Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1.    26 Mar 2017 #11
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Posts : 1,391
    Windows 10 Pro (32-bit) 16299.15

    Quote Originally Posted by fdegrove View Post
    If you mean defragging as in a typical spinner than no, that just can't be true.
    Windows 10 has no clue on how to figure out where the actual files are stored on an SSD for it can't possibly talk straight to all types of controllers.
    Even if it could, there still would be no point in defragging an SSD drive
    Read the article... as I understand it, it says that the benefit is because the file system itself can get so fragmented that it can't represent all the parts of each file.
    It’s also somewhat of a misconception that fragmentation is not a problem on SSDs. If an SSD gets too fragmented you can hit maximum file fragmentation (when the metadata can’t represent any more file fragments) which will result in errors when you try to write/extend a file. Furthermore, more file fragments means more metadata to process while reading/writing a file, which can lead to slower performance.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    26 Mar 2017 #12
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 2,022
    Windows 10 Pro X64

    Hi,

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    Read the article... as I understand it, it says that the benefit is because the file system itself can get so fragmented that it can't represent all the parts of each file.
    Sorry but that is a load of crap by people that have not a single clue about how SSD controllers work.

    That said, some companies designing controllers have no clue either. Phison, do you read me ??

    As mentioned before, while fragmentation is a non-issue on home systems there are ways to prevent it etc. But on home systems ??

    The misconception is on their end. Just reading that stuff makes me laugh. What nonsense that is.
    Want to defragment your SSD ? Be my guest. Make sure to benchmark before and after.

    Cheers,
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    27 Mar 2017 #13
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,427
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Ever since the beginning of magnetic storage there was Logical and physical formatting and data placement and handling, OS works on logical level for compatibility's sake while disk drive and it's controller may have other "idea". OS normally sees only logical formatting and is not directly influencing data placement. Solid state media takes that to another level and handle data on more intelligent level dynamically changing data placement, moving data around and deleting and overwriting data in cells thru garbage cleaning and load leveling. Some may be triggered by trim command on it's own or by OS.
    Side effect is that an SSD or other SS media can never be completely destroyed by SW.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    27 Mar 2017 #14

    Quote Originally Posted by fdegrove View Post
    Hi,



    Sorry but that is a load of crap by people that have not a single clue about how SSD controllers work.

    That said, some companies designing controllers have no clue either. Phison, do you read me ??

    As mentioned before, while fragmentation is a non-issue on home systems there are ways to prevent it etc. But on home systems ??

    The misconception is on their end. Just reading that stuff makes me laugh. What nonsense that is.
    Want to defragment your SSD ? Be my guest. Make sure to benchmark before and after.

    Cheers,
    Sorry but I would have to agree with @CountMike on this. Its dangerous to defrag an SSD and I've experienced that first hand. When I got my very first SSD back in the day, I defragmented it ONCE and it stopped functioning so I had to return it for a replacement.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    27 Mar 2017 #15
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Trnava
    Posts : 2,861
    Windows 10.4 Home 1709 x64

    Eventhough SSD is here for years, drivers, software and even Windows can fail to manage it properly.

    To disable automatic defrag + preferably the whole maintenance (useless anyway):

    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Defrag\ScheduledDefrag" /Disable
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction" /v "Enable" /t REG_SZ /d "n" /f
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\Maintenance" /v "MaintenanceDisabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    27 Mar 2017 #16
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 2,022
    Windows 10 Pro X64

    Hi,

    Quote Originally Posted by swarfega View Post
    Sorry but I would have to agree with @CountMike on this. Its dangerous to defrag an SSD and I've experienced that first hand. When I got my very first SSD back in the day, I defragmented it ONCE and it stopped functioning so I had to return it for a replacement.
    I'm not saying any different but dangerous ? Not nowadays.
    Thing is, it's totally pointless.

    Most modern SSD controllers take care of things all by themselves anyhow.

    Cheers,
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    28 Mar 2017 #17
    Join Date : Feb 2017
    Posts : 63
    Windows 10 Enterprise 2015 LTSB x64

    You can check if your trim is enabled in the command prompt
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    30 Mar 2017 #18
    Join Date : Mar 2017
    Posts : 471
    Win 10 Pro 15063.332 (ex-Insider)

    This may not answers all your questions but I found this in-depth analysis very interesting:

    http://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheRea...ntYourSSD.aspx

    Cheers,

    WOT
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    20 Apr 2017 #19
    Join Date : Nov 2016
    Posts : 37
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit 1709
    Thread Starter

    Happened again today. Event Viewer shows " the storage optimizer successfully completed defragmentation on Window C:" and also the same message with WinRE_DRV. Trim is enabled and it "optimized" the drive either right before or right after the defrag.

    Hard to believe that nobody here can answer why it is doing this or what exactly it is doing. Please don't post another link to the Scott Hanselman blog, I'm not convinced he has any idea what he is talking about.

    Why has Microsoft purposely evaded answering this question ever since Windows 8 was released? All we get is a blog post?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    20 Apr 2017 #20
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Posts : 3,143
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bumboola View Post
    Hard to believe that nobody here can answer why it is doing this or what exactly it is doing. Please don't post another link to the Scott Hanselman blog, I'm not convinced he has any idea what he is talking about.

    Why has Microsoft purposely evaded answering this question ever since Windows 8 was released? All we get is a blog post?
    Why would someone posting on a forum convince you when someone who literally works for Microsoft (Scott Hanselman) who has talked to the Windows developers who maintain the defrag utility doesn't convince you?

    Evaded? Please explain how they have evaded anything.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
opinions changing over defragging ssd's?
Lately Iv'e been hearing rumors that defragging ssd's is not harmful at all because they have proved to be much more robust than earlier thought. Also that actual defragmentation as opposed to optimisation is a good thing. What prompted this, was...
Performance & Maintenance
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums