Windows 10: Can't create a recovery drive. Solved

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 13
    win 10 pro 64 bit
       29 Jul 2016 #1

    Can't create a recovery drive.


    I've tried sfc / scannow, reinstalling windows, working with windows help desk, and computer manufacturer. Nothing works. I've tried different USB keys always larger than 16 gb. I've searched a lot of Internet sites. Any suggestions?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    29 Jul 2016 #2

    Hi,

    Can you give us some info like what the exact error message is, error reports from Event Viewer etc ?

    Cheers,
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 13
    win 10 pro 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       29 Jul 2016 #3

    fdegrove said: View Post
    Hi,

    Can you give us some info like what the exact error message is, error reports from Event Viewer etc ?

    Cheers,
    "We can't create the recovery drive. A problem occurred while creating the recovery drive." I'm not sure how to retrieve data from the Event Viewer.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    29 Jul 2016 #4

    I've always found Recovery Drive a bit flaky in Windows 10. It works in a different way to Windows 8 or earlier, and the option to include System files tries to give you an installer to recreate Windows from just the drive.

    I had a theory that if the machine still had an older Recovery Partition (eg. from Windows 7) it affected the process, but that's just an idea rather than anything definite.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 13
    win 10 pro 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       29 Jul 2016 #5

    DavidY said: View Post
    I've always found Recovery Drive a bit flaky in Windows 10. It works in a different way to Windows 8 or earlier, and the option to include System files tries to give you an installer to recreate Windows from just the drive.

    I had a theory that if the machine still had an older Recovery Partition (eg. from Windows 7) it affected the process, but that's just an idea rather than anything definite.
    My PC came with win 10 home (OEM). I upgraded to Pro (digital intitlement), so not sure if the original home has a partition that is blocking this?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    29 Jul 2016 #6

    cyclonic said: View Post
    My PC came with win 10 home (OEM). I upgraded to Pro (digital intitlement), so not sure if the original home has a partition that is blocking this?
    You could use Disk Management to show you what partitions you have, but I don't really advise deleting the Recovery partition. Plus Windows 10 Home and Pro are pretty similar in any case, so it is less likely to cause a problem I think.

    Another idea is to wait for the Anniversary Update which is coming soon and hope that they've made the Recovery Disk creation more reliable in that version!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 13
    win 10 pro 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       29 Jul 2016 #7

    DavidY said: View Post
    You could use Disk Management to show you what partitions you have, but I don't really advise deleting the Recovery partition. Plus Windows 10 Home and Pro are pretty similar in any case, so it is less likely to cause a problem I think.

    Another idea is to wait for the Anniversary Update which is coming soon and hope that they've made the Recovery Disk creation more reliable in that version!
    When I use disk management it shows my drive has 2 separate recovery partitions. Is this to be expected?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    29 Jul 2016 #8

    cyclonic said: View Post
    When I use disk management it shows my drive has 2 separate recovery partitions. Is this to be expected?
    It might be. Are they both around 300-500MB, or is one or both bigger than that?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 13
    win 10 pro 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       29 Jul 2016 #9

    DavidY said: View Post
    It might be. Are they both around 300-500MB, or is one or both bigger than that?
    One is 449mb, the other is 500mb.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    29 Jul 2016 #10

    cyclonic said: View Post
    One is 449mb, the other is 500mb.
    That probably isn't the cause then. When I had problems it was with a Windows7 Recovery partition which is a few GB. In that case I don't know the answer. I'd still advise waiting to see what the Anniversary Update brings.
    Also, you could make a USB flash drive installer containing Windows 10. It will be less specific than a Recovery Drive but it's very similar in what it can do to rescue you from problem situations, and has some advantages.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Related Threads
Can't create recovery drive in Performance & Maintenance
I'm running Win 10 Version 1211 (build 10586.11) - i.e. the latest build with the latest update. I want to create a new recovery drive but when I get to the window that says "Connect a USB Flash Drive" and the process comes to a dead stop. ...
Having recently upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 I have tried to create a recovery drive to go on a USB flash drive. All I get, however, is the message " We can't create the recovery drive. A problem occurred while creating the recovery...
Can't create Recovery Drive in Performance & Maintenance
Win 10 is running fine, but I wanted to create a Recovery Drive just in case. In the search bar I typed "RecoveryDrive.exe" and pressed enter. UAC popped up and I replied. The first recovery screen popped up. I accepted defaults on screen and...
Hi there what sort of B/S is this -- surely a product this near to RTM (build 10240) should have an option to create a RECOVERY drive. I'd just LOVE to lock some of those I.T managers into a room with no Restrooms (WC's / bogs etc) with some...
Hi I'm not sure from the description what the create a recovery drive option does. Does this make a bootable repair disk, or USB drive, and does it include the files to restore Windows on it or just a disk that lets you access Windows...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:32.
Find Us