Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Joined : Aug 2015
    San Francisco, California USA
    Posts : 806
    Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10, Linux, Android, FreeBSD Unix
       21 Oct 2015 #11
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 12
    Windows 10
       22 Oct 2015 #12

    Unfortunately this is not applicable to Windows 10.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Aug 2015
    San Francisco, California USA
    Posts : 806
    Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10, Linux, Android, FreeBSD Unix
       22 Oct 2015 #13

    mikepaterson said: View Post
    Unfortunately this is not applicable to Windows 10.
    Haven't tested it yet but the registry entry still exists.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 12
    Windows 10
       22 Oct 2015 #14

    Almighty1 said: View Post
    Haven't tested it yet but the registry entry still exists.
    The Microsoft automated fixit tool on that page says it is not applicable to Win10 when it is run
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Aug 2015
    San Francisco, California USA
    Posts : 806
    Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10, Linux, Android, FreeBSD Unix
       22 Oct 2015 #15

    mikepaterson said: View Post
    The Microsoft automated fixit tool on that page says it is not applicable to Win10 when it is run
    I'm testing it on the next reboot... Maybe they are talking about the fixit tool and not about the manual registry editing as I do have the problem with the system lagging even with 24GB of memory when I have too many Chrome browser tabs opened which wasn't there with Windows 7 HP even with 16GB of memory.

    It's actually Microsoft Fix It that doesn't support Windows 10:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/..._and_uninstall
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 12
    Windows 10
       22 Oct 2015 #16

    Almighty1 said: View Post
    I'm testing it on the next reboot... Maybe they are talking about the fixit tool and not about the manual registry editing as I do have the problem with the system lagging even with 24GB of memory when I have too many Chrome browser tabs opened which wasn't there with Windows 7 HP even with 16GB of memory.

    It's actually Microsoft Fix It that doesn't support Windows 10:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/..._and_uninstall
    The article and the manual fix are only valid for XP and NT - looks like this was created to fix a problem that was there until 2003, I doubt it applies to Win 10

    I am sure there is a memory leak in Win 10. I know several people with this problem
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Oct 2015
    Posts : 1,388
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       22 Oct 2015 #17

    Hi,

    I fully agree that WIN10 can exhibit some strange memory problems.
    Even on machines with plenty of memory it may all of a sudden announce you to shut down some apps as it's running out of resources.
    As far as I can tell this is not a memory problem, i.e. not RAM amount related as every time I check there's plenty left.

    Now, as for the solution? I don't know. Strange thing is it seems to happen on some installation, never on others.

    The reg hack is not going to help IMHO as there's no such string there and even if you'd create one it is not clear what figures for heap size to use for xxxx, yyyy or zzzz. Unless I missed something.

    What I did discover however is that this problem seems to crop up when the install files are somehow corrupted. Once that's corrected the problem seems to vanish. At least so far and for the few occasions it occurred on my own machines.

    Hope this helps,
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Aug 2015
    San Francisco, California USA
    Posts : 806
    Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10, Linux, Android, FreeBSD Unix
       22 Oct 2015 #18

    mikepaterson said: View Post
    The article and the manual fix are only valid for XP and NT - looks like this was created to fix a problem that was there until 2003, I doubt it applies to Win 10

    I am sure there is a memory leak in Win 10. I know several people with this problem
    Not too sure about that one because the registry entry exists in a machine that came with Windows 7 HP and I applied it on Windows 7 and it did work. My reboot ended up in the Start Menu not working so I need to fix that first before actually seeing if it makes a difference as I have 60 tabs running in Chrome, usually when it works, I will be able to open 100 tabs without problems.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Aug 2015
    San Francisco, California USA
    Posts : 806
    Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10, Linux, Android, FreeBSD Unix
       22 Oct 2015 #19

    fdegrove said: View Post
    Hi,

    I fully agree that WIN10 can exhibit some strange memory problems.
    Even on machines with plenty of memory it may all of a sudden announce you to shut down some apps as it's running out of resources.
    As far as I can tell this is not a memory problem, i.e. not RAM amount related as every time I check there's plenty left.

    Now, as for the solution? I don't know. Strange thing is it seems to happen on some installation, never on others.

    The reg hack is not going to help IMHO as there's no such string there and even if you'd create one it is not clear what figures for heap size to use for xxxx, yyyy or zzzz. Unless I missed something.

    What I did discover however is that this problem seems to crop up when the install files are somehow corrupted. Once that's corrected the problem seems to vanish. At least so far and for the few occasions it occurred on my own machines.

    Hope this helps,
    I have the string in mines but perhaps it's because I came from Windows 7. As for X, Y, Z, it's experimental as you set it too high, it will BSOD on bootup which is why to test something like that, you really need two machines running the same OS so you can import the registry file and fix it before exporting it back. You're not supposed to touch the x, only change y and z and this is a different article that includes every Windows OS except Windows 10... The other article specifically tells you a value for y and z:
    For 64-bit operating systems, increase the yyyy value to "20480";
    Increase the zzzz value to "1024".

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947246
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Oct 2015
    Posts : 1,388
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       23 Oct 2015 #20

    Hi,

    OK, fair enough. Mines are all clean installs so I can only guess what the xxxx value could be like.

    FWIW, I re-imaged the install that gave me memory leak problems. Ran sfc /scannow which reported corruption.
    DISM wouldn't mount the wim for some mysterious reason so I extracted it and reran it from there and now it's all clean as the proverbial.
    Problem seems to have gone up in smoke and everything has been running smoothly ever since.

    Could be purely coincidental though. (Hard to tell with Win 10 sometimes)

    I've been using an all in one ISO (22 versions of Win 10 no less) and have noticed that they're all somewhat corrupted even after a fresh install. Windows doesn't complain, not even eventviewer (well nothing extraordinary anyway).
    Hence, bottomline conclusion so far, first make sure the OS is healthy then you at least know that's not the culprit.
    (Minor "features" aside that is )

    Cheers,
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Memory
I don't know if this is the right place for this, but I don't think it should be in the BSOD group. All of my HPs are giving me memory errors when I shut down Build 10130. The error is: 0x00007FF94A95CC60 for this desktop and...
General Support
Solved 10049 now requires 2gb memory
Running 9926 in a virtual machine and tried to update to 10049 with windows update. Got an error saying Windows Technical Preview Requires 2GB of memory to run. So have updated VM memory and trying again.
Virtualization
Free leak- free peek- free fun for all
Now I'd like to haggle price! I haven't seen a word yet on pricing for Win10 except it's free for owners of Win7 or Win8 and you make the change within one year of the final release date. Now for the fine print.............. I own two copies of...
General Support
What you need to know about DDR4 memory
Read more...
Windows 10 News
First memory dump from Win10
I generated this using NotMyFault with a High IRQL error..... 5429 EDIT: It appears that the Symbol Server hasn't uploaded the symbols for this build :(
BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums