Windows 10: Anniversary Update: Windows 10 CPU usage 100% All the time

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1.    07 Dec 2016 #31

    davidvkimball said: View Post
    Just thought I'd up date you all...

    First I updated the BIOS with no problem, but the issue persisted.

    So then I reset the PC again, restored My Docs Folder, slowly added on programs, and I haven't had the issue since.

    Let's cross our fingers and hope it stays that way... thank you again for all of your help!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    I have read everybody's answer but none of you have pointed out a big error in your setup...

    You have 2 X 8GB of Ripjaw ram & 2 X 4GB of Cosair ram fitted...

    If you read your motherboard manual you need identical ram of same size/ density / make & mixed ram is something you would do with a 1995 pc were they were so slow it did not matter.

    I suggest you take out the 2 X 4GB of ram to re-enable proper dual channel function of the ram ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    07 Dec 2016 #32

    You might try SuperAntiSpyware Free edition, it cleans up cookies and other little nasty's Malwarebytes and Defender don't show http://www.superantispyware.com/?tag=SUPERANTISPYWARE After downloading and installing, update the definitions and do a full scan. Most times a quick scan is enough, but with problems you've been having with no fix so far, this might find something.

    I had trouble before with high CPU (actually realized when temps were too high and my computer wasn't doing anything) use with essentially nothing going on. Running SuperAntiSpyware took care of whatever little piece of malware was causing it.

    Good luck

    RoadBlaster has a great suggestion about your RAM, I had an AMD motherboard, and upgraded to another on for my present MB, they both had/have 4 slots for RAM, I used slots 1 (A1) and 3 (B1) (2 x 4G) Computer runs fine, shows 8G RAM.
    Last edited by CmmTch; 08 Dec 2016 at 09:18.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    08 Dec 2016 #33

    After reading the mobo manual its says if you use different size ram it must be of the same CAS Latency but for best performane use 4 identical rams as it makes no sense to me using different sizes

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Z97 Mem Text.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	277.8 KB 
ID:	112801

    Also make sure your ram is install as the following picture suggests

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Z97 Mem Sticks.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	216.6 KB 
ID:	112802
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4. davidvkimball's Avatar
    Posts : 44
    Windows 10 Pro
       08 Dec 2016 #34

    CmmTch said: View Post
    You might try SuperAntiSpyware Free edition, it cleans up cookies and other little nasty's Malwarebytes and Defender don't show http://www.superantispyware.com/?tag=SUPERANTISPYWARE After downloading and installing, update the definitions and do a full scan. Most times a quick scan is enough, but with problems you've been having with no fix so far, this might find something.

    I had trouble before with high CPU (actually realized when temps were too high and my computer wasn't doing anything) use with essentially nothing going on. Running SuperAntiSpyware took care of whatever little piece of malware was causing it.

    Good luck

    RoadBlaster has a great suggestion about your RAM, I had an AMD motherboard, and upgraded to another on for my present MB, they both had/have 4 slots for RAM, I used slots 1 (A1) and 3 (B1) (2 x 4G) Computer runs fine, shows 8G RAM.
    Great, I tried the program, and it removed lots of spyware and 1 more malicious piece of malware. Thanks. But sadly it didn't fix the problem. Still getting 100% CPU usage problems.
    RoadBlaster said: View Post
    After reading the mobo manual its says if you use different size ram it must be of the same CAS Latency but for best performane use 4 identical rams as it makes no sense to me using different sizes

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Z97 Mem Text.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	277.8 KB 
ID:	112801

    Also make sure your ram is install as the following picture suggests

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Z97 Mem Sticks.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	216.6 KB 
ID:	112802
    Thanks! I've taken out the two 4GB RAM sticks and left the two 8GB sticks there in the appropriate slots. Still having the 100% CPU usage problem. :/

    I may just go for dalchina's suggestion and try that next. Thanks for all of the help and suggestions so far.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    09 Dec 2016 #35

    I read your comments again & you seem to have the problem after re-install of update ?
    I am not sure if the 2 different rams you used corrupted your os (just a theory that needs proof)

    The first thing to do would be download the latest .iso copy of win10 which has all updates & new drivers on the disk, I did this after that update & the system ran a lot smoother.

    I would suggest a full wipe of your ssd adding 0's to it using mini tool 9.1 cd boot software (made with os version of 9.1)

    Disconnect your other 2 hard drives from the mobo & ignore them until you have installed a proper Antivirus - fyi - Norton gives you a 90 day trail of their full internet security with no restrictions & if you purchased it they give you the remaining 90 days free on top of that !!!
    Makes sure all your driver are the latest that need to be installed

    At this point test it for a few days allowing for all updates & the tuning process of your pc then connect your other hard drives one at a time giving them a full scan.

    Performance Tune:
    Optimize Performance of Windows 10 - Windows 10 Tutorials

    W10 Start Menu Tune:
    Live Tiles - Turn On or Off for Apps on Start in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Tutorials

    Free download Magic Partition Manager Software, partition magic alternative, free partition magic, partition magic Windows 7 and server partition software - Partition Wizard Online
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6. davidvkimball's Avatar
    Posts : 44
    Windows 10 Pro
       09 Dec 2016 #36

    RoadBlaster said: View Post
    I read your comments again & you seem to have the problem after re-install of update ?
    I am not sure if the 2 different rams you used corrupted your os (just a theory that needs proof)

    The first thing to do would be download the latest .iso copy of win10 which has all updates & new drivers on the disk, I did this after that update & the system ran a lot smoother.

    I would suggest a full wipe of your ssd adding 0's to it using mini tool 9.1 cd boot software (made with os version of 9.1)

    Disconnect your other 2 hard drives from the mobo & ignore them until you have installed a proper Antivirus - fyi - Norton gives you a 90 day trail of their full internet security with no restrictions & if you purchased it they give you the remaining 90 days free on top of that !!!
    Makes sure all your driver are the latest that need to be installed

    At this point test it for a few days allowing for all updates & the tuning process of your pc then connect your other hard drives one at a time giving them a full scan.

    Performance Tune:
    Optimize Performance of Windows 10 - Windows 10 Tutorials

    W10 Start Menu Tune:
    Live Tiles - Turn On or Off for Apps on Start in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Tutorials

    Free download Magic Partition Manager Software, partition magic alternative, free partition magic, partition magic Windows 7 and server partition software - Partition Wizard Online
    Wow thank you, this seems like a great course of action. Do you happen to have a link to the latest version of Windows 10 ISO with drivers and updates? Or is it here with "Update Now" link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/soft...load/windows10

    And for the MiniTool, so I need to use a CD or can I use a thumb drive?

    Also, is Norton actually any good? I remember it being not so good when I used it years ago.

    Thanks again for your help.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    09 Dec 2016 #37

    You need Windows Media Creation Tool - scroll down a little to the link to download the tool - the software will load the right one for your system:
    Windows 10

    Minitool 91:
    Bootable Partition Manager| MiniTool Partition Wizard Bootable Edition

    Once you have burnt the cd make sure that in bios you have set it to legacy not UEFI, or you wont be able to delete the whole drive, but after you are ready to install set bios to UEFI again.

    Norton is in the top 5 rated security systems & think it is the gui interface which performs differently between the top 5

    Minitool 9.1 will have to be burnt to CD / Win10 can be CD or USB ?

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    IF none of the above works then all I can say is Hard Drive or Mobo ?
    Last edited by RoadBlaster; 09 Dec 2016 at 12:10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    09 Dec 2016 #38

    Try this (the quote is from this post https://www.tenforums.com/installatio...questions.html) if you have a UEFI system, courtesy of NavyLCDR

    W10 iso only download https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft.../windows10ISO/

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    I would create a Windows 10 USB installation flash drive. Set up the flash drive using this procedure:
    Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive

    At step 9, make sure to use FAT32 to make it UEFI compatible (read the important note box):
    9. To format the partition, type format fs=fat32 quick, and then click ENTER.

    For step 12, mount the Windows 10 ver1607 ISO file and copy all the files and folders from the mounted ISO file to the USB flash drive.

    Then I would convert the Windows 10 USB flash drive to boot into Kyhi's recovery tools (see my quote in the middle of the OP here):
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

    Boot the computer into Kyhi's recovery tools, use the partitioning program included in Kyhi's Recovery Tools to delete all the partitions on the SSD and initialize it as GPT. When the SSD is empty (unallocated) and GPT, run setup.exe from the thumb drive to do a clean install of Windows 10 on the SSD. Skip entering the product key when asked for it - unless you have a full retail Windows 10 product key to enter.
    When you boot off the USB you've created using the instructions in the quote you boot into Kyhi's recovery tools which has a partition manager program in it. You can use that program to delete all partitions on the disk to prepare for a clean install.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9. davidvkimball's Avatar
    Posts : 44
    Windows 10 Pro
       10 Dec 2016 #39

    RoadBlaster said: View Post
    You need Windows Media Creation Tool - scroll down a little to the link to download the tool - the software will load the right one for your system:
    Windows 10

    Minitool 91:
    Bootable Partition Manager| MiniTool Partition Wizard Bootable Edition

    Once you have burnt the cd make sure that in bios you have set it to legacy not UEFI, or you wont be able to delete the whole drive, but after you are ready to install set bios to UEFI again.

    Norton is in the top 5 rated security systems & think it is the gui interface which performs differently between the top 5

    Minitool 9.1 will have to be burnt to CD / Win10 can be CD or USB ?

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    IF none of the above works then all I can say is Hard Drive or Mobo ?
    Shoot, I don't have a way of using a CD right now.
    CmmTch said: View Post
    Try this (the quote is from this post https://www.tenforums.com/installatio...questions.html) if you have a UEFI system, courtesy of NavyLCDR

    W10 iso only download https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft.../windows10ISO/



    When you boot off the USB you've created using the instructions in the quote you boot into Kyhi's recovery tools which has a partition manager program in it. You can use that program to delete all partitions on the disk to prepare for a clean install.
    Thanks for a link to the ISO download.

    To be honest I'm very disheartened that I will have to be reinstalling my OS and programs for a third time... I thank you for all of your help but it almost seems like I should just live with it at this point.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    28 Dec 2016 #40

    davidvkimball said: View Post
    Shoot, I don't have a way of using a CD right now.

    Thanks for a link to the ISO download.

    To be honest I'm very disheartened that I will have to be reinstalling my OS and programs for a third time... I thank you for all of your help but it almost seems like I should just live with it at this point.
    you guys actually fixed this earlier but then for some reason overlooked it again.


    many people have this issue and the most popular resolution is to reset your power plan to balanced default, it sort of makes sense when you consider the issue. If the CPU is set for max performance then every time there is cpu activity (which in w10 seems to be always) it runs the cpu at max even when it is not required - a bit like putting your car in neutral and slamming down the accelerator just to run the radio.....engine (cpu) at max

    also it seems that win10 wants to rev this back up after an update so keep an eye on it on certain systems, I have an Alienware Lappy and a very high end desktop and only see this issue on the AW lappy

    hope this helps
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Related Threads
760521668653518849 Source: How to get the Windows 10 Anniversary Update | Windows Experience Blog Download Windows 10 Anniversary ISO (32-bit 3.14 GB) (64-bit=4.07 GB):
Solved Windows 10 Anniversary Update in Installation and Upgrade
I have read other threads on this subject and have not found the solution to my problem in them. The Windows 10 Anniversary Upgrade Assistant Icon appeared on my desktop. I began the process to update and received the error, SOMETHING WENT WRONG...
I am downloading the update manually. Have others had the same issue with windows update not showing the update? I'm not sure my WU is working because of this.
Who will it be? With no glitches. What time? Where are you located? What do you really notice improved over old 10? If you are a paying customer, did you get your monies worth? Are loading times (software and boot speeds). Add your questions if you...
Source: Windows 10 Anniversary Update SDK Now Available! Windows Store Open for Submissions | Building Apps for Windows
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:28.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums