Shadow Copy, uses ? Get rid of it ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. TairikuOkami's Avatar
    Posts : 4,657
    Windows Home Dev 21H1 x64
       #11

    CountMike said:
    When I extracted windows folder using that utility to another disk it practically copied whole windows folder of ~40GB. My system restore was set at 5GB to start with and that's good enough for about 3 restore points.
    SR does not exceed its preset size, it will fail to create a restore point, if it is too big. Sounds more like File History.

    How to Set Up and Configure File History in Windows 10

    File History - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
      My Computer

  2. lx07's Avatar
    Posts : 5,479
    2004
       #12

    TairikuOkami said:
    SR does not exceed its preset size, it will fail to create a restore point, if it is too big. Sounds more like File History.
    Could be. Where are File History changes backed up when your File History drive is disconnected though? I thought it was in %TEMP% but I can't find any definitive answer... Definitely it should not be in C:\Windows (but perhaps it is).
      My Computer

  3. OldMike65's Avatar
    Posts : 106,459
    Windows10 Pro (x64) 20H2 19042.870
       #13

    Interesting because I have had system restore off for months, and my Macrium Reflect runs just fine from my desktop.
      My Computers

  4. lx07's Avatar
    Posts : 5,479
    2004
       #14

    OldMike65 said:
    Interesting because I have had system restore off for months, and my Macrium Reflect runs just fine from my desktop.
    No, no, no - it isn't having system restore turned on or off that causes a problem - it is disabling Volume Shadow Copy Service (the subject of this thread I thought).

    Macrium works fine (as long as the service is running it doesn't matter if you turn system protection on or off).

    Sorry I mentioned it :)
      My Computer

  5. OldMike65's Avatar
    Posts : 106,459
    Windows10 Pro (x64) 20H2 19042.870
       #15

    lx07 said:
    No, no, no - it isn't having system restore turned on or off that causes a problem - it is disabling Volume Shadow Copy Service (the subject of this thread I thought).

    Macrium works fine (as long as the service is running it doesn't matter if you turn system protection on or off).

    Sorry I mentioned it :)

    Ok lx07 Now I understand, guess I read some of the previous posts wrong then...My Bad. sorry.
      My Computers


 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums