Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    28 Mar 2017 #1
    Join Date : Mar 2017
    Posts : 83
    Windows 10 Professional

    Desktop computer refuses to sleep when logged in


    My system seems to sleep if I do not log in after restarting the system. As soon as I log in, the system becomes an insomniac. I have used
    Code:
    powercfg -requests
    to determine that I have a fairly common issue that prevents my system from sleeping.
    Code:
    SYSTEM:
    [DRIVER] \FileSystem\srvnet
    An active remote client has recently sent requests to this machine.
    To resolve that problem, I attempted to follow instructions given by other tech-savvy people.
    Code:
    powercfg /REQUESTSOVERRIDE driver \FileSystem\srvnet system
    That did not resolve my issue (the command seemed to go through fine with no error or warning messages), so I am here trying to find other possible troubleshooting steps. Any ideas?


    Edit: I also turned off media streaming to see if that had an effect. My system still refused to sleep when idle with media streaming turned off.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    28 Mar 2017 #2
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    S/E England
    Posts : 4,520
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)

    A part of the work to enter sleep involves the graphics driver. Check yours is up to date, or if it has recently been updated, try rolling it back.

    The relationship between Sleep and the graphics driver pre-dates Windows 10.
    https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewto...f=15&t=1217345
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    28 Mar 2017 #3
    Join Date : Mar 2017
    Posts : 83
    Windows 10 Professional
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Bree View Post
    A part of the work to enter sleep involves the graphics driver. Check yours is up to date, or if it has recently been updated, try rolling it back.

    The relationship between Sleep and the graphics driver pre-dates Windows 10.
    https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewto...f=15&t=1217345
    I have had this problem since Windows 10 was first released. I pretty much always keep my graphics card driver up to date, so I do not believe that is the root of my troubles. I seem to recall clean installing Windows 10 at one point, and the system slept when idle up until I activated the Homegroup. I have three other systems on the same Homegroup. Two of those three sleep when idle without issue.

    The other system used to sleep without issue until I started using it to share external drives over the network via the Homegroup. The desktop system I refer to in this thread is my main system for providing backed up files, backup locations, media sharing (but with media streaming turned off), etc. It has two drives it shares over the network that are not system drives. They are both shared in their entirety which does not allow them to be share via the Homegroup, but some subdirectories are also shared on the Homegroup. Are there any known issues with sharing non-system drives and/or directories on those drives over the network and that interfering with sleep?

    Could it be because I map some of the network locations to mapped network drives within my other systems?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    28 Mar 2017 #4
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    S/E England
    Posts : 4,520
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)

    Quote Originally Posted by Xilnik View Post
    ... I pretty much always keep my graphics card driver up to date, so I do not believe that is the root of my troubles. I seem to recall clean installing Windows 10 at one point, and the system slept when idle up until I activated the Homegroup. ...
    Could it be because I map some of the network locations to mapped network drives within my other systems?
    You may well be right that network rather than graphics is at the root of your troubles. This thread (also pre-dating Win10) seems relevant.

    This solution from another thread has been working fine for me for several days now:Run the DOS command powercfg /requestsoverride driver srvnet system as administrator.
    Powercfg will still show the client requests but they will not prevent sleep.
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com...w7itprogeneral
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    29 Mar 2017 #5
    Join Date : Mar 2017
    Posts : 83
    Windows 10 Professional
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Bree View Post
    You may well be right that network rather than graphics is at the root of your troubles. This thread (also pre-dating Win10) seems relevant.

    https://social.technet.microsoft.com...w7itprogeneral
    I turned off network sharing by turning off Network Discovery in the Advanced sharing settings, and the system went to sleep. I then re-enabled Network Discovery and removed all shared items by selecting each individual item on my system and changing its sharing properties. The system now sleeps. I will add each shared item back one by one and test to see if I can determine which item is causing issues. Then maybe you, someone else, or I can determine why and how to troubleshoot/fix the conflict.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    29 Mar 2017 #6
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    S/E England
    Posts : 4,520
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)

    Did you try the powercfg /requestsoverride command?

    Code:
    POWERCFG /REQUESTSOVERRIDE [<CALLER_TYPE> <NAME> <REQUEST>]
    
    Description:
      Sets a Power Request override for a particular Process, Service, or Driver.
      If no parameters are specified, this command displays the current list of
      Power Request overrides.
    Parameter List:
      <CALLER_TYPE>    Specifies one of the following caller types: PROCESS,
                       SERVICE, DRIVER. This is obtained by calling the
                       "POWERCFG /REQUESTS" command.
      <NAME>           Specifies the caller name. This is the name returned from
                       calling the "POWERCFG /REQUESTS" command.
      <REQUEST>        Specifies one or more of the following Power Request Types:
                       DISPLAY, SYSTEM, AWAYMODE.
    Examples:
      POWERCFG /REQUESTSOVERRIDE PROCESS wmplayer.exe DISPLAY SYSTEM
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    29 Mar 2017 #7
    Join Date : Mar 2017
    Posts : 83
    Windows 10 Professional
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Bree View Post
    Did you try the powercfg /requestsoverride command?

    Code:
    POWERCFG /REQUESTSOVERRIDE [<CALLER_TYPE> <NAME> <REQUEST>]
    
    Description:
      Sets a Power Request override for a particular Process, Service, or Driver.
      If no parameters are specified, this command displays the current list of
      Power Request overrides.
    Parameter List:
      <CALLER_TYPE>    Specifies one of the following caller types: PROCESS,
                       SERVICE, DRIVER. This is obtained by calling the
                       "POWERCFG /REQUESTS" command.
      <NAME>           Specifies the caller name. This is the name returned from
                       calling the "POWERCFG /REQUESTS" command.
      <REQUEST>        Specifies one or more of the following Power Request Types:
                       DISPLAY, SYSTEM, AWAYMODE.
    Examples:
      POWERCFG /REQUESTSOVERRIDE PROCESS wmplayer.exe DISPLAY SYSTEM
    From my original post:

    Quote Originally Posted by Xilnik View Post
    I have used
    Code:
    powercfg -requests
    to determine that I have a fairly common issue that prevents my system from sleeping.
    Code:
    SYSTEM:
    [DRIVER] \FileSystem\srvnet
    An active remote client has recently sent requests to this machine.
    To resolve that problem, I attempted to follow instructions given by other tech-savvy people.
    Code:
    powercfg /REQUESTSOVERRIDE driver \FileSystem\srvnet system


    That did not resolve my issue (the command seemed to go through fine with no error or warning messages), so I am here trying to find other possible troubleshooting steps. Any ideas?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    29 Mar 2017 #8
    Join Date : Mar 2017
    Posts : 83
    Windows 10 Professional
    Thread Starter

    Further investigation yielded that enabling my Homegroup caused my desktop to stop sleeping. I thought it might have been my printer through the network, but removing that from the network sharing/Homegroup did not resolve the issue. The only thing that works is turning off the Homegroup on the desktop. I have three other systems on the same Homegroup that still sleep when idle. Curious ...

    At any rate, I am clean installing Windows 10 1607 on my desktop now. For the fifth or sixth time, my Microsoft synced user profile became corrupted. Repair installs and/or fixing the corrupted user profile by migrating to a new profile do not seem to be fixing that corruption beyond providing a temporary fix for several days, so it's time to see if a clean install does the trick. I will post back tomorrow whether Homegroup causes issues with idle sleep mode again or not.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    31 Mar 2017 #9
    Join Date : Mar 2017
    Posts : 83
    Windows 10 Professional
    Thread Starter

    Homegroup sharing my printer was causing all my issues. I turned Homegroup off and am sharing my files and printers the old school way from back in the XP days. The system now sleeps when idle.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    20 Apr 2017 #10
    Join Date : Apr 2017
    Moscow
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Hey Xilnik, I don't know if you're subscribed to this, but thought I'd add my two cents.
    I've encountered this "not going to sleep" issue for years ever since I started using homegroups, and it has definitely been the case with Windows 8 as well. After recent clean reinstall of Windows 10 it came back which caused me to stumble into this thread.
    What fixed the issue for me is something I remember I've done in the past - leaving the homegroup on all connected PC's, and then shutting them down. The end result should be no traces of former homegroup, so it never says "join the homegroup" on every PC but "create homegroup" option should be available. Then, create a new homegroup on the PC you had problems with - while other computers are switched off, and then join each other computers to the new group.
    This has fixed the non-sleeping bug (once again) for me, at least on this main PC ( I haven't fully checked but I'm pretty sure others go to sleep too ).
    The reason this happens ( as I've read somewhere years ago ) is that something becomes wrong with the homegroup i.e. it becomes kinda corrupted and doesn't act correctly across machines.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
hacked? - computer logged into user name I never use
I got home today and woke my laptop from hibernation and discovered it was logged into the Admin account, which I never use. I am the only one with overt access to my computer. I use a secured wifi, windows firewall (which may be my mistake), and...
AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Solved After updates, computer refuses to reboot. Need help.
I am lost as to what to do at this point. The system will not run sfc scan now. It will just say it cannot complete this operation. I have done chkdsk C: /f /r /x and it shows all kinds of corruptions and then says Failed to lo transfer logged...
BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Windows 10 refuses to sleep
Hi! I felt like I should re-open that thread here. I got an issue (on the pic attached). Anyone knows how to kill that beast?
General Support
Solved Computer refuses to shut down or sleep.
Hey everybody! I've found these forums to be a tremendous help with other troubleshooting issues I've had in the past. Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help me out again! Anyway, the problem is that the whenever I shut down my computer,...
General Support
Computer refuses signon with unknown password
Our computer has mysteriously acquired an unknown password and refuses any signon. We have purposely omitted any signon password (hit return at prompt) because our computers are secure. So the spontaneous injection of a password is problematical. We...
AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums