So I have left over the "Windows.old" file on my C drive, which is taking up 36.8GB of precious space. I know deleting this will prevent me from "going back to windows 7", the option in the settings. I have a Macrium reflect image of my C drive...
    Cleaning Windows 7 in Performance & Maintenance
    Apart form CCleaner I use commands in command prompt (elevated) cleanmgr/sagerun:1 and %SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535 My system runs very well so is this enough or do I need to use...
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    © Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25.
    Find Us