Can't create a recovery drive.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

  1. Posts : 13
    win 10 pro 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #21

    fdegrove said:
    Hi,

    OK. I edited my post in the meantime.

    Are you willing to do a clean re-install ?

    Cheers,
    As my Asus PC came with OEM win 10 home and I subsequently moved to a digital win 10 Pro from Microsoft, I do not have keys for either platforms. Is a clean install still possible?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 2,764
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       #22

    Hi,

    Is a clean install still possible?
    It should be no problem. If it has been activated already there should be a digital entitlement on MS servers.
    Hopefully that will cure the problem.
    If not then I suggest making images with a third party program such as Macrium Reflect Free.

    Cheers,
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 13
    win 10 pro 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #23

    fdegrove said:
    Hi,



    It should be no problem. If it has been activated already there should be a digital entitlement on MS servers.
    Hopefully that will cure the problem.
    If not then I suggest making images with a third party program such as Macrium Reflect Free.

    Cheers,
    windows has been activated. Can you point me to direction on doing the clean install? It would need to include media source and how to install. Thanks.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 2,764
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       #24

    Hi,

    Sure but there are tutorials for doing exactly that here on this forum:

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/?...%20and%20Setup

    I just checked my Techbench link (my preferred source) but unfortunately the page is no longer available.

    Let us know if you need any further help.

    Cheers,
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 13
    win 10 pro 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #25

    fdegrove said:
    Hi,

    Sure but there are tutorials for doing exactly that here on this forum:

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/?...%20and%20Setup

    I just checked my Techbench link (my preferred source) but unfortunately the page is no longer available.

    Let us know if you need any further help.

    Cheers,
    Thank you
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 13
    win 10 pro 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #26

    Cant create a recovery drive


    cyclonic said:
    Thank you
    Thanks for your help. a clean install of win 10 pro worked for me. I can now create a recovery drive.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 2,764
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       #27

    Hi,

    You're welcome.
    Good to hear it worked out fine.

    Cheers,
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 459
    Windows 8&10
       #28

    I had two machines, both refused to make a recovery drive with the System files box checked.

    I ran SFC on one and it showed the opencl.dll (Nvidia) as being repaired. The Recovery Drive creation worked after a reboot.

    The other machine showed the same bad file and could not repair it. I had to uncheck the System files check box to get a recovery drive, which only contains the Recovery Tools.

    So, from what I have seen, possibly the Recovery Tools image path is not correct or there is a bad system file. Unchecking the System files box may allow for at least a basic Recovery drive.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 13
    win 10 pro 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #29

    Saltgrass said:
    I had two machines, both refused to make a recovery drive with the System files box checked.

    I ran SFC on one and it showed the opencl.dll (Nvidia) as being repaired. The Recovery Drive creation worked after a reboot.

    The other machine showed the same bad file and could not repair it. I had to uncheck the System files check box to get a recovery drive, which only contains the Recovery Tools.

    So, from what I have seen, possibly the Recovery Tools image path is not correct or there is a bad system file. Unchecking the System files box may allow for at least a basic Recovery drive.
    There was 2 recovery partitions on my c drive. Clean install reduced it back to one recovery partition. After that, the recovery system was able to create a recovery drive, including the System files.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 1
    W10-Pro
       #30

    Tied it twice - without system files and then with system files


    Sounds crazy, but I could not get past the "a problem occurred while creating the recovery drive" when also selecting the checkbox "backup system files to the recovery drive." So I did it in two steps to my USB: First without the checkbox and immediately again (without exiting the recovery program), I then selected the checkbox. All seems well.
      My Computer


 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:48.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums