1.    08 Apr 2017 #1
    Join Date : Apr 2017
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10

    PC wont boot when I remove secondary hard drive


    Hi guys,
    I'm trying to remove an old secondary drive which is making an annoying noise but when I do my pc wont boot. It just has a black screen and nothing happens. I think the problem might have come from when I installed ages ago and kept both drives in. How can I change it so it boots from my main drive? Any help is much appreciated.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    08 Apr 2017 #2
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 748
    Windows 10 Pro

    So you have 2 hdds...does each have a OS on them? If so, sounds like the MBR for both hdds are on the same hdd. The one you're removing. You can use some 3rd party software and move the offending MBR to the correct drive......
    Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    08 Apr 2017 #3
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 575
    Win10 & Win7

    Quote Originally Posted by Freddy1013 View Post
    Hi guys,
    I'm trying to remove an old secondary drive which is making an annoying noise but when I do my pc wont boot. It just has a black screen and nothing happens. I think the problem might have come from when I installed ages ago and kept both drives in. How can I change it so it boots from my main drive? Any help is much appreciated.
    Hi Freddy1013 and welcome to the forums. You might have installed Win10 and the boot files ended up on the second HDD. Take a look at post #3 from this thread Can't re-establish Master Boot Record on my Windows 10 Boot drive - Solved - Windows 10 Forums. It should fix your problem. I did the same thing a while back.
    Bob
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    08 Apr 2017 #4
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Forever West
    Posts : 3,922
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, Win7 Home, Linux Mint

    Agreed. Conventional wisdom suggests unplugging all drives except the ODD/Optical Disk Drive and the C: or intended boot/system drive before installing an OS/Operating System just to prevent such a situation happening. Frequently doing Win10 Upgrades, such as from Version 1511 to Version 1607, can be an issue with External USB drives plugged in at the time.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    09 Apr 2017 #5
    Join Date : Apr 2017
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by SoFine409 View Post
    Hi Freddy1013 and welcome to the forums. You might have installed Win10 and the boot files ended up on the second HDD. Take a look at post #3 from this thread Can't re-establish Master Boot Record on my Windows 10 Boot drive - Solved - Windows 10 Forums. It should fix your problem. I did the same thing a while back.
    Bob
    Thank you! Once I figured how to get into bios that worked perfectly. If I'd know it was so simple I would have done it ages ago. The hard drive noise was making me go nuts. Thanks again!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    09 Apr 2017 #6
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 575
    Win10 & Win7

    Quote Originally Posted by Freddy1013 View Post
    Thank you! Once I figured how to get into bios that worked perfectly. If I'd know it was so simple I would have done it ages ago. The hard drive noise was making me go nuts. Thanks again!
    Your welcome. Glad you got it resolved.
    Bob
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Trying to wipe my windows 10 hard drive from USB and it wont work
Hi, I built a new system and the last thing i need to do with my old system is wipe the hard drive with windows 10 on on it. I found a few sites that say to download some software (dban) to a cd and then boot off the cd but i dont have a cd rom....
Drivers and Hardware
Allowing Computer to boot without secondary drive
All right, so I have an SSD and an HDD. Windows is installed to the SSD, but apparently Windows likes to create a boot partition on every drive that's connected when you install, which led to me not being able to boot without the secondary drive....
General Support
Boot error w/ replacing 500GB internal secondary drive?
Hi all This is so confusing to me, and after three hours of finagling, I've decided to ask for help! I have a Dell Studio 1737 laptop. Inside are two hard drive bays. Drive C --- contains my OS (Windows 10) and program files. ---...
Drivers and Hardware
Solved Win 10 won't boot, if I disconnect secondary drive(s)
Evening chaps Bit of a problem. I have Windows 10 installed on my SSD primary drive. I also have a 4 TB RAID 10 array that I want to remove to reutilise the disks in my new NAS. However... If I remove the drives, windows won't boot. ...
Performance & Maintenance
Solved Clone secondary hard drive to new hard drive
Hi! Bought a replacement secondary hard drive, but want to know best tool to clone it. My main drive is an SSD with Windows on, but I used Kari's tutorial to move the user folder on to a secondary hard drive, so just unsure on the best way to go...
Backup and Restore
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums